Newbie Western washington

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

Newbie Western washington

Postby Jspeers1130 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:04 am

Hey guys,
I am a new member on here and thought I would throw out a post and get to know some people.A little about myself, I am currently 23 years old and I am in the navy stationed on whidbey Island for about 4 years now. I grew up in upstate new york hunting everything from waterfowl to whitetail and everything else inbetween. I have not hunted in roughly 5 or so years due to joining the navy and having always depended on my father for the know how and hunting locations, so I geuss you could say I am somewhat a newbie to the sport of waterfowling as I generally only tagged along and didnt learn a whole lot but sure did harvest many great animals. I am just now having the craving to finally get back to hunting and get set up but I lack the know how and the locations as well as the friends to go out hunting. I have been doing lots of research on hunting seasons and regulations and now its just time to get out there and get started. I have very limited gear only owning a gun some waders and jacket as I slowly add to my collection of hunting equipment. I am hoping to become an active member on here and hopefully can learn and make some new friends and be able to get out hunting.Thanks for reading guys and any tips or know how is greatly appreciated.
Jake
Jspeers1130
Newb

Re: Newbie Western washington

Postby kcidkcus » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:19 am

What area of upstate ny are you from?
Shooting a spike is like getting it on with your step sister, you are glad you put some meat away but you don't brag it up to your friends.
kcidkcus
hunter

Postby Just Hunt » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:37 am

I think Cougar 125 is from whidbey
Just Hunt
hunter

Postby kcidkcus » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:00 am

Just Hunt wrote:I think Cougar 125 is from whidbey

Theres No birds on whidbey. If you wanna kill limits nisqually is the place to be.
Shooting a spike is like getting it on with your step sister, you are glad you put some meat away but you don't brag it up to your friends.
kcidkcus
hunter

Postby Jspeers1130 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:47 am

kcidkcus wrote:What area of upstate ny are you from?

I am from central square which is north of syracuse.
Jspeers1130
Newb

Postby kcidkcus » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:29 pm

Jspeers1130 wrote:
kcidkcus wrote:What area of upstate ny are you from?

I am from central square which is north of syracuse.

Gotcha I used to hunt the crap out of cobleskill and the upper Hudson valley. I might actually go back and take over the family farm outside of cobleskill. Can you say "flooded corn" :yes:
kcidkcus
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:32 pm

Just Hunt wrote:I think Cougar 125 is from whidbey

Not from Whidbey but am stationed there and had mild success last year.

Sent from my flux capacitor.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby ackbizzle » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:03 pm

im also stationed in whidbey and there are lots of places to go around here. they even have blinds all set up on the seaplane base you can use.
ackbizzle
Newb

Postby duckdogger07 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:09 pm

I went up ti whidbey a week ago to scout with a buddy and never seen so many green heads. Lots of birds up the just need the windshield time. Remember to stretch your legs.
May your birds fly low and your aim be true!

Waiting for October....
duckdogger07
hunter

Postby Jspeers1130 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:21 am

Thanks for all the feed back guys, I have always heard of guys hunting the sea plane base but I would have to find someone to go with for that since I have no decoys or dog just yet. I know a guy who has been hunting some local fields but with no rain and nice weather there has been no luck. I am hoping to get out and do some hunting in a few weeks as work has been super busy.
Jspeers1130
Newb

Postby netminderSea » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:43 am

Welcome squid.

You should look out for the Veterans Hunt a few guys put together each year on this board. It's a great way to meet good guys that are into the same things as you.

Speaking of.... I've not seen anything on the hunt this year? Terrell?

BTW - I'm ex Navy and happy to pick you up for a hunt anytime. Ducks until Thanksgiving then late archery for whitetail.

Net.

AD2 (AW)
netminderSea
hunter

Postby japrxfan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:41 pm

If you want to get together one of these days on the island just send me a message about times your available. I try to get out as much as I can Friday-sunday. It will only get better. I'm looking forward to after Halloween. I'm with the Q. Send me a PM
why is it every time i go into the woods i feel the need to cut down a tree?
japrxfan
hunter

Postby jgoetz » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:19 pm

netminderSea wrote:
Speaking of.... I've not seen anything on the hunt this year? Terrell?

AD2 (AW)

Terrel hasn't been on since April. I don't know what happened. Hopefully something pulls through on the Veteran's Hunt front for you all.
Talk crap, get hit!
jgoetz
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:44 pm

I talked to Shane Moon the other day because while I was deployed I got a hunt set up for the guys I was in Afghanistan with. He is already hosting 2 groups this year, 1 group of vets, and my group of guys just home. Not sure who/what the other group is, but I do know everybody going is military related. With my deployment cycle (supposed to leave next October-ish), I won't be able to play any kind of front man, but that doesn't mean somebody else couldn't.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby Jspeers1130 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:30 pm

With my schedule I will also be deployed through next season so I am really shooting to get some good hunts in this season. The weather is looking up with a nice start to November this weekend!
Jspeers1130
Newb

Return to Washington Duck Hunting