Some Foamer Pictures

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

Some Foamer Pictures

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:26 am

As you guys all know, I have been staying busy working up a large foamer spread over the off season. Time has been of the essence. I sold off all my plastic decoys at the end of last season. Here are some pictures of the results. I still have to touch up around the eyes, clear coat the decoys, and they will be ready to hunt. This is a small smattering of the full spread. I am working on finishing the Restle Coat for the hen puddler bodies and will start painting them all shortly. The entire process has been a lot of fun. I have a lot of things to refine on the paint jobs on the birds. Green on the Scaup heads. Greens on the Mallard Heads. Working on feather splits, etc..... One nice thing about making so many decoys is all the various painting techniques I can practice. With these being gunners, it doesn't matter if they are a little off of what I would like. They will still pull birds.

Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Re: Some Foamer Pictures

Postby Shade » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:30 am

Well that will sure be enoyable to hunt over those this year. Congrats and good work!
Shade,
Yard Buck pro-staff trainee
Shade
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:39 am

The satisfaction of hunting over something I made is a big part of why I cast the foamers. The other half is my Water Swatting Rat @)$@)*#@ hunting buddies sinking all my decoys last year. :lol3:

They won't be sinking any of them this season.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby AnonymousDuck » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:06 pm

Those are great looking, wow, I need to learn how to make those, outstanding! :clapping:
Nothing Runs Like a Lab...
SD/SHR, DixieBrit's Waterdog "Dream" Come True.
Member: Combat Veterans Waterfowl Association.

XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Postby bknilvr00 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:16 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:The satisfaction of hunting over something I made is a big part of why I cast the foamers. The other half is my Water Swatting Rat @)$@)*#@ hunting buddies sinking all my decoys last year. :lol3:

They won't be sinking any of them this season.

Now when you say stuff like that it almost comes off as a challenge....

I know for a fact I only swatted the one last year. And I hit it dead center... Now that I'm doing some battlefield medicine on the remaining blue bills I got from you, I don't understand how every single one of them didn't sink... I mean jeeze. Holes, and lots of them...

Sent from my space modulator.
bknilvr00
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:41 pm

You swatted plenty of them. You just sunk the one you hit dead center of your pellet cone. With the BB coming in three feet off the deck, the outside deeks always take a few stray pellets. Any lower and the second line of birds catche pellets too. I wouldn't have sold you any of the ones I gave away. I went through them all the night before our hunt and switched all the good ones out to the sets you were picking up.

I gave the really bad ones away to the guys I grew up with and still hunt with. They sank most of them. I got a message last week that was mainly swearing about how tough it was patching up the really bad decoys. I guess Glenn and Tim got together to patch them up and realized they had been done wrong on the freebies. :lol3: Best practical joke I have pulled in a long time.
Last edited by ScaupHunter on Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby bknilvr00 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:18 pm

Now that's funny. Wish I could have seen the looks on their faces once they realized it.

bknilvr00
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:21 pm

Those are looking awesome brother! Keep it up!
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:29 pm

Bknilvr. I plan to have a sacrificial decoy ready for the end of the first hunt diver of the year. The plan is to blast it repeatedly until it sinks ( won't ) or is in so many parts we can no longer tell it is a decoy. I think it will take at least two boxes of shells to do that at 20 yards. You might want to plan on attending and seeing if you can meet a sink the decoy challenge.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby bknilvr00 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:39 pm

Muahahaha. I'll do what I can.

bknilvr00
hunter

Postby eagles2069 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:54 pm

Those do look awesome! Did you happen to do any goldeneyes?
eagles2069
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:57 pm

I have 16 bodies and heads getting ready to become common GE's right now. I just keeled them this weekend. I plan to start the restle coat on them on Thursday night. I will let them cure for a week then mount the heads and start the painting process. I should have them done in about 2 weeks.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:42 pm

Not bad Scaup....how much the bills and mallards weigh?
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:43 pm

I will put some on the scales and post up the weights. I haven't checked that yet. I specifically went with a light keel that won't flip them over if thrown out wrong to keep the weight down. It will add a little time to my set up this season but I can live with that. I am working up a connection system and removable trex keel piece to flip them over for when I hunt with just a few decoys so I don't have to mess with careful placement on the water.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby bknilvr00 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:57 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:I will put some on the scales and post up the weights. I haven't checked that yet. I specifically went with a light keel that won't flip them over if thrown out wrong to keep the weight down. It will add a little time to my set up this season but I can live with that. I am working up a connection system and removable trex keel piece to flip them over for when I hunt with just a few decoys so I don't have to mess with careful placement on the water.

Why not just drill a hole through the keel, and clip on a weight of some kind. All the decoys could have the hole in the keel but then you get to pick which ones you want to be self righting.
bknilvr00
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting