Duck Call education. Where to start?

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, h2ofowlr, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck

Duck Call education. Where to start?

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:36 am

This will sound very elementary. But I'm at least a step or two above that. But I'm ready to take the 3rd step.

What am I missing by not owning a Daisy Cutter? I guess in lost in the entire hubbub of acrylic calls and collectors status. The Southern boys are really wrapped up in call collections it seems. How many variations of the Daisy Cutter are there? Full scroll, colors, etc. I'm clueless.

I am willing to invest in one High Dollar call this season. I have no idea where to begin looking. Literally a Ford, Chevy, Dodge thing I feel. I've run shelf calls to this point. I open and test them. I have my preferences. I think some sound like crap and shod never have left the shop. Others sound like gold for only $29.

I doubt I'm running to Cabelas to put on a 1 hour clinic for the whole store while I run thru 26 Hail Calls. And I'm not too proud to run a used call. It's only spit.....

But what dart to throw? I know I like double. Would like to try a single. But not on a $159 gamble.

Are there any "classic" calls that just flat get it done??

That's how I perceive the Daisy Cutter to be. I wanted to be a Zink Fanboy. But I run a Quackhead way better than his $20 PH-2. So now what???

For that matter, are there any opinions on an easy blowing goose calls with lots of back pressure? I shot a good handful of geese by chance. If I could even have made a feed call I could have added a bunch more. Didnt even have a call on my lanyard.
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Re: Duck Call education. Where to start?

Postby duurty1 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:39 am

I couldnt tell you the first thing about duck calls. I am absolutely horriable with one...I hunt with a couple of guys that are pretty good with them so I don't even take one with me. But for geese I use a RNT hunter series. They are like 50 bucks and since they are wood they aren't too loud for hunting over water. Plus I can make it sound just as good as those 150-200 dollar calls. Good luck with the investment, those acrilics are sure pretty though.
duurty1
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:04 pm

I am using cheap calls I bought in college over 20 years ago and still killing birds all the time.

I would send Meatss a pm. The man has a collection of calls that will blow you mind. He has been known to sell a few now and then and will let you try a few out to see if you like them if you ask nice.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:22 pm

I prefer a single reed duck call myself but its hard to beat a haydells dr-85. For around twenty bucks that call will do the job. I have an acrylic daisy cutter, a foiles timber rattler and a poly foiles straight Suzie (double reed) on the lanyard. They all work well for me but if I hadn't cracked my dr-85, it would take the suzies place.
I'm not a call collecter and only own those two acrylic duck calls. Of the two, I prefer the daisy cutter.

Others will have to weigh in on the goose calls. I'm still working that out, but I am getting better with practice.
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:38 pm

I forgot that one....the Haydel's. That call usually makes the top of the list for cheap production calls. Nice to hear from a local it really works. Worth the $20 if I can find one.
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby Triggerman » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:06 pm

The price tag on the call don't make the caller.

Focus on learning how to call (or better, when to call). The call itself is secondary.

Master the art, not the instrument.
SHOW ME YOUR WWA MEMBERSHIP CARD, OR YOU'RE SWIMMING BACK TO THE BOAT LAUNCH!!!
Triggerman
hunter

Postby Triggerman » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:12 pm

Meats can probably hook you up with that too. The calling lesson will be worth more than any call in the market today. Just saying...
Triggerman
hunter

Postby Triggerman » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:31 pm

Before you call Meats, go buy a pair of Air Jordan's (if you can find them). They will help help you dunk a basketball as good as $200 acrylic Zynk call you help dunk a duck. 'Nough said.
Triggerman
hunter

Postby Shade » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:50 am

I agree with Triggerman. Best way to elevate your game is to find someone really good and get instruction while you call. I was in the same place, thought I had reached the pinnacle of Polycarbs and needed a more expensive call. Then I met up with someone who was able to tell me how to better control airflow and make a broader range of sounds.

I have ran the Polycarb versions of most of the big $$ calls and then of course tested the Big $$ calls in the store and from friends. IMHO, the Echo Polycarb sounds closest to its big $$ version. I like Echo and RNT for duck calls. I have vowed, however, never to spend more than $50 on a call. So I found a really great mid priced call that I really like. I run the Acrylic Version of the Primos "Yo Sista" call. It retails around $60 bucks and I found it on sale on Amazon for $49.99.

I am a single reed fan myself. I used to be a double reed guy but as my skill has improved I found a single reed, while more difficult to run, to be more sensitive to airflow and therefore more capable of making a broader range of sounds.

ZINK makes a good range of goose calls from easy to use to calls designed for experts. Wholesale Sports had Zink calls for $109 up in Burlington, but I heard they went out of business...
Shade,
Yard Buck pro-staff trainee
Shade
hunter

Postby billyjett » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:20 am

I agree with Triggerman, the guy's that can really call, can call with just about anything. Learning how and when to call is far more important.For what it's worth, I use a Primos single reed, I don't have a clue what model it is , but it works for me. I still have the old Olt double reed call my Dad gave me when I was a kid. It's an old Walnut call that has a unique smell to it.It still brings in birds.
billyjett
hunter

Postby skagitduckwacker » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:42 pm

BoNalls wrote:If your on the X a call is a mute point. Be the X. Calling is over rated and done way to much.... KAZOOOOOOOO band doesn't work. A quack or two from a 20.00 dollar call will make them look. If that is a good spot they will come. That feed chuckle is a joke. scares more birds than it attracts.
Call makers want you to think... If I buy this high dollar call, I will be a better hunter. Just not true.
Spend your money on your hide.... cloths and blind. will get you more than a high dollar call.

LESS IS MORE. If you need to call a lot your in the wrong spot......MOVE

This advice is spot on. If they like what they see ie. food source, good decoy spread, not you, and are willing to work they will come. Before you blow note one in the field, learn to read ducks in the air. Birds willing to work will tell you by their behavior. The last thing you want to be is that guy who wails at every bird that flies by on the way to somewhere else.
Duck dogs go to heaven too.
skagitduckwacker
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:12 am

Try the call company EDGE. I have their aluminum mallard one. Sounds really raspy, easy for open or timber hunts. It's got a ported chamber so you can change the pitch. Really responsive. Try it out
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:20 am

Skybustingkazooblower wrote:
wanapasaki wrote:Try the call company EDGE. I have their aluminum mallard one. Sounds really raspy, easy for open or timber hunts. It's got a ported chamber so you can change the pitch. Really responsive. Try it out

Those totally blow donkey co*k

LOL sure hammer, if you say so :lol3:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:56 am

wanapasaki wrote:
wanapasaki wrote:Try the call company EDGE. I have their aluminum mallard one. Sounds really raspy, easy for open or timber hunts. It's got a ported chamber so you can change the pitch. Really responsive. Try it out

Only thing that blows bigger donkey co*k is the douchenozzles blowing them :rolleyes:

Hey CH, I got something you can blow on :thumbsup:
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:18 am

wanapasaki wrote:
wanapasaki wrote:

Only thing that blows bigger donkey co*k is the douchenozzles blowing them :rolleyes:

Hey CH, I got something you can blow on :thumbsup:

CH? :huh: and no thanks, I hear Washingtonmuley and Tealer have a group you can join if you are into that stuff :eek:

Sounds like CH is a little bit shaky about the lay off.. Tough break BRO :lol3:
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby AnonymousDuck » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:02 pm

I think the important thing is what you like, no matter what brand or type of call; it's what works for you. A $150.00 call wont make you a better duck caller. I keep an old poly-carb Buck Gardner call in my truck all year round so if I want to practice I can drive and practice whenever I'm driving. It's the best time for me to practice because it's normally just me, unless the wife is with me :no: .
Nothing Runs Like a Lab...
SD/SHR, DixieBrit's Waterdog "Dream" Come True.
Member: Combat Veterans Waterfowl Association.

XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting