final attack by beavertail

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, h2ofowlr, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck

final attack by beavertail

Postby duckdogger07 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:31 am

lookin for a review on these things and thought i should ask people who hunt the same state i do to get a more accurate assessment.
May your birds fly low and your aim be true!

Waiting for October....
duckdogger07
hunter

Re: final attack by beavertail

Postby brokerbyduck » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:44 pm

I have zero experience with them other than looking at them in the store. I do have a lot of experience with sneak boats, both marsh rat and aquapod.

To me that thing would have to be really damn cheap for me to take a chance on it. It's too wide to paddle well and too tall to hide well. You could put a motor on the back end but the bow of that thing might as well have submarine painted across it.

It might be ok for calm waters but I don't think it would fare well in the salt if there was any chop at all.

If you buy it, post up a review of what you think of it after you've hunted out of it a season. I'd be curious how you feel it stacks up against a marsh rat or aquapod.
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby duckdogger07 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:51 pm

Will do i have hunted out of the aquapod and out of a marsh rat. That's what i was trying to get but never found one in my price range and even though my buddies let me use their extras and swear they don't mind but i hate feeling like a mooch. So with no one posting any bad first hand experiences with them i think Im gonna go for it....

Waiting for October....
duckdogger07
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:16 pm

Can you get a test ride in it first to make sure it will fit your needs? Sneakboats are cool, but that one looks like it will be a lot of work to paddle.
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby duckdogger07 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:08 pm

I kinda doubt it i don't know the guy selling it at all and i have no time what so ever. I guess if it doesn't meet my needs it will end up on the Dhc wa clasifides

Waiting for October....
duckdogger07
hunter

Postby Just Hunt » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:48 am

I have used one this summer. I wouldn't put waders on and get in one. Nothing like the plastic rat.
Just Hunt
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:30 am

If you are going to get one either make a weed eater motor or shorten up a Minkota trolling motor and use it. That thing is going to paddle just like what it is. A box. Properly camo'd it will work. I would most definately stay away from anything that looks like rough water with it.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby duckdogger07 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:33 pm

Well i got it... So i suppose i will put some pics up of it and a review after tomorrow hunt :)

Waiting for October....
duckdogger07
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:15 pm

Let us know how it goes. Nothign wrong with that boat so long as you use with within the boats abilities safely. A tool you can afford and use is a lot better than one you can't because you can't afford it.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:43 pm

Make sure that thing has floatation foam in it and wear a life jacket when you hunt. Lots of good life jackets on the market that don't get in the way of a shotgun. Also bring an anchor!
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby Lost Fish » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:12 pm

Have one. Understand that they were desined orginally as a Layout blind in wet fields, hence the wheels on the back of it.

The thing is not to bad paddleing in the water but I use mine on the edges of the channels in the N. Skagit area so I can walk it in after I unload it out of the bigger boat.
Carrier.jpg
Carrier.jpg (37.63 KiB) Viewed 740 times

Hunt the flooded highspots with it.

It is a stable platform and has a ton of room in it for the dog and I.
layout.jpg
layout.jpg (35.75 KiB) Viewed 740 times

Would not want to be in rough water, was out testing it out and waves push up the sides and then roll off but it is a little had to get used to being so close to the water. I do put a elec trolling motor on the back of it and it gets around pretty good, but would not want to set in it all day paddleing around.

But got mine for a song and like Scaup Hunter said it is a tool that I could afford. The other ones are going to have to wait till one of you guys will it to me :lol3:
Reb
Fish, Hunt, Coffee, and Beer! What more does a guy need!!!
NW WWA Best Parking Space
Retired Marine, Now living off the Goverment (Wife's) Tit!!!
Lost Fish
hunter

Postby duckdogger07 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:42 pm

Well i failed at taking pictures of my first experience in the new layout boat. Which sucks because that means i also failed to take pictures on my wife's first duck hunt. Ok now for the review.

the final attack has alot of positive things about it. I love the wheels they make dragging the layout boat way easier than dragging a rat or an aquapod across the mud flats where i hunt i like the amount of room there is in the final attack i hunted me and my wife out of the same boat with ease. In the boat we had food water spare clothes and extra shells on a dry bag, decoys, both of our guns, 2 life jackets, and an anchor.sounds like alot but really wasn't too bad. My wife ended up shooting 2 pins and 2 teal. I shot 2 pins 1 green head and 4 teal. However the final attack is much more difficult to paddle than the aqua pod and marsh rat. If you are going to be going any major amount of distance i would recommend throwing a trolling motor on your list of needs when buying this boat. I am gonna bring my Minn kota next time i go out and see if there is any difference.

Waiting for October....
duckdogger07
hunter

Postby Just Hunt » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:18 pm

duckdogger07 wrote:Well i failed at taking pictures of my first experience in the new layout boat. Which sucks because that means i also failed to take pictures on my wife's first duck hunt. Ok now for the review.

the final attack has alot of positive things about it. I love the wheels they make dragging the layout boat way easier than dragging a rat or an aquapod across the mud flats where i hunt i like the amount of room there is in the final attack i hunted me and my wife out of the same boat with ease. In the boat we had food water spare clothes and extra shells on a dry bag, decoys, both of our guns, 2 life jackets, and an anchor.sounds like alot but really wasn't too bad. My wife ended up shooting 2 pins and 2 teal. I shot 2 pins 1 green head and 4 teal. However the final attack is much more difficult to paddle than the aqua pod and marsh rat. If you are going to be going any major amount of distance i would recommend throwing a trolling motor on your list of needs when buying this boat. I am gonna bring my Minn kota next time i go out and see if there is any difference.

Hope it is a salt water version or it will only work a few times.
Just Hunt
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:33 pm

Sounds like you had a good shoot, which is really the point right? Good for you getting the wife outdoors and shooting. Now you "need" another sneak boat which works right into your plans. :biggrin:
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Return to Washington Duck Hunting