Frenchman/Winchester wasteways

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, brokerbyduck, washingtonmuley, h2ofowlr

Frenchman/Winchester wasteways

Postby ctwiggs1 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:43 am

Anyone hunted these before?

I've just about got my pup dialed in for pheasant, and we're thinking about camping at Mardon for a few days and hunting up and down the wasteways for birds.

Anybody have any tips for these areas? Not looking for precise spots - I've got a few areas I want to check out. This is my first upland bird season (And yes I'll be waterfowling there too) and I just want to see if any of the seasoned pros have any tips.

Thanks!

Curtis
ctwiggs1
hunter

Re: Frenchman/Winchester wasteways

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:19 am

Google Earth it all and look for areas that will hold food and proper cover. Find public land areas near private fields that will hold birds. Take your fishing gear along.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:23 pm

Hunt into the wind and towards cattails and heavy cover. Those birds are runners there, especially if you have a new dog. You can push them into the cattails and then shoot them when your dog flushes them. Basically using the cover as a blocker.

Just watch out, the hens can have some long tail feathers too.
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby ctwiggs1 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:28 pm

Yeah one thing I've learned hunting in Cooke Canyon for training - hunt by color not by shape. If I can't see rooster color, I don't shoot. So not worth the ticket.

My dog has been killing it - a few minor obedience issues but we're just about there.

Curtis
ctwiggs1
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting