New to the Area

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

New to the Area

Postby greatwhite » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:16 pm

I will be moving to the gray's harbor area in a couple weeks. I am from the southeast and have never been out this way before. Just looking for advice on things to do or see in the area. I'll only be here for a couple months. Also, I love to duck hunt. I usually hunt ringnecks, wood ducks, and teal and not real sure where to start here. I am by no means a lazy hunter and looking for a handout. We sleep in the boat the night before where I usually hunt. I won't be able to move out my boat and all my decoys though. Just checking to see if anyone would like to hunt with someone new to the area. I know it is late notice, but I'd be glad to help scout and share expenses, but I don't have any of the tools. I am also a big fisherman, but obviously used to a different type of fishing. I also wouldn't be against hunting with a guide since I won't be here long, yall have any suggestions? Thanks for any advice, but I completely understand if no one has any suggestions.
greatwhite
hunter

Re: New to the Area

Postby greatwhite » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:20 pm

Also, any good hiking or biking trails nearby? Looking forward to the change in scenery.
greatwhite
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:30 pm

Welcome to the state!
I don't know much about Grays harbor but you should be able to find somewhere to hunt here:
http://apps.wdfw.wa.gov/gohunt/

I hunted a few spots around there last year and they can be good or terrible depending on the day. A small boat would be nice but there are spots close by you can access with just waders.
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:11 am

Grays Harbor has some excellent hunting. For big game, ducks, geese, etc... It also has excellent fishing opportunities in a lot of the local rivers. Put in some scouting time, and look over Google Earth. I am sure you will find some good spots to hunt.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby greatwhite » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:29 pm

Good deal, thanks for the input. Is it possible to do any hunting or fishing without a boat? I wouldn't be against getting a small one, but I really don't have anywhere to keep it. I know where I usually hunt it would be impossible to hunt without a boat, so I probably know the answer. Anyway, thanks for the advice. If anyone ever wouldn't mind someone tagging along offer still stands. Can't wait to get out there. Good luck this season.
greatwhite
hunter

Postby jgoetz » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:03 am

Check out wta.org for hiking. Lists just about every hike this state has to offer. Lots of sights and scenes to behold in WA.
Talk crap, get hit!
jgoetz
hunter

Postby BigGoonTuna » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:26 am

i fish the chehalis a lot between october and december, and always pack a shotgun with me.

there are some walk-in areas...look on gohunt, the county assessor, or call up WDFW's region 6 office in montesano. they can get you pointed in the right direction.
BigGoonTuna
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting