In search of some help

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, brokerbyduck, washingtonmuley, h2ofowlr

In search of some help

Postby Quackkiller12 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:15 pm

This is my very first post, I am new to this forumand really looking for some tips, I do a lot of waterfowl hunting, I am just really looking for some much needed help on where to go I hunt a lot but its mainly places that have a bunch of people hunting whole I am haha typical but oh we'll I love getting out and watching my dog work, but I got a 14' Jon last year with a 8hp and want to do some hunting on the nisqually and skagit but just don't know if its worth the drive, I'm fixing on heading out Saturday with a few buddies who I have hunted with for quite a few years now and was wondering if anyone could help me out, I'm willing to drive just a kid wanting to kill some ducks and educate my dog a bunch more, and tips or help on a decent spot will be more than highly appreciated!!!!
Feel free to p.m me as well
Thanks a lot

Keep your faces down and shoot straight!!!
Quackkiller12
hunter

Re: In search of some help

Postby kcidkcus » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:37 pm

Quackkiller12 wrote:This is my very first post, I am new to this forumand really looking for some tips, I do a lot of waterfowl hunting, I am just really looking for some much needed help on where to go I hunt a lot but its mainly places that have a bunch of people hunting whole I am haha typical but oh we'll I love getting out and watching my dog work, but I got a 14' Jon last year with a 8hp and want to do some hunting on the nisqually and skagit but just don't know if its worth the drive, I'm fixing on heading out Saturday with a few buddies who I have hunted with for quite a few years now and was wondering if anyone could help me out, I'm willing to drive just a kid wanting to kill some ducks and educate my dog a bunch more, and tips or help on a decent spot will be more than highly appreciated!!!!
Feel free to p.m me as well
Thanks a lot

Keep your faces down and shoot straight!!!

I will be honest... Not a very good first post. No one is gonna bring a one time poster out to any of there spots. I'm not trying to sound like a d bag. Just being honest with you. Welcome to the forum! :beer:
Shooting a spike is like getting it on with your step sister, you are glad you put some meat away but you don't brag it up to your friends.
kcidkcus
hunter

Postby jgoetz » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:50 pm

A 14 foot with an 8hp motor is asking for trouble on the Skagit. Asking for a lot of trouble on the Skagit actually.

Hang around, contribute to the forum and get to know some people and guys will help you out as they get to know you. You have to be willing to do some work too though. Invite a forum member to one of your spots as you get to know somebody. Guys around here are pretty helpful but don't hand out information for free either. Maybe post up where you are from. That will help people sort of give you more pertinent advice.

Just remember, ducks don't like people. So if you live in the Seattle area and you like ducks that means you drive a bit to hunt. It's just part of the game/sport.

Get out and scout. Then scout some more. Public land will always be public land (a nightmare of other hunters). You either have to get used to it or do some serious door knocking. There are plenty of options for information available in the scouting department. You can use google earth, gazateere, the GO HUNT feature on WDFW, or the county surveyors maps. Duck hunting is not a lazy man's sport.

Also, maybe describe yourself a little. I am very confused by your post. You mention you are a "kid" but "have been hunting for quite a few years." And I am not saying it is impossible but as a "kid" I couldn't afford a 14' boat and motor. Shucks I can't afford it now and I am grown up.
Talk crap, get hit!
jgoetz
hunter

Postby Quackkiller12 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:11 pm

Haha ok sorry guys ok where to start!!! Well here it goes, I'm 19 and like in the bonney lake area have my whole life, I have been addicted to waking up at 3am since I was 10 years old setting up seeks in a pond slough or field, I also enjoy elk and deer archery hunting a lot and shot my first deer with my bow at 47 yards with my bow, well a little off topic but love tellin my hunting stories, I have a few places in Enumclaw that I have permission to hunt, one of those his two boys just passed hunters education so that kind of fell through because I understand as well as everyone family comes first, I do a lot of hunting over near mattawa and Moses lake area but it has been very hard finding the time with my little one which he just turned 1 this September and I'm so proud of him!!!!! But last year a buddie and I who have been hunting together for about 7 years now decided to but a small Jon boat, well I bought it and his uncle have us his 8hp mercury, we didn't really get out to use it last year as we bought it the end of December and we just recently received the motor, we have been doing a bit of saving and recently purchased some more decoys a pull string flappy and a few small things (jerk cord ext.) now were at about 9 dozen duck deckys some new and some old, and now also i got a male black lab 2 years ago and he has been a great dog so far doing a few retrieves, I have been hooked on hunting the bay for quite some time as my other good buddie who I have hunted with since I passed hunters Ed has a great place out in Aberdeen but now is in college so we only get together to hunt a few days out of the year, I'm willing to drive and do whatever it takes to kill ducks, opener my buddie and I were headed over to mattawa and my waders flew out of he boat so I had to do the jeans and my lace up loggers all day and boy I tell ya dragging a layout blind and 5 dozen decoys in the rain is a pain haha but anyways I apologize if I'm a bit all over the place with some stuff but I hope you get a bit better description,
Any helpful tips or help is highly considered

Thanks I really appreciate it
Quackkiller12
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:04 am

You already heard the best ones. Spend hours on Google Earth looking for good spots. Then hop on the country Assessors website for that county and see who owns it. If it is government owned you can hunt it, so long as it is open. Always call the agency and check. I hunt a lot of backwater areas no one else hunts because I put in the effort to find them. I have spots where 100 hunters are fighting for a few blinds in ok spots and get a few birds. I hammer the birds less than half a mile away with non one hunting anywhere near me. Every one of those spots is a small pocket of prime water that is open to the public. Every one of them takes a bunch of work to get into and is surrounded by private property, with only one long distance approach that is open to me. There are thousands of little pockets of public land along small our rivers and lakes that are usually overlooked by most hunters. The obvious spots get mobbed.

Duck hunting is a bunch of work. Get out and scout, find where the birds like to land, then talk to the landowners. Don't just ask to hunt. Offer up to come out and work for a weekend or two for hunting permission. Prepare to be worked like a mule when you show up. The payoff can be huge. Once you get a good reputation with one farmer he will often hook you up with other local farmers that wan't the geese and ducks run out of their fields. Also look at crops. Winter wheat farmers love to have a trustworthy hunter in their fields chasing the birds off.

A couple of buddies and I are heading north to meet some new farmers in an area we hunt geese. We pretty much already have permission to hunt through other farmers contacts. We are still going to offer up some work in the off season and will follow through. We also make a point of showing up around Christmas time with some form of a gift to say thank you. It is usually a wine, cheese, and sausage basket. A little work, and a bunch of thoughfullnes goes a very long way towards getting to hunt private property without paying for a lease.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Quackkiller12 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:29 pm

ScaupHunter thank you for the reply that is a lot of helpful information, and all of it is highly considered, now I'm gonna be on google earth all night haha but do have one question, where is the map for the country accessors website?

Thanks again!
Quackkiller12
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting