"Outboard" Motor Choice for Salt Marsh

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, h2ofowlr, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck

"Outboard" Motor Choice for Salt Marsh

Postby SnowDog » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:19 pm

This has been discussed before about brands, but I'd like to get opinions simply on type. I need to start planning for next year when I will need a larger boat, 14' Jon boat range. I hunt the salt marsh areas such as Skagit, Nisqually, and Willapa.

What would be the best motor option. Small longtail, surface drive, jet, or regular outboard. I have experience with the longtail and really like it, but wondering about the surface drive and jet options...

:beer:
SD
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Dogs have all the qualities God said man should have but don't:
Faithfulness, Steadfastness, Dependability, Loyalty, Forgiveness, Devotion, Hope, and Love!"
SnowDog
hunter

Re: "Outboard" Motor Choice for Salt Marsh

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:20 pm

Get at least a 16 foot boat that is wide. Saltwater and big water are no place to be playing around with lots of gear and weight in big waves or hard tides. Stay away from the jet unless you also plan to fish the boat in shallow rivers. Sea Grass and debris can plug a pump up real quick.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Berex » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:54 am

Jets do get plugged but are pretty easily unplugged I can get a lot of places props can't if you do decide jet I would go with a welded boat because in order for a jet to be effective you have to stay on step which means sometimes you hit stuff but they sure are fun. Also go big on power cause you lose 30% and go two stroke
Berex
hunter

Postby bknilvr00 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:35 am

I've got a 1652 mod v jon boat with a 30 hp 4 cylinder merc prop. For the shallows its absolutely fantastic. But when the storms roll in or I'm hunting the bay, it can get unpleasent. I love the power of the prop. A jet would be nice for running through the really shallow spots, but if my prop drags, I can wade the water. It's not too much effort to drag my boat. My next boat will be an 18 footer, with higher sides and a jet drive. My biggest concern is weight, weight slows you down, weight makes you draft deeper, and getting a boat unstuck by yourself if a royal pain.

Sent from my space modulator.
bknilvr00
hunter

Postby mrwabobcat » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:55 am

I use a mud buddy 35hp pro drive. Works like a 4x4 in the mud and heavy lilly pads .
mrwabobcat
hunter

Postby SnowDog » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:30 pm

mrwabobcat wrote:I use a mud buddy 35hp pro drive. Works like a 4x4 in the mud and heavy lilly pads .

How big is your boat?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Dogs have all the qualities God said man should have but don't:
Faithfulness, Steadfastness, Dependability, Loyalty, Forgiveness, Devotion, Hope, and Love!"
SnowDog
hunter

Postby somethinsmellsfishy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:21 pm

I have a 1640 lowe with mod V and a 40 horse with a pump on it. Sure the grass can be a problem but clears out quickly and I don't have to worry unless its less than 4 in. while onstep. I have a 4 hrse kicker that I run in the weeds and it really cuts down on me cleaning out the grill. I have the battery and gas tank forward which helps get this out of the hole pretty quick for a small power unit.

This unit will be up for sale before next season as I am going to step up.

Fishy
somethinsmellsfishy
hunter

Postby mrwabobcat » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:39 pm

I have a 18 ft beavertail with the 35 hp mud buddy
mrwabobcat
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:05 pm

I sold my jet as it always was getting clogged in the bay and it flat sucked the gas. The salt is rough on the impeller and housing. I thought about mounting a surface drive unit next to my big motor to use in the shallows. Might be a good option.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby brokerbyduck » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:58 pm

I really struggled with whether to get a prop or a jet for my boat. I ended up getting a 90hp prop for it and so far things have worked out well. I've beat up one prop pretty good on a gravel bar but I think it's overall less hassle than the jet. Lots of vegetation in the water here and those jet guys always sound like they are burning a ton of fuel.

There are times I wish I had gone for the jet, but it's not very often.
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Return to Washington Duck Hunting