Duck hunting boats

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, h2ofowlr, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck

Duck hunting boats

Postby Cantshootwell » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:15 pm

So, Muley talked me in to a bankes/TDB style boat for hunting the big salt pond. That being said, has anyone had any experience with Duck Boss boats? They sell a 15ft duck boat that looks link a bankes/TDB but costs half the price.
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Cantshootwell
hunter

Re: Duck hunting boats

Postby Lost Fish » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:19 pm

I hear that they only work on the trailer and don't float. That is how they kept the costs down!!!!

Sorry being a turd tonight!
Reb
Fish, Hunt, Coffee, and Beer! What more does a guy need!!!
NW WWA Best Parking Space
Retired Marine, Now living off the Goverment (Wife's) Tit!!!
Lost Fish
hunter

Postby Tealer » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:12 pm

Cantshootwell wrote:So, Muley talked me in to a bankes/TDB style boat for hunting the big salt pond. That being said, has anyone had any experience with Duck Boss boats? They sell a 15ft duck boat that looks link a bankes/TDB but costs half the price.

What's half the cost of a TDB?
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Cantshootwell » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:18 pm

http://www.duckbossboats.com/db_15.php

Blind, motor, and trailer for 12,500.
Cantshootwell
hunter

Postby bknilvr00 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:23 pm

Cantshootwell wrote:http://www.duckbossboats.com/db_15.php

A loaded jon boat for the same price is capable of eveything that can do. I would be hesitant to take it on the big water with much wind.
bknilvr00
hunter

Postby Cantshootwell » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:43 pm

bknilvr00 wrote:

A loaded jon boat for the same price is capable of eveything that can do. I would be hesitant to take it on the big water with much wind.

I didn't notice how deep the draft was until you said this. Good call sir.
Cantshootwell
hunter

Postby Tealer » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:58 pm

bknilvr00 wrote:

No. Having run a similar fiberglass boats and Jon's I can promise you that design foot for foot is safer then a Jon. I have seen WAMuleys 17 handle water that drenches me in the 25' we run.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby bknilvr00 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:21 pm

Tealer wrote:
bknilvr00 wrote:

No. Having run a similar fiberglass boats and Jon's I can promise you that design foot for foot is safer then a Jon. I have seen WAMuleys 17 handle water that drenches me in the 25' we run.

Well then I will retract my previous statement. Just goes to show what I get for thinking...
bknilvr00
hunter

Postby Tealer » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:48 pm

bknilvr00 wrote:
Tealer wrote:
bknilvr00 wrote:

Well then I will retract my previous statement. Just goes to show what I get for thinking...

I love my Jon, but it's a bad open water boat. Those duck boats are literally designed with that in mind.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby bknilvr00 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:23 pm

Tealer wrote:
bknilvr00 wrote:
Tealer wrote:
bknilvr00 wrote:

I love my Jon, but it's a bad open water boat. Those duck boats are literally designed with that in mind.

So this might seem silly, but could you run a tdb/bankes with a jet drive? They are v hulls that transition to a flat bottom if I understand correctly. So if I ran in skinny water, not like 3 inches but a foot or so, can the boat work do it?

Sent from my space modulator
bknilvr00
hunter

Postby Tealer » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:44 pm

I have seen pics with them rigged that way but I have never personally run one. So I'm not sure, I am pretty familiar with the hills and in theory it should work.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby h2ofowlr » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:35 pm

I don't believe the hull design on either boat would provide an optimum set up for a jet. You would have to add custom modifications. Why not use a surface drive or a tiller?
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby bknilvr00 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:36 am

h2ofowlr wrote:I don't believe the hull design on either boat would provide an optimum set up for a jet. You would have to add custom modifications. Why not use a surface drive or a tiller?

I was just wondering if it would work or not. Not really an option for me since I'm just kinda window shopping at the moment. But I think I have decided on what I'm gna get. I'll probably go with an 18 ft sled, jet drive. I wanna chase the coho's and pinks up the river when the time comes and a fiberglass boat with a prop is hardly ideal. Ive been keeping an eye on Craigslist just watching for boats. Is really like to have a river wild sled built. But if I can get a screaming deal on a used sled when the time comes ill jump on it.

Sent from my space modulator.
bknilvr00
hunter

Postby AnonymousDuck » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:08 pm

I went and looked at that boat you where talking about, and I'll be the first to admit I'm no expert on boats since I'm still learning. But, if I had the cash to get the boat I wanted it would be one from Toller Boat Works. You might take a look.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format ... 7507735108
Nothing Runs Like a Lab...
SD/SHR, DixieBrit's Waterdog "Dream" Come True.
Member: Combat Veterans Waterfowl Association.

XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Postby TonyH » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:58 pm

Cantshootwell wrote:So, Muley talked me in to a bankes/TDB style boat for hunting the big salt pond. That being said, has anyone had any experience with Duck Boss boats? They sell a 15ft duck boat that looks link a bankes/TDB but costs half the price.

Half the price?

are you aware that the Duck Boss 15 is basically a copy of the TDB 14 classic with a wider transom and longer stern so they could rate it for a 25hp? While this design is okay its not exactly built for big waves or bigger water.

Now a TDB 14SC that's a different story. But comparing a Duck Boss 15 to a TDB 14SC is completely different boats all together.

I know this because I own TDB and I know where Duck Boss got there 15 design from and what they done to it and why.

You would have to compare there 17 model to the TDB 17 model. No comparing the duck boss to either the 14 classic which will be a marsh boat basically and the 14SC which is actually closer to 15ft when you put a tape on it and measure it. Totally different hulls designed for different situations.

And as for price, Im pretty sure if you think 12.500 for a 15 Duck Boss boat blind and trailer is a good deal your gonna want to see the price of the TDB 14SC because I think you will be quite surprised real soon. We plan to have pricing on the TDB website in just a few weeks.

As for the 14 Classic its in design mode, we have still got to make one more mold for the interior design and I assure you it will be under 10K for boat blind and trailer.
Take your children hunting, So you dont have to hunt for your children!
TonyH
hunter

Postby somethinsmellsfishy » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:02 pm

TonyH wrote:

Half the price?

are you aware that the Duck Boss 15 is basically a copy of the TDB 14 classic with a wider transom and longer stern so they could rate it for a 25hp? While this design is okay its not exactly built for big waves or bigger water.

Now a TDB 14SC that's a different story. But comparing a Duck Boss 15 to a TDB 14SC is completely different boats all together.

I know this because I own TDB and I know where Duck Boss got there 15 design from and what they done to it and why.

You would have to compare there 17 model to the TDB 17 model. No comparing the duck boss to either the 14 classic which will be a marsh boat basically and the 14SC which is actually closer to 15ft when you put a tape on it and measure it. Totally different hulls designed for different situations.

And as for price, Im pretty sure if you think 12.500 for a 15 Duck Boss boat blind and trailer is a good deal your gonna want to see the price of the TDB 14SC because I think you will be quite surprised real soon. We plan to have pricing on the TDB website in just a few weeks.

As for the 14 Classic its in design mode, we have still got to make one more mold for the interior design and I assure you it will be under 10K for boat blind and trailer.

Just a note, if you work for or represent a company then that should be stated when you are giving advice about yours or another company's products. Otherwise there appears to be a conflict of interest.

Good info and since I too am window shopping I find all of this information very interesting.

Fishy
somethinsmellsfishy
hunter

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:58 pm

: Been duck hunting for last 7 years, and have always been a "shore" guy, until this year. I'm sure I've posted pic's of my boat "Murder, Inc." ... 16ft V-Hull Fiberform, with a 90hp Evinrude on her assssssssssss. I camo'd her out, Shade build a hard blind for her sides, cargo netted the front, and she has 6 fog lights.

Now, keeping that in mind, she was a leisure boat before I bought her on the cheap. I've put about $1,600 TOTAL into her so far, and I'm still finding things I need or want to improve on her. To me, that's kinda a really cool way to extend the duck hunting season ... after the depression hits or sets in.

Now, for the record, I'm nervous EVERYTIME I take her out ... due to the fact I'm afraid of drowning in the Columbia, and second, just a fear of the unknown between the river in freezing temp's, or my minimal knowledge of 2 stroke boat motors. So, I've only taken her out a total THIS year, 7 times. Will she get her ass in the water before end of season ... maybe, maybe not, don't know. But what I do know, is its an adventure just having her. Now I will say that it must be a HUGE piece of mind, knowing that everything you got on a brand new boat works, and 99% of the pieces are in place to make your waterfowl experience a safe one. I on the other hand, can't currently afford the luxery.

But the other day, when CBL and I went out ... and everything ran right ... and we only had a small hiccup about a cleat being to small on her ass end for the anchor, well ... that's getting it close to dialed in as I can be ... Ran long lines, and sat in MY boat, and thought "I should do this next" and raise the blind 6 inches ... and get a better boat motor cover than the makeshift I have ...

I'll post a pic of her tomm ... But she's decent!
: Waterfowl Junkie & Host of "Pacific Flyway Radio"

Ragged Outdoors Pro Staff Drinking Team
Killians Irish Red Pro Staff Drinking Team
Famous Dave's BBQ Rib Tip Platter Phat Boy Team
BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby billsarima » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:51 pm

BigBlondeBirdDog wrote:: Been duck hunting for last 7 years, and have always been a "shore" guy, until this year. I'm sure I've posted pic's of my boat "Murder, Inc." ... 16ft V-Hull Fiberform, with a 90hp Evinrude on her assssssssssss. I camo'd her out, Shade build a hard blind for her sides, cargo netted the front, and she has 6 fog lights.

Now, keeping that in mind, she was a leisure boat before I bought her on the cheap. I've put about $1,600 TOTAL into her so far, and I'm still finding things I need or want to improve on her. To me, that's kinda a really cool way to extend the duck hunting season ... after the depression hits or sets in.

Now, for the record, I'm nervous EVERYTIME I take her out ... due to the fact I'm afraid of drowning in the Columbia, and second, just a fear of the unknown between the river in freezing temp's, or my minimal knowledge of 2 stroke boat motors. So, I've only taken her out a total THIS year, 7 times. Will she get her ass in the water before end of season ... maybe, maybe not, don't know. But what I do know, is its an adventure just having her. Now I will say that it must be a HUGE piece of mind, knowing that everything you got on a brand new boat works, and 99% of the pieces are in place to make your waterfowl experience a safe one. I on the other hand, can't currently afford the luxery.

But the other day, when CBL and I went out ... and everything ran right ... and we only had a small hiccup about a cleat being to small on her ass end for the anchor, well ... that's getting it close to dialed in as I can be ... Ran long lines, and sat in MY boat, and thought "I should do this next" and raise the blind 6 inches ... and get a better boat motor cover than the makeshift I have ...

I'll post a pic of her tomm ... But she's decent!

Post some pics!!!
The only duck boat I have at this point in time is a stealth 2000.
Don't say a word about my dog being fat other wise you can fetch your own duck!!!
billsarima
hunter

Postby Tealer » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:52 am

somethinsmellsfishy wrote:
TonyH wrote:

Half the price?

Just a note, if you work for or represent a company then that should be stated when you are giving advice about yours or another company's products. Otherwise there appears to be a conflict of interest.

Good info and since I too am window shopping I find all of this information very interesting.

Fishy

Tony is a pretty knowledgeable boat builder, he currently owns TDB and Waterfowl Works. A company I am also involved with....
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby bknilvr00 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:30 pm

If TDB comes out with a 19 footer, they would be in serious contention for my next boat.... just saying...
bknilvr00
hunter

Postby somethinsmellsfishy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:36 pm

Tealer wrote:
somethinsmellsfishy wrote:
TonyH wrote:

Half the price?

Fishy

Tony is a pretty knowledgeable boat builder, he currently owns TDB and Waterfowl Works. A company I am also involved with....

Then Tony should state that EVERY time he promotes his or talks about some other manufacturer so as NOT to appear conflicting.

Fishy
somethinsmellsfishy
hunter

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:37 pm

: I had to work alittle late ,,, by the time I got home it was close to dark. I'll try to post up a pic tomm. Ordered some Rig'em Right Cargo Nets ... 42" long, and the width can stretch from 10 to 18". Bought two, one for each side.

Also found a deal on Craigslist for a depth / fish finder w/ the works including paperwork and box. $50 ... Gonna buy it tomm, but don't know if it will make it on M.I. before season ends
: Waterfowl Junkie & Host of "Pacific Flyway Radio"

Ragged Outdoors Pro Staff Drinking Team
Killians Irish Red Pro Staff Drinking Team
Famous Dave's BBQ Rib Tip Platter Phat Boy Team
BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby star882 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:34 pm

bknilvr00 wrote:
h2ofowlr wrote:I don't believe the hull design on either boat would provide an optimum set up for a jet. You would have to add custom modifications. Why not use a surface drive or a tiller?

I was just wondering if it would work or not. Not really an option for me since I'm just kinda window shopping at the moment. But I think I have decided on what I'm gna get. I'll probably go with an 18 ft sled, jet drive. I wanna chase the coho's and pinks up the river when the time comes and a fiberglass boat with a prop is hardly ideal. Ive been keeping an eye on Craigslist just watching for boats. Is really like to have a river wild sled built. But if I can get a screaming deal on a used sled when the time comes ill jump on it.

I like the jet sled as well since i wanted something to use for duck hunting and fishing. I looked alot last year and did research and settled with a 18' Alumaweld Super V with a pump. I was able to get a great deal on it from my old boss so it was to hard to pass up. This year i have pretty much just been in the big water trying to figure out sea ducks since i lost my main puddle duck spot and now i have a bigger boat. If i got a spot open ill send a PM since it looks like you live by me. That way you can see how the boat handles to help with your decision.
star882
hunter

Postby Tealer » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:04 pm

bknilvr00 wrote:If TDB comes out with a 19 footer, they would be in serious contention for my next boat.... just saying...

17 or 21....
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby bknilvr00 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:24 pm

Tealer wrote:
bknilvr00 wrote:If TDB comes out with a 19 footer, they would be in serious contention for my next boat.... just saying...

17 or 21....

You know anybody in the area that has a 17 or 21? Id like to check on out

bknilvr00
hunter

Next

Return to Washington Duck Hunting