Salts Vs. Fresh

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, h2ofowlr, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck

Salts Vs. Fresh

Postby CrackerJackShot » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:53 pm

Hey guys, just wanted to pick some brains around here. I have never hunted salts and tides. Washington holds the first real opportunity I have ever had to do so. It seems to me that most people around here are really big into the salt water and I can see why. Made it out to a couple spots and are definitely seeing 50 bird flocks of widgeon flying around at 1 in the afternoon. I have also however, found several fresh water ponds (anywhere from 10-30 acres with lots of vegetation) a bit off of the beaten path. That is where I have hunted so far this year. After all of the work I've put in scouting it seems like nothing is showing up on the ponds at all. Is that how it works in Washington? Or is it just early? I feel like the further into the season, the more birds, the more crappy weather that will help push them off of the bigger water onto ponds. Am I right? Am I wrong? I just wanted to hear some opinions. (I have few duck educated people to debate with where I live :()
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Re: Salts Vs. Fresh

Postby T-Bone » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:24 am

Do a search on tidal hunting; I think the majority of your questions will be answered.
T-Bone
hunter

Re: Salts Vs. Fresh

Postby aaronoto » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:09 am

In general weather will kick them off the big water. I hunt a spot that's on the opposite side of a saltwater dike; it's not a good shoot if there isn't some weather. On a bluebird day you can walk the dike and see thousands of birds sitting on the bay. Lots of good posts on the topic though.
aaronoto
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting