Holy disappointed....suggestion to improve

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, h2ofowlr, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck

Holy disappointed....suggestion to improve

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:42 pm

I am sure it's too hard to diagnose over the Internet but I am trolling for suggestions. I fill in as many details as possible.

Far East WA. River overflow pothole. Scouted several days. Most was 70+ Green. No trash. Always birds. No competition what so ever. Off the beaten path type of spot.

My crew and I are novice. But we've taken great steps to advance since last season. We are 30 and 40 something's.

We invest in good gear.

We set up on this pothole. Worked birds every set. Not much flying. Same batch of 30 birds I am guessing. We tried calling. We tried without calling. We tried jerk string. We tried without.

We put over an hour into vegging 3 layout blinds on the hole. You would have literally tripped over us. Honestly. We didnt fidget at all. No Pie Facing. We were painted to boot.

But the birds flaired every time. Heart breaking. We pulled in geese into our spread. We dumped a few birds in the early fog or literal last minute of light.

But they didnt like something. Again, the hunters, could not have been any more camo'd and hidden.

We ran 1 doz mallard dekes. Jerk cord of 4. 4 Buffles for color and 3 geese floaters for confidence.

40 yard diameter circle.
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Re: Holy disappointed....suggestion to improve

Postby Cougar125 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:49 pm

Try different things until you find what works. Try replacing buffleheads with Pintails. Put geese on the far end of the pond. Lots of different things you could try.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:55 pm

Wind was non existent. Fog early.

My only conclusion is we had one good opportunity on the first morning/volley then tried to pull in the same 26 birds for the next two days.

We left our lay outs stashed and vegged for a lunch break. Returned to 15+ Greenies right in front of them. But we'd pulled our dekes. Maybe that's my answer right there???
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:20 pm

We use Buffles as we get a metric Schit Ton of them and my 13 yr old was with me and he needs some really dumb ducks to have success. I thought he may be fidgeting and flaring birds. But he slept most of the time anyhow.

We will change things up. We got a few Canada's out of it As Is. Those 3 floaters and a little music were enough to pull a few solos traveling up and down the river. But I will put them somewhere else next set.

We cruised the river and backwaters till we were dragging prop skag. No birds anywhere else other then the hole we were set up on.

The jerk string being visible running up to the layout blind is making me concerned.

Overall, the disappointment is pretty high. Mostly as a comparison to every other Trophy shot with a pile of birds and schitty boat blinds, or much less effort invested. Guys standing in their spread draining birds vs us completely Ghilled out and the best scouting having minimal success.

Hell, I've watched every episode of RNTV and Jimbo's phatazz is just standing there Smokin and Joking with a shiny face and a black gun. All their straps are loaded by 9am. ***?
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:45 pm

Remember this. Not every hunt is going to be limits. You're never guaranteed the birds will be there. I've hunted holes and limited out by 8. Try the same hole on a different day and get skunked. Mix it up and find what works.

Sent from my flux capacitor.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby cougfan316 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:50 pm

The jerk string floating could be an issue. I'm sure someone will argue me saying this, but it doesn't seem to take very long to educate birds. You'd also said the birds were there when the decoys had been pulled. Were your decoys where the ducks were? Could also look at trying more or less decoys. I've got a jerk setup that you can attach 4 to. Try just running one decoy. I'm going to go back to my old style string next time I hunt, might not be this year though. I seemed to do better with it. Resembled more of a shaker style movement than the back and forth that rig em right has.
cougfan316
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:56 pm

Maybe they saw something behind you or the decoys had a bad shine. If they are flaring, something isn't right. Time to change it up. Move decoys move blinds, watch where the ducks first want to go and set up their.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:18 pm

Don't read it as me being a dik by responding. I wanted the help.

Jerk string is Rig em Right. I ran two full bodies, two feeders. Thought that was the most realistic. We hunted in the shadow of a mountain. No sun on set up til 9:40. The Morning Show was long over by then

No use moving, as we were COMPLETELY on the X, as we had birds almost inside the footboxes of our layouts during the break when we left. We removed our decoys during the run to town, so we wouldn't get cleaned out by Ferals. Returned to birds all feeding in front of the blinds.

There are sooo many decoys out there. We were not running Hot Buys. A dozen, nice, new swivel heads. Texas rigged. Water was murky. Not deke lines visible. No weights visible.

As I said, I tried completely not calling. And I also threw everything I could at them. Not much difference. We'd get a few looks then they'd pick the far corner which was vacant.

They did not like something in our set up for sure. But I can't tell what. The jerk string on the water surface exposed for maybe 5ft maybe a problem. But I tried to add action when the birds were way out then leave it settle for the final approach. Not real difference.

Other than a set of flocked heads, what else could be improved??
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:21 pm

Sorry for the typos. iPhone
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby cougfan316 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:53 pm

I didn't think you'd be having issues seeing as you were looking for advice. I was more or less meaning the type of guy who responds back with blah blah blah its opening weekend dumb birds. Hard to pin point what it is. As odd as it sounds you could try no decoys all together. Thats worked for me being on the x before. Geese its entirely different than ducks though.
cougfan316
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:57 pm

Sounds like your over thinking it. Lots of variables to choose from, decoys could have been to close to shore, good location yesterday bad today. A set up they didn't like. Many options to choose from.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:07 pm

If its a small chunk of water that they've been using every day, and if you can shoot across it I wouldn't use more than 4-5 dekes, especially if its calm.

The more dekes, the more that's different than the last time they were there and the more stuff stirring still that should be moving.

If I know they'll be back and there isn't much traffic to work I wouldn't put out a thing.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby kcidkcus » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:11 pm

What was the date of the hunt? You said you are I'm ne Washington? What general area? Could also be just heavy pressured birds from the weekend, I have seen birds that have been so pressured they flare from live ducks. Sometimes there's not much you can do! What's the shoreline like? Sometimes if your wind is screwy it will cause birds to say f this ill just go over there. I have also seen "pairs" of ducks just wanna hangout by themselves and land 50 yards away from the group. Just like you don't wanna go into Walmart when everyone is gonna be there.
Shooting a spike is like getting it on with your step sister, you are glad you put some meat away but you don't brag it up to your friends.
kcidkcus
hunter

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:46 pm

300 by 200 yards. Part shin deep bear grass. Chin deep or better in center. Kinda U shaped. Hunting a long corner of the U. Was farther across than expected. Knocked down a drake and guessed he was hammered so we left him lay as more birds were working. Digging him out 20 min later revealed it was well over 60-70 yards to beargrass edge.

To the other guy, I know you're trying to help. But I said No wind. Does it make any difference in what exact portion of NE WA? It's not Potholes. And we are a good ways from Spokane....and the season has only been open 3 days. Also said no pressure.

Sorry
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby kcidkcus » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:21 pm

Jesse Jaymes wrote:300 by 200 yards. Part shin deep bear grass. Chin deep or better in center. Kinda U shaped. Hunting a long corner of the U. Was farther across than expected. Knocked down a drake and guessed he was hammered so we left him lay as more birds were working. Digging him out 20 min later revealed it was well over 60-70 yards to beargrass edge.

To the other guy, I know you're trying to help. But I said No wind. Does it make any difference in what exact portion of NE WA? It's not Potholes. And we are a good ways from Spokane....and the season has only been open 3 days. Also said no pressure.

Sorry

You have to remember ducks can fly miles in a matter of minutes and that's air travel. So "no pressure" may not be as true as you think. Also it has been Dipping below freezing in ne wa, lots of birds have been migrating down from north of us, canada and Alaska have been shooting at them for months now (where almost all the birds are from that pass through ne Washington). I was curious Where you are located cause I'm in colville and have a field that is loaded and has way more ducks then one guy alone can shoot and was looking to get a group of guys on them before they all leave. Did you guys hunt on the weekend or during the week.This can make a difference as well as the "no pressure" and amount of guys within a 10 mile radius hunting of you. There is times when I have witnessed ducks going from cove to cove over to a lake and back with guys shooting and missing. Pass shooting pressures birds as well. While your pond may not be pressured more then likely some of the ducks have been. All it takes is one or two birds to flare and the rest generally fallow.
Last edited by kcidkcus on Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shooting a spike is like getting it on with your step sister, you are glad you put some meat away but you don't brag it up to your friends.
kcidkcus
hunter

Postby Meatss » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:29 pm

How many guys you have in your "Crew" hiding in your perfectly "Veggied" layouts.

If the birds are flaring, you are doing something wrong. They see you, hear you, shiny decoys, unnatural looking spread.
I would offer help but so far you have argued or been a smart ass to all that have tried to help.

Good luck to you and your "Crew" :thumbsup:

Lord forgive me for I shoot hens.
Meatss
hunter

Postby kcidkcus » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:33 pm

Also you said "no wind"... Where you are might be no wind. But 30 yards up it may be blowing 15 knots and you may not even notice especially if you were in the shadow of a mountain.
kcidkcus
hunter

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:34 pm

Was a smart ass to one guy only
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby kcidkcus » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:44 pm

What part of NE Washington? What's the big secret of where you are located? I have a field loaded with puddlers and need a group of guys to hammer them before they leave. Thinking maybe we could have a DHC shoot.
kcidkcus
hunter

Postby kcidkcus » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:45 pm

I'll send ya a pm
kcidkcus
hunter

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:51 pm

Got it. Reply
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby duckdogger07 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:52 pm

kcidkcus wrote:What part of NE Washington? What's the big secret of where you are located? I have a field loaded with puddlers and need a group of guys to hammer them before they leave. Thinking maybe we could have a DHC shoot.

Im in
May your birds fly low and your aim be true!

Waiting for October....
duckdogger07
hunter

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:17 pm

A member of my 3 man "Crew" read my posts and said it was easy to misinterpret. I was intentionally cheeky with one poster. Otherwise I was simply trying to answer the suggestions My apologies
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby B_Squared » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:11 pm

beretta24 wrote:If its a small chunk of water that they've been using every day, and if you can shoot across it I wouldn't use more than 4-5 dekes, especially if its calm.

The more dekes, the more that's different than the last time they were there and the more stuff stirring still that should be moving.

If I know they'll be back and there isn't much traffic to work I wouldn't put out a thing.

We're just making educated guesses but my bet is on beretta24's. Too many dekes for the size of water. Sometimes more isn't better.
B_Squared
hunter

Postby crazyquacked » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:15 am

I hunted a hole like that last year. Fits the description EXACTLY. One good hunt out of 4. Havent been back this year. Maybe later.....
crazyquacked
hunter

Next

Return to Washington Duck Hunting