Grassing the Rat

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, brokerbyduck, washingtonmuley, h2ofowlr

Grassing the Rat

Postby Cougar125 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:01 am

I have seen several people using fish net, construction barrier fencing, etc as mediums on which to attach their grasses and other camoflauging needs. It seems these are real effective as opposed to a layout blind type boat cover, but I have a couple of questions.

1) Once you cut the material to size for it to lay over the boat, how feasible is it to make a couple different blinds that can be changed out for different hunting areas?

2) Synthetic or Real Raffia? I know Scaup and Bknilvr have been doing some research on the 2..
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Re: Grassing the Rat

Postby bknilvr00 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:34 am

The regular raffia is a proven success. Provided you attach it correctly and take care of it. I really like the way mine looks with the various color blend that I'm running. Scaups synthetic blend looks amazing in the photos and will probably blend just the same. The only real difference could come in terms of longevity. The synthetic may last longer, or it may not. We will see.

And in all reality, you only need one cover for the boat. As long as you are hidden within the boat and can't be seen moving, the ducks will fly right over the top of you. A flat profile is a safe profile in a ducks mind.

Sent from my space modulator.
bknilvr00
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:45 pm

bknilvr00 wrote:And in all reality, you only need one cover for the boat. As long as you are hidden within the boat and can't be seen moving, the ducks will fly right over the top of you. A flat profile is a safe profile in a ducks mind.

Yeah...that's what I figured. The reason I asked is I'll go from the dark brown of kelp beds just off shore by my house to the cattails in some small lakes nearby. I just didn't know if the colors needed to change up or not to be appropriate for the local cover.
Cougar125
hunter

Postby bknilvr00 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:03 pm

When I had my rat, I just left it the poo Brown color it was. If I was in the tidal mud it blended as is but if I was up in the grass at all I would just break some grass off and do a minimal cover job. Get your doors on the rat and covered, then just add foliage from your surroundings. Unfortunately there will never be a be all end all camouflage

bknilvr00
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:04 pm

bknilvr00 wrote:When I had my rat, I just left it the poo Brown color it was. If I was in the tidal mud it blended as is but if I was up in the grass at all I would just break some grass off and do a minimal cover job. Get your doors on the rat and covered, then just add foliage from your surroundings. Unfortunately there will never be a be all end all camouflage

Yeah...I never would figure there would be a be all end all camo, was just trying to figure out ways to be able to easily morph it from one type of cover to another.
Cougar125
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:45 pm

Offshore it is a lot more important to match the water than the kelp. I am making an OD Green Cordura cover for the pod for open water hunting. I have plans to make a second ghillie that will be green with little or no brown. I will use it for early season hunts.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:41 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:Offshore it is a lot more important to match the water than the kelp. I am making an OD Green Cordura cover for the pod for open water hunting. I have plans to make a second ghillie that will be green with little or no brown. I will use it for early season hunts.

That makes more sense. Match the water.
Cougar125
hunter

Postby aaronoto » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:51 pm

I don't know that I'd want to swap blinds, just because it'd be pain to try and find all the attachment zip ties, but it's definitely feasible. My netting is mainly anchored on the stubble straps on my Aquapod, but if I wanted to make them interchangeable I think I would have just gone a lot lighter on the netting attachment zip ties.

DSC01633.jpg

Does synthetic raffia have a good shine to it or is it dull? Hard to tell from the pics I've seen.
aaronoto
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:01 pm

On the roll it has a slight sheen. Off the roll it is a perfect match for dead grass. Flat dull is not a natural color. Everything has some sheen including ducks. I am making th Cordura cover for open water because it is a lot closer to the natural sheen than flat paint. If you look at water from a height in cloudy conditions it looks like a mirror.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Cantshootwell » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:06 pm

Everett, I plan on using a crap load of synthetic raffia on my boat just because the rot resistance.

Scaup, how many feet did it take to grass your rat?
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Cantshootwell
hunter

Postby WSUWESTON » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:05 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:On the roll it has a slight sheen. Off the roll it is a perfect match for dead grass. Flat dull is not a natural color. Everything has some sheen including ducks. I am making th Cordura cover for open water because it is a lot closer to the natural sheen than flat paint. If you look at water from a height in cloudy conditions it looks like a mirror.

So you got that synthetic raffia? Think I could stop by sometime to take a look at it?

Back to the topic, I used natural and synthetic grass on my rat. I went for dark colors, because most of the places I hunt are dark. If I do hunt green grass I just add fresh grass to the top of the blind.
WSUWESTON
Forum Moderator

Return to Washington Duck Hunting