Columbia River

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, h2ofowlr, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck

Columbia River

Postby BM0711 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:27 pm

Here is a question for you river hunting guys. Living in Okanogan County the opportunity for ducks pretty much ends with the deep freeze. I grew up hunting but just started duck hunting 2 years ago, I now own a 1 yr old chocolate lab who is on her first season too many calls, decoys etc to ever use at once and am looking for some advice. Most of my hunting is either jump shooting small ponds and lakes or decoying down in Moses Lake. I want to start hunting the Columbia later in the season and possibly sooner. I don't have a boat but have purchased long lines and a few diver dekes. How to you all go about setting up decoys? I was thinking two or three lines of 4-8 diver decoys parallel to the shore and then set some geese and mallard decoys off to one side. Is this similar to what others do? Just looking for some input and experience others have had trying to target divers and puddles. Thanks in advance

BM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BM0711
hunter

Re: Columbia River

Postby BM0711 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:05 pm

Haha I will agree that Moses hole has some good days. Friday sat for 6 hours in Moses and didn't even fire a shot. Rough.... Did get a few in Wenatchee Saturday though on the river, they were all mallards, didn't even see a diver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BM0711
hunter

Re: Columbia River

Postby bc64 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:26 pm

On the part of the river I hunt it seems like where you set up is more important than the what and how.
bc64
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting