Looking for Help

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

Looking for Help

Postby Coho_Joe » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:15 pm

My friend and I, who are both new to hunting, would really appreciate some suggestions as to where to go hunting for the season opener. My friend is leaving for the Coast Guard on Oct 24th. I go to UW and we can only go on the 14th and 15th. We have access to a 12 ft row boat, no dog, and only 12 decoys. Please help!!!
Coho_Joe
hunter

Postby T-Bone » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:37 pm

So...where do you live and how far are you willing to travel?
T-Bone
hunter

Postby Coho_Joe » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:51 pm

I live in Seattle and would be willing to travel anywhere within probably 6 hours. Where did you have in mind?
Coho_Joe
hunter

Postby webfeet » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:01 am

kansas. :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:
"why are they landing over there?"
"hold my gun, i can't steer"
WAR WAZZU!!!
webfeet
hunter

Postby T-Bone » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:59 am

Some ideas: http://wdfw.wa.gov/lands/r2wlarea.htm

For more local ideas, check the "Made It" thread and the duck and goose hunting related threads.

Good luck! :smile:
T-Bone
hunter

Postby Coho_Joe » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:41 pm

Thanks for the advice. I think we are going to go to Potholes. This is going to be awesome! BTW, will Potholes be ok if we don't have a dog? Should we bring our row boat?
Coho_Joe
hunter

Postby MacAttack » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:07 pm

Check out Toppinish Wildlife refuge (its by yakima) I don't know if there is enough water yet, maybe someone else with have more insight, but you don't need a dog or a boat
MacAttack
hunter

Postby choclab » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:10 pm

MacAttack wrote:Check out Toppinish Wildlife refuge (its by yakima) I don't know if there is enough water yet, maybe someone else with have more insight, but you don't need a dog or a boat

I tried that place once...................Too damn many sky busters and people who don't know how to call. I will never go back there on a weekend. It might be an alright spot during the middle of the week.
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby T-Bone » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:20 pm

Coho_Joe wrote:Thanks for the advice. I think we are going to go to Potholes. This is going to be awesome! BTW, will Potholes be ok if we don't have a dog? Should we bring our row boat?

You're welcome!

The boat would be handy in some areas. I heavily suggest you go over sometime Friday and scout a bit. You want an area picked out before Opening Day / Saturday morning. Also, you can camp in some places; if staying at a motel, call ahead or you maybe SOL for a room.
T-Bone
hunter

Postby MacAttack » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:25 pm

Yeah Toppinish can get pretty bad, it pisses me off all the time. I can't even count how many times I have put on the comment card to get more game wardens down there to enforce that. And week days are much different, your limited though, you can only hunt tuesday and thursday (i think).
MacAttack
hunter

Postby T-Bone » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:54 am

Another suggestion: P/U a copy of the Washington Atlas & Gazeeter; on about p.15 it lists the major Public Wildlife Hunting Areas. You can buy a copy at most major sporting goods or bookstores.

For info. on Toppenish and the other Columbia River Refuges:

http://www.fws.gov/midcolumbiariver/morehunt.htm
T-Bone
hunter

Postby Coho_Joe » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:23 am

I really appreciate all the advice from everyone. It makes me much less nervous about hunting for the first time. Just a quick question...Are there blinds around Potholes that are first come first serve? How does the actual claiming of a spot work? I don't want to go out there and make everyone mad...
Coho_Joe
hunter

Postby choclablibby » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:06 pm

You do not need to go that far at all. Just head down I 5 about 50 miles and hit nisqally
choclablibby
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting