Aquapod Maiden Voyage

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, brokerbyduck, washingtonmuley, h2ofowlr

Aquapod Maiden Voyage

Postby aaronoto » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:51 pm

Took my Aquapod out this afternoon - paddles real nice! I was a little surprised by the color though, from the pictures I had seen Maduro looked a little more brownish then what I received, in person it just looks straight grey. No worries though, I'll grass it up and should be good to go.

Fits in the back of my short bed pickup without looking ridiculously large and is a breeze to get in/out of the water. It's a 10' Sport model, I'm 6'3 and can layout in it with plenty of room. Need to devise some sort of small cart to wheel it to a few locations I have in mind, but overall I'm pretty happy. Now time to start scouting a few areas I've been eyeing since last year!

For those with Aquapods or Marshrats do you find you're hunting out them more than by foot?

IMG_0239.JPG
aaronoto
hunter

Re: Aquapod Maiden Voyage

Postby Shade » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:59 pm

Congrats on the purchase. Cabelas has the perfect cart for aquapods on sale right now for $103. I only hunted out of mine a total of 6 times last year and used it to get from point A to point B an additional 4 times and once purely as a way to retrieve downed birds (towed it to the spot with the big boat just so we didn't have to pull anchor every time we downed a bird. It was the dogs day off)

I expect to hunt from it about the same amount this year.
Shade,
Yard Buck pro-staff trainee
Shade
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:31 pm

Most of the areas I hunt are tidal so I used my rat a lot during high tide. Great investment.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby WSUWESTON » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:29 pm

I only hunted out of mine last season three times, but it is great to have the ability to hunt skinny water when needed.
WSUWESTON
Forum Moderator

Postby duckstoppa » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:08 pm

I just drag mine
WAR VALLEY WATERFOWLERS
duckstoppa
hunter

Postby aaronoto » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:57 pm

All grassed up and ready to go! :biggrin:

DSC01648.jpg
aaronoto
hunter

Postby marthagohunt » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:27 pm

I sleep in mine! Do you?
Thanks, Marthagohunt.
All I want to see is feet down landing attempts.......!
marthagohunt
hunter

Postby Cantshootwell » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:06 pm

Can someone please explain to me why everyone is loves aqua pods? I mean, I understand how they'd be great for someone that doesn't have a jon boat or duck boat. Other than that, I am lost.
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Cantshootwell
hunter

Postby aaronoto » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:37 pm

For me it was a few factors. I can cart this into water where this is no boat launch. The draft is shallow enough (and I can portage) that I can reach areas a big boat can't. When I get to where I'm hunting it can double as a layout blind. It's smaller and hides easier than a big boat. The thing launches in literally minutes. It's a lot easier to retrieve ducks than in the big boat (I don't have a dog). And in a way I almost feel safer in this than my larger aluminum boat - just less to go wrong. I've trashed a prop in the river on my aluminum boat, I had oars, but rowing an aluminum boat in any sort of current doesn't get you anywhere quick.
aaronoto
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:12 pm

I used my rat a lot last year and now have an aquapod as well. I'll be using them to hunt water you cannot access with a bigger boat as well as using them as layouts for divers and sea ducks.

They are especially good for ponds that are either too deep to wade or have reeds and or trees that won't cooperate for a shore blind. You can stuff a dog and a couple dozen dekes in it and paddle a long ways without too much effort. I look for excuses to use them, they are just fun to hunt out of.

You can also carry the pod or use a deer cart to access walk in areas that others can't hunt as effectively.
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:27 am

As mentioned the main reason is access to waters others can't or won't hunt. Doubles as a layout boat for good to moderate water conditions. You can buy a raised skirt from Attbar Plastics to make them better for moderate wave conditions. Very stable compared to lots of other craft. They can fit a dog, you, and two dozen decoys. Stable enough for the dog to retrieve ducks from. .............. There are a lot of reasons to love a pod. If the water is deep enough for your jon boat there is no reason to use a pod unless you want to. Come late season when the ducks are really wary. Pods will shine. They might flare from your jon boat with blind. A properly grassed pod hidden right wont make them flare.

