what are

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr, washingtonmuley

what are

Postby duckdogger07 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:12 pm

what is everyones major goals for the year? I am gonna focus on the elusive woody yet again and the long tail duck.
May your birds fly low and your aim be true!


Waiting for October....
duckdogger07
hunter
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: port orchard


Re: what are

Postby washingtonmuley » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:39 pm

To get BBBD on a solid sea duck hunt for Harlequin,scoters and longtails.
User avatar
washingtonmuley
State Moderator
 
Posts: 713
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:30 pm
Location: On the Salt

Re: what are

Postby Tealer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:01 pm

washingtonmuley wrote:To get BBBD on a solid sea duck hunt for Harlequin,scoters and longtails.



Take pics. Love to see him in a layout in that spot.....



I have a busy season this year. I have a diver hunt in Canada this year and a trip or 3 to the Midwest. At this point I may not even hunt in WA.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot
 
Posts: 6018
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:41 am
Location: Along the Columbia

Re: what are

Postby kcidkcus » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:20 pm

My goal is to kill anything that flys within 75 yards :sniper:
Shooting a spike is like getting it on with your step sister, you are glad you put some meat away but you don't brag it up to your friends.
kcidkcus
hunter
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:06 pm

Re: what are

Postby Cougar125 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:33 pm

My goal this year is to have a better year, both in person and on the forum, than last year. I don't mean more birds, bur rather more good hunts with good people.

About 1/3 of the way through season I'll finally be able to have my own time with my daughter, time that I have fought for over the last 4 years in Washington's screwed up court system.

If I had a goal for species, they would be: hen Harlequin, Old Squaw pair, drake Scoter slam, Brant, and a drake Hooded Merg.

If anybody is going to be targeting Brant this year up in Skagit, if you've got a spot, I will work for a good hunt. ;)
There are no ducks in the desert!
User avatar
Cougar125
hunter
 
Posts: 1206
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:18 pm
Location: Deployment again!

Re: what are

Postby h2ofowlr » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:40 pm

Personal goals would be to hit some exotic duck hunting locations. They will all happen eventually. Planning a trip to Baja for Brant. Possible New Zealand duck / goose hunt next year. Eventually Argentina, Norway and UK.

For the near future I will continue to work with my son. This is his second season hunting ducks and he just turned 10. He has been tagging along with me for the past 8 years. He hunted Saturday and Sunday of the youth hunt. So, far he has harvested this year a mallard d. & hen,blue wing teal, pintail d. & hen, green wing d & h., grey duck, wigeon d & h. He has covered a few species. He doesn't start school until 9:30, so until the time shift he will be able to hunt with me first thing each morning. Should be fun.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
User avatar
h2ofowlr
State Moderator
 
Posts: 1852
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:25 pm
Location: In the traffic zone!

Re: what are

Postby BossGander » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:04 am

My goal is to get my 4 year old son out on his first hunt this year. Before it gets to cold.
BossGander
Newb
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: what are

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:19 am

I am going to be spending quite a bit of time taking some local disabled vets upland and duck hunting. I have a long trip up north planned with Scoter, Harli's and Old Squaw in my sights. I may add Barrows to that list if I can find a spot for them. Brant are on this years list as well.

DuckDogger. The wood ducks slipped me here last year. The rain has begun early this year. I may well have a spot or two that will be productive once the next few big storms push through. I will let you know if they pan out this year. Last year was to dry and the birds never showed in their usual spots.

Brant are on the list. I am presently restle coating some Brant foamers and plan to make up some more before season gets here.

Other than that I want to get together with old friends and some new folks from DHC this year.
Last edited by ScaupHunter on Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
User avatar
ScaupHunter
hunter
 
Posts: 6632
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:57 am

Re: what are

Postby washingtonmuley » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:45 am

BossGander wrote:My goal is to get my 4 year old son out on his first hunt this year. Before it gets to cold.

That is what it is all about.
User avatar
washingtonmuley
State Moderator
 
Posts: 713
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:30 pm
Location: On the Salt

Re: what are

Postby WA. Hunter » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:57 am

To get my wife on some birds. She decided to give bird hunting a shot this year and is stoked!

However the Burbank shutdown has put a damper on my opening weekend plans for her...
User avatar
WA. Hunter
hunter
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: what are

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:30 pm

washingtonmuley wrote:To get BBBD on a solid sea duck hunt for Harlequin,scoters and longtails.


I like the way your thinkin sir!
: Waterfowl Junkie & Host of "Pacific Flyway Radio"

Ragged Outdoors Pro Staff Drinking Team
Killians Irish Red Pro Staff Drinking Team
Famous Dave's BBQ Rib Tip Platter Phat Boy Team
User avatar
BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter
 
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:11 pm
Location: SE WA State / Lake Wallula / KPR

Re: what are

Postby greatwhite » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:17 pm

I am hoping to bag a pintail. Just moved out here, so really just killing ducks is my main goal, but I would love to kill a pintail. Haven't found any yet, but maybe on the opener. I am used to shooting wood ducks and ringnecks, so I am excited about the opportunity of killing some new species!
greatwhite
hunter
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:30 pm

Re: what are

Postby Tealer » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:26 pm

Hey Muley, any chance we can put the kids in a couple layouts?
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot
 
Posts: 6018
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:41 am
Location: Along the Columbia

Re: what are

Postby skagitduckwacker » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:38 pm

Eurasian Wigeon. Several I hope
Duck dogs go to heaven too.
skagitduckwacker
hunter
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 10:43 pm

Re: what are

Postby h2ofowlr » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:40 pm

skagitduckwacker wrote:Eurasian Wigeon. Several I hope


The Skagit Valley is the prime location for shooting one. Scout around, you will see some location in the area where you will see several dozen in a field. We usually shoot 4 or 5 each year.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
User avatar
h2ofowlr
State Moderator
 
Posts: 1852
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:25 pm
Location: In the traffic zone!

Re: what are

Postby duckdogger07 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:43 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:DuckDogger. The wood ducks slipped me here last year. The rain has begun early this year. I may well have a spot or two that will be productive once the next few big storms push through. I will let you know if they pan out this year. Last year was to dry and the birds never showed in their usual spots.

Brant are on the list. I am presently restle coating some Brant foamers and plan to make up some more before season gets here.

Other than that I want to get together with old friends and some new folks from DHC this year.



That would be awesome man hopefully we get to hunt together on more than one occasion. I do believe we gotta try for some cans as well. At least if my memory serves me correctly. :beer:
May your birds fly low and your aim be true!


Waiting for October....
duckdogger07
hunter
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: port orchard

Re: what are

Postby Cougar125 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:44 pm

h2ofowlr wrote:
skagitduckwacker wrote:Eurasian Wigeon. Several I hope


The Skagit Valley is the prime location for shooting one. Scout around, you will see some location in the area where you will see several dozen in a field. We usually shoot 4 or 5 each year.

I had found a big flock of wigeon last year that had 3 euros and a hybrid. It was pretty stinkin cool...but posted tighter than a tick's a55.
There are no ducks in the desert!
User avatar
Cougar125
hunter
 
Posts: 1206
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:18 pm
Location: Deployment again!

Re: what are

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:09 am

duckdogger07 wrote:
ScaupHunter wrote:DuckDogger. The wood ducks slipped me here last year. The rain has begun early this year. I may well have a spot or two that will be productive once the next few big storms push through. I will let you know if they pan out this year. Last year was to dry and the birds never showed in their usual spots.

Brant are on the list. I am presently restle coating some Brant foamers and plan to make up some more before season gets here.

Other than that I want to get together with old friends and some new folks from DHC this year.



That would be awesome man hopefully we get to hunt together on more than one occasion. I do believe we gotta try for some cans as well. At least if my memory serves me correctly. :beer:



I have a couple of spots in the lower river that may produce a little red this year. I also have a trip to the East side planned around Christmas this year. Family in the Tri Cities and few folks I have chatted with that are willing to take a guy or two if we bring the boat. Cans and Redheads are on the list this year. I am still working to put together a Washington Diver slam for the season.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
User avatar
ScaupHunter
hunter
 
Posts: 6632
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:57 am

Re: what are

Postby washingtonmuley » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:59 am

Tealer wrote:Hey Muley, any chance we can put the kids in a couple layouts?

Not sure I am comfortable with them in layouts yet.
User avatar
washingtonmuley
State Moderator
 
Posts: 713
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:30 pm
Location: On the Salt

Re: what are

Postby MadLuc » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:31 pm

Tealer,
You can borrow my kids. The little one keeps asking when you are going to take him fishing.


Would like to find a drake Harli and have a day with limits of all green heads.
User avatar
MadLuc
hunter
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:45 am

Re: what are

Postby Tealer » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:50 pm

MadLuc wrote:Tealer,
You can borrow my kids. The little one keeps asking when you are going to take him fishing.


Would like to find a drake Harli and have a day with limits of all green heads.



As cute as your little ones are they are a little small yet.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot
 
Posts: 6018
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:41 am
Location: Along the Columbia

Re: what are

Postby kcidkcus » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:39 pm

Tealer wrote:
MadLuc wrote:Tealer,
You can borrow my kids. The little one keeps asking when you are going to take him fishing.


Would like to find a drake Harli and have a day with limits of all green heads.



As cute as your little ones are they are a little small yet.

O.o this convo got weird haha
Shooting a spike is like getting it on with your step sister, you are glad you put some meat away but you don't brag it up to your friends.
kcidkcus
hunter
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:06 pm

Re: what are

Postby Just Hunt » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:48 pm

Pluck and eat a Hari drake... On film
Just Hunt
hunter
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:24 pm

Re: what are

Postby vandeman17 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:07 pm

My goal is to get my 10 month old lab on her first birds. My cousin trained her up at Conway Kennels so we will see how she does. I wasn't able to work with her as much this summer as I had hoped but she has the drive of a champion!
"Coming right at us! A pair of singles!"
User avatar
vandeman17
hunter
 
Posts: 411
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:25 am
Location: east wenatchee


Return to Washington Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bknilvr00, Cougar125, greatwhite and 5 guests