Holy disappointed....suggestion to improve

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, h2ofowlr, brokerbyduck

Re: Holy disappointed....suggestion to improve

Postby COYOTE JLR » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:36 am

B_Squared wrote:
beretta24 wrote:If its a small chunk of water that they've been using every day, and if you can shoot across it I wouldn't use more than 4-5 dekes, especially if its calm.

The more dekes, the more that's different than the last time they were there and the more stuff stirring still that should be moving.

If I know they'll be back and there isn't much traffic to work I wouldn't put out a thing.

We're just making educated guesses but my bet is on beretta24's. Too many dekes for the size of water. Sometimes more isn't better.

I'm far from an experienced duck hunter, but I've mostly hunted smaller ponds and I've found that I've had the best luck when not using a ton of decoys. If I were you, I'd try throwing out 6-12 decoys and seeing where that gets you. Try not to crowd your space too much.
COYOTE JLR
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:50 am

Use more hens than drakes. Only use 5 or 6 decoys in a small pond.

If the birds were flaring and you were not moon facing, someone else was! The fact that birds were there when you came back tells me that you most likely have a mooner or a wiggler in your group. Time to work that angle and see if it can be fixed.

Either that or someone was moving in the blind to reach a gun, rolling their camoed face to watch the birds, etc... I can't count the number of times I though everyone was on track only to have birds flare. The next set that works I watch the hunters instead of the birds and sure enough one jack wagon or another is not holding still and keeping his head down. Boom flared birds. I finally kicked one kid out of the hunting group. The youngster just couldn't keep his head down in the boat until it was time to shoot. I finally chewed him out good and told him to hold still or he was gone. He still couldn't do it.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Zirkels » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:32 pm

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but you said you were using mallard decoys. Not sure if you were using both hens and drakes, but this time of year there are very few drakes that have a green glistening head. I usually set the vast majority of my spread as hens until I start noticing green heads.
Zirkels
hunter

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:38 pm

A full dozen mixed 50%. 4 extra 2/2. I have seen drakes in there dark green. But as you said, we took a hen and two drakes and the drakes were very drab with just a touch of green burning thru.

We're closed for a few days. More scouting. Launches finally open. Sucks, as it will reopen over a weekend. I would have used vacation days today and tomorrow to seek out Virgin spots that have t been touched yet due to Shut Down.
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:39 pm

Also gonna hunt solo next time. Have no fingers to point but at myself. Maybe I did have a wiggler in my group?
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:11 pm

Or a hand flapper as they were calling. Camo faces bright hands! Guys squirming as they are getting there guns ready.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby kcidkcus » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:18 pm

h2ofowlr wrote:Or a hand flapper as they were calling. Camo faces bright hands! Guys squirming as they are getting there guns ready.

I always paint both hands and face, guy didn't believe me untill we did a hunt once without once with made a HUGE difference and I had to prove a point.
Shooting a spike is like getting it on with your step sister, you are glad you put some meat away but you don't brag it up to your friends.
kcidkcus
hunter

Postby Professor Chaos » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:07 pm

Why did you put out bufflehead decoys?
Believe Everything You Read On The Internet
Professor Chaos
hunter

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:21 am

He asked. Am I allowed to point it out?
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby duckdogger07 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:03 am

Professor Chaos wrote:Why did you put out bufflehead decoys?

People put buffies out as confidence decoys. However i have not had it improve my hunt by doing so. Some people swear by confidence deeks i have had them hurt more than help though.
May your birds fly low and your aim be true!

Waiting for October....
duckdogger07
hunter

Postby Meatss » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:49 pm

Jesse Jaymes wrote:He asked. Am I allowed to point it out?

Please do.

Lord forgive me for I shoot hens.
Meatss
hunter

Postby Duckwise » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:26 pm

I would have completely lost the buff decoys unless you saw them on the water when you scouted, and I definitely wouldn't have drawn further attention to them by putting them on a jerk string even if there were buffs on the water, if I was targeting Mallards.
How close were your decoys, to your hide I never have any decoys right near my hide. Leave the water right in front of your hide decoy free landing zone ALWAYS
Duckwise
hunter

Postby Tealer » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:03 pm

put a single buffie on almost every hunt. Down here there is one on every pond and the decoy sticks out from a mile off.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Just Hunt » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:35 pm

This thread has got funny. A bunch of arm chairs giving advise without being there.
You know it isn't working. You have 2 choices. move or change it up. End of story
Just Hunt
hunter

Postby Duckwise » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:46 pm

Well pretty much all you can be is armchair on the interweb Mr obvious. All you Can do is just throw some Ideas out without being there cant do much fo the guy. I betcha if I was there I coulda figured it out. As for the Buff decoy my father swore by always having a decoy with some white on it usually a Bluebill. When I hunt the Big water I almost always throw out a few Black and Whites even if Im not hunting them but not on puddles
Duckwise
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:53 pm

Just Hunt wrote:This thread has got funny. A bunch of arm chairs giving advise without being there.
You know it isn't working. You have 2 choices. move or change it up. End of story

Maybe that made more sense when you were typing it? :)
What advice would you suggest? There's a lot of reasons why ducks won't finish, what's your first move if you were the op?
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby h2ofowlr » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:16 pm

This week I found 6 decoys walking through the reeds. Some were faded out almost white like. Two were mostly black and the other two had missing bills. I tied 4' long 20lb fishing line with 1 oz fishing weights and sat next to a stump. I threw the decoys in a small pool of water when the tide was out. One decoy sank, but I shot my limit while sitting next to drift wood. I limited in 1-1/2 hrs. What did I do right? I wasn't thinking I was going to get any shots, I just needed a break from walking through cat tails and muck.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby Just Hunt » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:00 am

brokerbyduck wrote:
Just Hunt wrote:This thread has got funny. A bunch of arm chairs giving advise without being there.

Maybe that made more sense when you were typing it? :)
What advice would you suggest? There's a lot of reasons why ducks won't finish, what's your first move if you were the op?

10,000 reasons why. That is why they call it hunting. I wasn't there to see his hide, decoys, I said if it isn't working. Change the set up. Or move to new spot. I don't know what anyone here can tell him without being there. He is looking for the one in 10,000 reasons.
Just Hunt
hunter

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:11 am

Do you know what GFY stands for?
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:50 am

lol Goose Hammer is back :lol3:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:04 am

My guess is they are hunting straight on. Wind at back with decoys right in front.
Try changing your angle of attack by moving you blinds off to the side.
I suspect the birds are spotting the three layouts.
Its worth a try.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Previous

Return to Washington Duck Hunting