Nisqually Wildlife Refuge - hunting on foot

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, h2ofowlr, brokerbyduck

Nisqually Wildlife Refuge - hunting on foot

Postby bluebiller » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:25 pm

Drove by Nisqually last Friday on the way to Cabela's towards Olympia and always cannot help but notice the marshland towards Puget Sound and how nice it would be to explore and eventually hunt their on foot and not by boat for waterfowl. I've attempted to scout out the area around the periphery roads, but never found a suitable place to park the truck and hike in. The boat landing on the west side at the water gives somewhat of an access to this territory (I believe), but a boat appears to be a must to get over there onto the land to hunt. Any of you hunt there on this land by foot without the use of a boat?

Anyway, spent some money on some camo clothing and a hat at Cabela's. Shopped 5 hours with the wife and ate a great burger in the restaurant area. The place always amazes me. I could literally spend all day there. Was going to buy some BB Hevi-Shot, but decided to wait as it was expensive compared to other stores.
The only thing Cabela's didn't have was .38 special ammo. No one sells it any longer. I checked Wahlmart (Kent) as well as Outdoor Emporium (Seattle) before the Sounders match last Saturday near CenturyLink Field. Did not see any at all. I'm kinda thinking that this must be a message of some sort to the people of the USA regarding .38 special ammo and non-stocking of the product any longer.

Already bought my license and Fed stamp. Exercising and working out to meet the challenges ahead. Looking forward to a great 2013 hunting season!
bluebiller

"decoyless, pass, jump, and sneak hunting ..... falling to earth and getting your face dirty"
bluebiller
hunter

Re: Nisqually Wildlife Refuge - hunting on foot

Postby low97ram » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:21 am

never heard of anyone hunting from foot out there...mainly because it's so tidal and can get really DEEP.

check this out...hope it helps.

http://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/Region ... 5.12.pdf#a

http://www.fws.gov/refuge/Nisqually/vis ... nting.html

pete
Pete
Duck chaser
USN (retired)
low97ram
hunter

Postby Tool-Man » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:59 am

Bluebiller, I like you already. You have A.D.D. like me. :yes:
Last edited by Tool-Man on Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Join WWA to save the sport. Ask me about it. http://www.waduck.org
Tool-Man
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:11 am

Nisqually, on foot? How long can you tread water?

Buy a small boat and reliable motor and don't go out in bad weather.

If your crazy enough to hunt that area on foot, your crazy enough to hunt with me. Catch a ride down with some of the guys that make the trip down from your area for a hunt on the lower Columbia River.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby bknilvr00 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:21 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:Nisqually, on foot? How long can you tread water?

Buy a small boat and reliable motor and don't go out in bad weather.

If your crazy enough to hunt that area on foot, your crazy enough to hunt with me. Catch a ride down with some of the guys that make the trip down from your area for a hunt on the lower Columbia River.

Heck yeah! I can pick up anyone north of where we hunt. Purely for selfish reasons of course. Next stuck boat is pulled by the newest guy...

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
bknilvr00
hunter

Postby bluebiller » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:48 pm

Hey, good feedback. Thanks guys. And it's great to be back!
Sure are all funny. Tool-man, Scauphunter, and bknilvr, all the regulars! I'm smiling. LOL!
And thanks lowram for the maps. I sort of had these (or similar) already. But that's ok, diffo versions.

So ..... I was a swimmer in high school, so I think I can still tread water. That is above the water!

:beer:
bluebiller

"decoyless, pass, jump, and sneak hunting ..... falling to earth and getting your face dirty"
bluebiller
hunter

Postby Drake Drayage » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:42 pm

For the record, I have personally seen someone at Nisqually get stuck up to their chest in mud (FACT) and had to crawl our of his waders (FACT) in order to save himself before the tide came in... If you hunt on foot, let me know - I'd love to see that again!!! :hammer: :lol3:
Shade Prostaff
Blackberry Kazoo Boy Productions
Drake Drayage
hunter

Postby Shade » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:26 am

I don't know... I only hunted there once, but there is a pretty nice walking trail to that Pagoda Blind.
Shade,
Yard Buck pro-staff trainee
Shade
hunter

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:56 am

bluebiller wrote:Drove by Nisqually last Friday on the way to Cabela's towards Olympia and always cannot help but notice the marshland towards Puget Sound and how nice it would be to explore and eventually hunt their on foot and not by boat for waterfowl. I've attempted to scout out the area around the periphery roads, but never found a suitable place to park the truck and hike in. The boat landing on the west side at the water gives somewhat of an access to this territory (I believe), but a boat appears to be a must to get over there onto the land to hunt. Any of you hunt there on this land by foot without the use of a boat?

Anyway, spent some money on some camo clothing and a hat at Cabela's. Shopped 5 hours with the wife and ate a great burger in the restaurant area. The place always amazes me. I could literally spend all day there. Was going to buy some BB Hevi-Shot, but decided to wait as it was expensive compared to other stores.
The only thing Cabela's didn't have was .38 special ammo. No one sells it any longer. I checked Wahlmart (Kent) as well as Outdoor Emporium (Seattle) before the Sounders match last Saturday near CenturyLink Field. Did not see any at all. I'm kinda thinking that this must be a message of some sort to the people of the USA regarding .38 special ammo and non-stocking of the product any longer.

Already bought my license and Fed stamp. Exercising and working out to meet the challenges ahead. Looking forward to a great 2013 hunting season!

AAAAaaaaaaaaa, ... Blue, if you need .38 special ammo ... come down to TC. Every store here has it. Ranch & Home, Griggs (both) Sportsmans AND Wal-mart. Mama has a .38spec soooooooooo gotta stock up when I can on it. Give me a PM if you want me to pick ya up some.
: Waterfowl Junkie & Host of "Pacific Flyway Radio"

Ragged Outdoors Pro Staff Drinking Team
Killians Irish Red Pro Staff Drinking Team
Famous Dave's BBQ Rib Tip Platter Phat Boy Team
BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:07 pm

Sportsman's Warehouse in Puyallup had a bunch of .38 special yesterday.

Don't try hunting Nisqually on foot.
I've probably walked miles out there pushing or pulling boats. The mud is fine to walk on until it isn't. When it isn't, if you don't have a boat to push up on, you are screwed. Not screwed like inconvenient, screwed like life threatening situation.

If you are in Renton, I think you'd have better walk in options if you headed North.
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:21 am

Hey, Bknilvr. Have you got that pod tuned up for season yet? I have a line on a buddies 10' pod that I can use this season so I may hold off on the 12 foot pod purchase. I plan to take Bella out for a run or two in it to see how we fit.

I found a new spot on the Big C that is going to be incredible for hunting with the pods. It has a shallow flat with a huge willow filled backwater and plenty of duck food. There are several spots where we can set up to shoot a mix of puddler and divers from the same position.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby bknilvr00 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:10 am

ScaupHunter wrote:Hey, Bknilvr. Have you got that pod tuned up for season yet? I have a line on a buddies 10' pod that I can use this season so I may hold off on the 12 foot pod purchase. I plan to take Bella out for a run or two in it to see how we fit.

I found a new spot on the Big C that is going to be incredible for hunting with the pods. It has a shallow flat with a huge willow filled backwater and plenty of duck food. There are several spots where we can set up to shoot a mix of puddler and divers from the same position.

Havent done much to it yet. Been busy with various other things. Gotta get Murphy out in it for more practice, but it'll be a week or two yet. Just got his boys cut off so I wanna really make sure the incision is healed up before putting him back to work. All I really plan on doing is grassing is up. No doors. Too much of a hassle if me and the dog are in the boat.

bknilvr00
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:44 am

If your grassing the boat up, make a ghillie net to lay over yourself to blend in with the boat. I have some netting I can send you if you need some. I plan to put together a grassed up net for the pod. I picked up some OD green cordura and plan to sew up an open water cover for hunting open water spots.

I am working on scouting some new spots where we can hunt the pods without worrying about a long hard blow coming up and sinking us in the afternoon. Nice sheltered little pockets to put the pods in with the decoys set in tight. We will keep the sled close enough to allow run downs on cripples.
Last edited by ScaupHunter on Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby bknilvr00 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:42 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:If your grassing the boat up, make a ghillie net to lay over yourself to blend in with the boat. I have some netting I can send you if you need some. I plan to put together a grassed up net for the pod. I picked up some OD green cordura and plan to sew up an open water cover for hunting open water spot.

I am working on scouting some new spots where we can hunt the pods without worrying about a long hard blow coming up and sinking us in the afternoon. Nice sheltered little pockets to put the pods in with the decoys set in tight. We will keep the sled close enough to allow run downs on cripples.

I'm going to get a section of the plastic construction fencing and cut it to fit over the pods opening and not hang into the water. Then ill grass up the perimeter with no doors. It'll help break up the shapes more than anything. And for open water, I would just remove the whole grass/fence cover and hunt without. I had mallards bombin in right over the top of me last season and they hardly took notice of me l, with no grass at all. Divers and low flyers won't even bat an eye. Especially if we were posted up next to a certain sand bar we were watching last season...
bknilvr00
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:31 am

That sandbar is going to see a lot of feathers this seasons.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Canada-hammer » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:42 pm

Depends, are you an Olympic swimmer?
Canada-hammer
hunter

Postby bluebiller » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:23 pm

Shade wrote:I don't know... I only hunted there once, but there is a pretty nice walking trail to that Pagoda Blind.

Hey Shade! Thanks for the tip on Rogers Sporting Goods ....... and your purchasing of Hevi Shot last year from them and explaining the shot contents. I retained that info in my hunting notes and bought some from the same place as a first time purchaser at a good deal ...... better than Cabelas. At least the 3 1/2", BB shot, shot of my choice.
Hopefully, Hevi Shot will improve my shooting capabilities in my SBE1 (Benelli) this hunting season. Have a great day.
bluebiller

bluebiller
hunter

Postby bluebiller » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:27 pm

BigBlondeBirdDog wrote:
bluebiller wrote:Drove by Nisqually last Friday on the way to Cabela's towards Olympia and always cannot help but notice the marshland towards Puget Sound and how nice it would be to explore and eventually hunt their on foot and not by boat for waterfowl. I've attempted to scout out the area around the periphery roads, but never found a suitable place to park the truck and hike in. The boat landing on the west side at the water gives somewhat of an access to this territory (I believe), but a boat appears to be a must to get over there onto the land to hunt. Any of you hunt there on this land by foot without the use of a boat?

AAAAaaaaaaaaa, ... Blue, if you need .38 special ammo ... come down to TC. Every store here has it. Ranch & Home, Griggs (both) Sportsmans AND Wal-mart. Mama has a .38spec soooooooooo gotta stock up when I can on it. Give me a PM if you want me to pick ya up some.

Thanks BBBD for thinking about me and my lack of .38's. LOL!
bluebiller

bluebiller
hunter

Postby bluebiller » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:36 pm

brokerbyduck wrote:Sportsman's Warehouse in Puyallup had a bunch of .38 special yesterday.

Don't try hunting Nisqually on foot.
I've probably walked miles out there pushing or pulling boats. The mud is fine to walk on until it isn't. When it isn't, if you don't have a boat to push up on, you are screwed. Not screwed like inconvenient, screwed like life threatening situation.

If you are in Renton, I think you'd have better walk in options if you headed North.

Thanks for the tip(s) BBD ........ I live pretty close to Puyallup too (Kent now, was Renton).
And screw the Nisqually thing for now, thanks to our forum readers and help, I think I better forego that idea of walking in the muck. I still have a wife whose counting on me. (She loves cleaning ducks, big asset if I ever score ...... with the ducks that is).
You ever see those muck walker type boots advertised in certain mags such as DU? I always wondered how they worked. Like $100 for a pair.

Have a good one!
bluebiller

bluebiller
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting