Quick question

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

Quick question

Postby kcidkcus » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:55 pm

Hey guys, have a quick question. I was curious if it's legal in washington to bring two guns along. I would like to bring my 12 and my 10 gauge along, 12 in close for ducks, and my 10 for high flying geese. I checked out the wdfw website as well as my reg book and looked hard to find an answer but couldn't find anything. Any of you guys know, or could post any links? Thanks!
Shooting a spike is like getting it on with your step sister, you are glad you put some meat away but you don't brag it up to your friends.
kcidkcus
hunter

Re: Quick question

Postby ohtajj » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:23 pm

I was just having a discussion with my father in-law about the same thing last week. I couldn't find anything in the regs saying it is illegal, but I don't know.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2
ohtajj
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:35 pm

Best thing to do is call wdfw and ask to talk to a warden that patrols your area. He's going to be the one who passes judgment on whether he would write a ticket or not .
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby kcidkcus » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:03 pm

brokerbyduck wrote:Best thing to do is call wdfw and ask to talk to a warden that patrols your area. He's going to be the one who passes judgment on whether he would write a ticket or not .

Yeah I might have to. I can't find anything. I usually deal with nps, so maybe they might be strict about something like that?! I will have to call both and find out.
Shooting a spike is like getting it on with your step sister, you are glad you put some meat away but you don't brag it up to your friends.
kcidkcus
hunter

Postby AnonymousDuck » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:52 pm

I assume that just about anything that's considered common since everyplace else is against the law in Washington, unless it specifically says otherwise in the regulations.
Nothing Runs Like a Lab...
SD/SHR, DixieBrit's Waterdog "Dream" Come True.
Member: Combat Veterans Waterfowl Association.

XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Postby kcidkcus » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:04 am

rlvallee wrote:I assume that just about anything that's considered common since everyplace else is against the law in Washington, unless it specifically says otherwise in the regulations.

Haha you ain't kidding
kcidkcus
hunter

Postby viking fan » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:50 am

i have talked to someone high up in the wdfw and it is legal to have two guns
viking fan
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:04 am

viking fan wrote:i have talked to someone high up in the wdfw and it is legal to have two guns

Yes, it's legal. Only restriction is max of 3 shells and only non-toxic shells. We bring the 10 all the time loaded with BBB or T shot and shoot # 2's through the duck gun.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby Just Hunt » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:40 am

But in a shell restricted area. That is not per gun.
Just Hunt
hunter

Postby kcidkcus » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:09 am

Just Hunt wrote:But in a shell restricted area. That is not per gun.

None of my coot spots are shell restriction areas. I will sneak up on them with my ten, loaded with a cylinder bore choke with 1 3/4 oz of 6 shot, so I can kill 15+ to a raft. And use my 12 to kill singles as they decoy into my new ghg coots
kcidkcus
hunter

Postby Hntrspud » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:37 am

I hope that you are referring to something other than waterfowl. You can see in the regs, that in all areas, you can only have a max of 3 shells in your gun.
Hntrspud
hunter

Postby formerly full choke » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:50 am

Hntrspud wrote:

I hope that you are referring to something other than waterfowl. You can see in the regs, that in all areas, you can only have a max of 3 shells in your gun.

I think he is referring to areas that only allow you 15 shells total. Or 25 shells total etc That is total number on your person, not per gun you bring. But you are correct- no single gun can have more than three shells for waterfowl.
formerly full choke
hunter

Postby Just Hunt » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:56 am

formerly full choke wrote:
Hntrspud wrote:

I think he is referring to areas that only allow you 15 shells total. Or 25 shells total etc That is total number on your person, not per gun you bring. But you are correct- no single gun can have more than three shells for waterfowl.

Correct
Just Hunt
hunter

Postby Hntrspud » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:03 am

gotcha. thanks :thumbsup:
Hntrspud
hunter

Postby skagitduckwacker » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:24 am

It isn't like fishing where you can actually have two poles attempting to take game at the same time.
Duck dogs go to heaven too.
skagitduckwacker
hunter

Postby kcidkcus » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:29 am

skagitduckwacker wrote:It isn't like fishing where you can actually have two poles attempting to take game at the same time.

Both my guns are sawed off, semi autos, with pistol grips, I'm gonna hold em both up and start spraying LOL
kcidkcus
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:29 am

So what is to keep you from unloading one, and picking up the other, thereby shooting 6 shells?? Is that not loopholing the reason for max of 3 shells in your gun?
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby kcidkcus » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:31 am

B.E.Nelli wrote:So what is to keep you from unloading one, and picking up the other, thereby shooting 6 shells?? Is that not loopholing the reason for max of 3 shells in your gun?

If someone was fast enough to do that before the birds got out of range I would love to see it
kcidkcus
hunter

Postby alindsey1237 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:32 am

I thought you could have two guns but only one could be loaded and the other had to be in a case as a back up?
Field Staff- Muddy Water Camo
Dog handler/trainer- Duck Dog Waterfowl tv
alindsey1237
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:37 am

kcidkcus wrote:
B.E.Nelli wrote:So what is to keep you from unloading one, and picking up the other, thereby shooting 6 shells?? Is that not loopholing the reason for max of 3 shells in your gun?

If someone was fast enough to do that before the birds got out of range I would love to see it

Still defeats the purpose of having a 3 shell limit. You have 6 shells ready to go rather than 3. I tend to agree with the above. You can only have one of those 2 guns loaded at a time.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby kcidkcus » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:40 pm

B.E.Nelli wrote:
kcidkcus wrote:

Still defeats the purpose of having a 3 shell limit. You have 6 shells ready to go rather than 3. I tend to agree with the above. You can only have one of those 2 guns loaded at a time.

Im gonna call wdfw and find out for sure about the laws about 2 guns.
kcidkcus
hunter

Postby Meatss » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:27 pm

The law reads 3 shells per gun, it does NOT list the number of guns you are limited to have.
If you want to load 3 guns with three shells and line em up in the blind they cant say a thing about it.

Lord forgive me for I shoot hens.
Meatss
hunter

Postby Just Hunt » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:01 pm

kcidkcus Your sig line is funny. But so true
Just Hunt
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:34 pm

Meatss wrote:The law reads 3 shells per gun, it does NOT list the number of guns you are limited to have.
If you want to load 3 guns with three shells and line em up in the blind they cant say a thing about it.

Correct!

Both guns can be loaded. 3 shell restriction is from the days of commercial hunting. It does not defeat the 3 shell restriction as guys could speed load his shot gun. Your still dropping a gun and shouldering the other and most wouldn't be very good at it. A floater, so you can have 4 shells in your gun defeats the 3 shell rule.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Return to Washington Duck Hunting