Last but not least it is a Washington company. I for one believe in supporting local companies over out of state and particularly out of area companies.
Last edited by ScaupHunter on Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Shade » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:58 pm

I agree with all the above comments... And will add that a lot of companies don't put as much thought (or too much depending on which) into their designs. Lots of boats out there are not fiberglass... Which makes for very difficult or shoddy repair jobs when needed. Aquapod and Marsh Rats do have a rotomolded version for cost savings, but the benefits of fiberglass out way the cost by far in my opinion. Lots of other hybrid boats track just as well, hide just as well, cost the same, etc. But the Aquapod is by far the lightest option. I can easily pack my 10ft pod over 200yds. Easily put it up on the roof rack of my Tonka truck. Easily hoist it to the ceiling of my garage with minimal equipment, easily drag it across a mud flat when tide leaves me high and dry. This all makes my life a lot easier and simpler. Also, the carrying capacity of both let me bring as much gear as I need, dog, and not worry. I have seen 14' ft hybrids that weigh close to 200lbs with the same capacity as a 10ft pod. IMO, as soon as you need two people to move the boat, it has significantly lost value.

I own a Rat and a Pod. I like each for different reasons:

The pod is lighter, carries weight (in motion) better, and has a better shape for open water layout hunting.

The Rat is far easier to accessorize (due to the 1 inch lip around the edge, thicker top hull, shape of the built in spray skirt, and the squared off bow and stern), has a wider cockpit and more interior space (barely), is easier to stabilize on the roof rack (due to the shorter keel and the runners).

You really can't go wrong with either boat. And as long as you have even minor skill in handy work, each will last you forever due to fiberglass being so easy to repair. Paint, epoxy, weather-proofing, silicon, Bondo, Plasic Weld, lock-tite, gorilla glue... You name it and it will adhere and/or bond to fiberglass. You can motor, paddle, pole, or tow them. You can put a tarp/cover on the on top of the car and they become a cargo carrier, I store gear in mine when it's up in the garage. If you have an enclosed blind one one, an outdoor heater will roast you in it.

Attbar and Mallard marine should send me a check for that.....
Shade,
Shade
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:37 pm

Cantshootwell wrote:Can someone please explain to me why everyone is loves aqua pods? I mean, I understand how they'd be great for someone that doesn't have a jon boat or duck boat. Other than that, I am lost.

For me, hunting on the seaplane base (where I took you and Geoff) can be very limited at high tide without one because the water gets deep enough to flood my waders. If you're hunting the flood tide, you can find yourself over your waders and just plain miserable. If you're out at high tide and the tide ebbs, the rat doubles as a layout .
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:12 pm

They are low profile and easily concealable. Great for tidal areas as you can throw them in the big boat and anchor up in the channel and work the spots that go dry. You can drag the boat easily behind you and makes hitting the blind shy birds work in close. I have harvested many birds out of these boats.
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby Cantshootwell » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:27 pm

Crap, now I want one.
Cantshootwell
hunter

Postby Shade » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:52 pm

There was a rat on craigslist a few days ago... But it sold pretty quick. If you want a rat.... You'll have to buy it used as Mallard Marine has shut down production for an undetermined amount of time. Aquapods are harder to find used. Watch craigslist like a hawk and you'll eventually have a shot at one.
Shade,
Shade
hunter

Postby Cantshootwell » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:11 pm

Well, I'm torn. I would like a aquapod but I'd also like a 16-18ft jon boat that is brand spanking new. Like the ones from basspro that come with motor and trailer. hmmm
Cantshootwell
hunter

Postby bknilvr00 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:23 am

Cantshootwell wrote:Well, I'm torn. I would like a aquapod but I'd also like a 16-18ft jon boat that is brand spanking new. Like the ones from basspro that come with motor and trailer. hmmm

I've got both.... I use the Jon boat to haul my aquapod to other areas...

Sent from my space modulator.
bknilvr00
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting