How did everyones opener go???

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, brokerbyduck, washingtonmuley, h2ofowlr

How did everyones opener go???

Postby h2ofowlr » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:30 pm

Just checking to see how everyone's opener went. I saw lots of rigs pulling boats, so I would image a few have stories of being corked or the guy that showed up at legal.

Our group did well on snows and ducks. I was seeing a fair amount of snows during scouting, but nothing like I saw today. It was quite the spectacle today. A good day none the less. :thumbsup:
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Re: How did everyones opener go???

Postby ohtajj » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:15 am

I gotta say I will probably never hunt where we went today again. We were there camped out at 12:45am and got the spot we wanted. Threw our deeks at 4 and were sitting pretty. At 6 a guy came in and literally started throwing his deeks on top of ours. After a talk he said he wouldn't shoot over our spread (he did) but wasn't going to move. After the first 30 minutes of him sky busting anything within 150 yards we knew our day wasn't going to go well. The only duck we ended up with was one wigeon that came in from the opposite direction of where we were expecting.
What can you do? That's public land hunting I guess.

The day wasn't a total loss- I did end up sooting my first snow and holy smokes there were a ton of those flying, but way high for the most part.
Hope everyones opener was a little better than ours
Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2
ohtajj
hunter

Postby B_Squared » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:23 am

Sounds familiar. My son was on the dry side. Walked in and slept at the blind. Yahoo's come in and set up a stones throw away. Sky busting ducks as they flew over. I guess these guys couldn't hit the side of a barn either. This is one reason I have a boat and don't start duck hunting till it gets cold. Funny how a little weather drives most of the yahoos away.
B_Squared
hunter

Postby ohtajj » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:26 am

Good call on the cold weather. I don't think Ill be hunting Skagit on the opener again :sad:

ohtajj
hunter

Postby skagitduckwacker » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:23 am

ohtajj wrote:Good call on the cold weather. I don't think Ill be hunting Skagit on the opener again :sad:

I stayed away from that place on purpose. So I spent a restless night at a QH watching rigs pull up, see my truck and keep going from 2am on. Then had the pleasure of watching birds move all around me but there was no sheet water on the QH unit and the birds weren't feeding in the field. Ugh
Duck dogs go to heaven too.
skagitduckwacker
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:32 pm

The tide was all wrong for where we hunted. The group of three in the blind let my wife have first shot at every group of birds that came in. She'd never hunted before and wanted to give her the opportunity. She hit birds, but didn't down any. The 3 of us ended up with 7 total, but left around 1330. Guys all around us were skybusting at anything within 150 yards which bumped a lot of birds. Oh well. We saw a lot and even let the bluebills swim in our decoys.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby B_Squared » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:48 pm

All said and done, it is better to get out hunting than be putting in grass like I was. I do stay away from the duck opener. I plan to be shooting at Pheasants next weekend out in the boonies and away from the release sights. Sometime in November I will switch over. By then, the dog is running a little lower on gas and can sit a bit quieter in the blind. :smile:
B_Squared
hunter

Postby Knighttime25 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:11 pm

Another good opener for us. Four people, limits of ducks and 2 geese by 8:00 AM :thumbsup:

Wack em' and Stack em' boys
Knighttime25
hunter

Postby jennyfell55 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:14 pm

This is my third season duck hunting, and the first opener I've actually been able to get out for! I talked my brother into going with me and to go see why I'm willing to spend miserable days in the pouring rain and cold just for a chance at a few ducks :lol3: He may have caught the waterfowling bug :thumbsup: We get there bright and early, and as we were loaded up and locking up the car another group of hunters showed up. We let them know where we were setting up, so they said they'd set up on the far end of the property so we're not fighting for birds or raining pellets on each other. Sounds good! Plenty of pond for the both of us! As my brother and I are working on the blind we look up to see ANOTHER party setting up about 80 yards from us max :mad: It's not worth an argument, so we'll just deal with it. Opening light rolls around and the war starts. I immediately realize we have no chance of anything landing in our spread so it's gonna be a very short day. Close blind drops at least 5 mergansers , and there are LOTS of geese flying but they want nothing to do with this battlefield. Fast forward to the time we've decided we're just going to pack up and leave. I watch the people in the close blind quickly duck and start laying on the duck call. Pintails!! They miss so as the pintails try to escape they'll pass my blind. I raise and fire... drop one! :grooving: Nice drake pinny (immature or eclipse plumage) ! We then packed up and went home. Great day in my mind. I got to put my new foam decoys on the pond, introduced my brother to duck hunting, and got a tasty duck! :thumbsup:

Last edited by jennyfell55 on Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jennyfell55
hunter

Postby kcidkcus » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:41 pm

Knighttime25 wrote:Another good opener for us. Four people, limits of ducks and 2 geese by 8:00 AM :thumbsup:

Those are The smallest Canada's I have ever seen! Nice thing of ducks :thumbsup:
Shooting a spike is like getting it on with your step sister, you are glad you put some meat away but you don't brag it up to your friends.
kcidkcus
hunter

Postby bluebiller » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:43 pm

Not as good as I'd hoped .............. hunted on Fir Island in Skagit and didn't get my first shots until 3 hours and 6 minutes after the 6:50am western Washington start! My strategy sure didn't play out. First time that's ever happened to me on an opener. Downed a single drake greenhead in that process on an overhead pass shot of about 40 yards at 9:56am. 1 nice duck dinner.
Saw lots of ducks and geese. Heard lots of shooting.
Great to be back at it once again. Hope all you others had a better day than me!

Monday (tomorrow) going out once again. I was considering a QH site, but probably holding off until I can scout it out first of all in day time light.
bluebiller

"decoyless, pass, jump, and sneak hunting ..... falling to earth and getting your face dirty"
bluebiller
hunter

Postby skagitduckwacker » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:10 pm

bluebiller wrote:Not as good as I'd hoped .............. hunted on Fir Island in Skagit and didn't get my first shots until 3 hours and 6 minutes after the 6:50am western Washington start! My strategy sure didn't play out. First time that's ever happened to me on an opener. Downed a single drake greenhead in that process on an overhead pass shot of about 40 yards at 9:56am. 1 nice duck dinner.
Saw lots of ducks and geese. Heard lots of shooting.
Great to be back at it once again. Hope all you others had a better day than me!

Monday (tomorrow) going out once again. I was considering a QH site, but probably holding off until I can scout it out first of all in day time light.

The QH sites are mostly dry. Even with all the September rain they don't have water. I hit Sammish this afternoon. One of the byproducts of the Seachickens playing well is that I got there at 1pm and had all 400 acres to myself. It might be pretty open tomorrow (Monday).
Duck dogs go to heaven too.
skagitduckwacker
hunter

Postby Knighttime25 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:20 pm

kcidkcus wrote:
Knighttime25 wrote:Another good opener for us. Four people, limits of ducks and 2 geese by 8:00 AM :thumbsup:

Those are The smallest Canada's I have ever seen! Nice thing of ducks :thumbsup:

Cacklers! :thumbsup:
Wack em' and Stack em' boys
Knighttime25
hunter

Postby Zochbirds » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:56 pm

Our opener wasn't to bad with a total of 16, no mallards unfortunately :( Not a bad way to start off the season though!

Btw when coming back to the boat launch saw a guy with a cormorant on his tailgate and talked to a guy today that said he shot 3 bluebills yesterday. Read the regs people....
Attachments
imagejpeg_2.jpg
If that doesn't get your blood boiling... nothing will.
2013-2014
Pintails-3
spoonbills-1
wigeon-10
teal-2
total:16
Zochbirds
hunter

Postby bknilvr00 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:02 am

Hunted Saturday with Cougar125 and his wife, but we were part of a larger group. Shot absolutely terrible, connected solid on one bird though. At the exact same time as Cougar lol. That bird was more than a little dead. Was my dogs first hunt too. Had to walk him out to the decoys to see the birds but once he saw them it was game on. He retrieved all the birds that were shot. The only time I didn't have to point him in the right direction was when he broke as soon as he saw the bird hit. We will be working on that as time goes on but for right now I couldn't be happier. Unfortunately for my dog Murphy, his vest chafed his armpits raw. Wife woke me up from a nap because the dog was acting off. He sprained his tail as well so he was guarding his hind end as well as walking all hunched up due to his pits. Which were all slimy and enflamed. So we took him to the e vet in case something major was happening and the vet is saying he is allergic to neoprene, but I dunno if I buy into that yet. They cleaned him up, gave us some medication to help with the swelling and all that. He's already on the mend, and about had a stroke yesterday when I was loading up the boat and getting ready to leave without him. Which I should have stayed home because once I got to my spot the sun came out and it was like 60 degrees with no birds flying. And I broke my blind. So I have to come up with something better.

Sent from my space modulator.
bknilvr00
hunter

Postby CocoDuck » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:52 am

BK have you trimmed the vest around the shoulders. My mutt got the same thing on her first time out with the vest. Trimmed the vest to fit her better and haven't had an issue since. I had an ok opener between three only took home two but the dog ran good after having a season off last year and this only being the second year in the field for her. Now if only I was shooting better. Seen lots had a few drop in and missed a few that should of been easy shots. All said and done a good day, the dog was excited and got a new hunter introduced to the bug.
DU
North American Hunter
NWTF
CocoDuck
hunter

Postby Snowgoose1 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:41 am

23 Snowgeese all juvies and 13 ducks we didn't expect to land in the Snowgoose decoys. Fun morning lots of missed shots shame on us.
Snowgoose1
hunter

Postby COYOTE JLR » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:47 am

Had a good opening day on Saturday, but Sunday was pretty rough. Unbelievably nice weather, which sucked. lol. Saw almost nothing but pintails though. My partner and I each had our limit of pins in no time both days, but took hours to pick out a few teal and wigeon. Never thought I'd be mad about seeing sprigs, but there were literally thousands of them and all as ugly as sin. Only saw 5 mallards on our side of the bay over two days. Can't wait to get out again this weekend.
COYOTE JLR
hunter

Postby cougfan316 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:35 am

Would have been better if the cougs hadn't imploded. Haven't bought a license yet. No boat and with the refuges being closed I'm in no hurry. Doubt I will hunt this year. Hopefully I'll be starting the police academy in January. That'll burn up any chances for hunting.
cougfan316
hunter

Postby duckdogger07 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:33 am

Sunday was pretty decent me and a buddy nocked down 4 pins 3 green heads 7 teal and 4 greater canadians
Attachments
IMG_38312157571003.jpeg
May your birds fly low and your aim be true!

Waiting for October....
duckdogger07
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting