Barrows

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, brokerbyduck, washingtonmuley, h2ofowlr

Barrows

Postby Cougar125 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:54 pm

Anybody hunt them with regular success last year? Looking to trade a hunt this year for some.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Re: Barrows

Postby feetdowngunsup88 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:58 pm

I believe meatss did... But idk how that would work out :tongue:
Can we please legalize the punt gun again... I can't hit anything on the water, let alone in the air
feetdowngunsup88
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:32 pm

They winter in the San Juan Islands. I am working out where the best areas are for a hunt. I am game to meet up with some folks from here and put the smack down on two each.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:37 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:They winter in the San Juan Islands. I am working out where the best areas are for a hunt. I am game to meet up with some folks from here and put the smack down on two each.

I've seen them at the Mukilteo ferry, but that's the only place. Shot a Common last year out of my rat doing some sneak boating while they were eating. Hoping to get some more this year as well as some Barrows.
Cougar125
hunter

Postby skagitduckwacker » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:33 pm

There is a decent population in Skagit Bay late season.
Duck dogs go to heaven too.
skagitduckwacker
hunter

Postby Cantshootwell » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:41 pm

Cougar125 wrote:
ScaupHunter wrote:They winter in the San Juan Islands. I am working out where the best areas are for a hunt. I am game to meet up with some folks from here and put the smack down on two each.

I've seen them at the Mukilteo ferry, but that's the only place. Shot a Common last year out of my rat doing some sneak boating while they were eating. Hoping to get some more this year as well as some Barrows.

Dude, just camo your rat to look like the ferry then blast away....duh.
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Cantshootwell
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:00 pm

Cantshootwell wrote:
Cougar125 wrote:

Like the patrol boat on your Facebook? LoL

Sent from my flux capacitor.
Cougar125
hunter

Postby Cantshootwell » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:12 pm

Cougar125 wrote:
Cantshootwell wrote:
Cougar125 wrote:

Dude, that is a legit U.S. Coast Guard patrol boat. Don't be hating bro.
Also, stop facebook stalking me. Weirdo
Cantshootwell
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:27 pm

Cantshootwell wrote:
Cougar125 wrote:
Cantshootwell wrote:
Cougar125 wrote:

Dude, that is a legit U.S. Coast Guard patrol boat. Don't be hating bro.
Also, stop facebook stalking me. Weirdo

At least you know I'm not a 40 yr old, 350 lb man child living in my parents house. :hammer:
Cougar125
hunter

Postby Cantshootwell » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:37 pm

I wish you were, then I could have one other think to make fun of you about.
Cantshootwell
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:48 pm

Commons are easy to find in my area in December and January. They winter in a few areas down here with good depths and the right food base. I am putting 10 foam decoys together to help pull them closer to the boat while we are working the cast and blast routine.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:53 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:Commons are easy to find in my area in December and January. They winter in a few areas down here with good depths and the right food base. I am putting 10 foam decoys together to help pull them closer to the boat while we are working the cast and blast routine.

You're going to have quite the spread there Scaup with all the other decoys you've made!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby Tealer » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:11 pm

Commons are every where. Look for slightly deeper water. Barrows are here in number but in my limited experience seem to be sight specific. In the areas I see them they are always there, but I haven't found very many areas.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby h2ofowlr » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:36 pm

They seem to hang in specific areas in the San Juans. We ended up finding them and we picked up several banded ones. They were initially a challenge to locate. Unfortunately the word got out and a few groups put to much pressure on them. We will see what this year brings.

I saw a pair of long-tail today.
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby Cougar125 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:11 pm

h2ofowlr wrote:I saw a pair of long-tail today.

Awesome! Those are on my list of birds to get this year. Going to try for all 3 species of Scoter, both Goldeneyes, Old Squaw, and hopefully Brant if anybody has an extra seat during Brant season.

Cougar125
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:51 pm

Cougar125 wrote:
ScaupHunter wrote:Commons are easy to find in my area in December and January. They winter in a few areas down here with good depths and the right food base. I am putting 10 foam decoys together to help pull them closer to the boat while we are working the cast and blast routine.

You're going to have quite the spread there Scaup with all the other decoys you've made!

Pics will be posted soon I have been putting eyes in the scaup today. Along with some teal, mallard, and pintail drakes. I keeled 103 new bodies today as well. The second set is half puddler bodies for hens and half divers for cans, red heads and seas ducks. There are at least 6 Harli's and 6 OS coming out of that batch. The next set will be all geese, scoters, and other sea ducks. I have plans to make up at least a dozen brant decoys. I have 8 bodies cast for them so far. I am waiting for the heads mold to get here so I can finish them up.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby wetside » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:52 pm

Cougar ,I got some last year right in your area. Well, problably a little south of you. If you can find harlies, you got to be able to find a barrows.
wetside
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting