Duck hunting boats

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

Re: Duck hunting boats

Postby bknilvr00 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:24 pm

star882 wrote:
bknilvr00 wrote:
h2ofowlr wrote:I don't believe the hull design on either boat would provide an optimum set up for a jet. You would have to add custom modifications. Why not use a surface drive or a tiller?

I was just wondering if it would work or not. Not really an option for me since I'm just kinda window shopping at the moment. But I think I have decided on what I'm gna get. I'll probably go with an 18 ft sled, jet drive. I wanna chase the coho's and pinks up the river when the time comes and a fiberglass boat with a prop is hardly ideal. Ive been keeping an eye on Craigslist just watching for boats. Is really like to have a river wild sled built. But if I can get a screaming deal on a used sled when the time comes ill jump on it.

Sent from my space modulator.

I like the jet sled as well since i wanted something to use for duck hunting and fishing. I looked alot last year and did research and settled with a 18' Alumaweld Super V with a pump. I was able to get a great deal on it from my old boss so it was to hard to pass up. This year i have pretty much just been in the big water trying to figure out sea ducks since i lost my main puddle duck spot and now i have a bigger boat. If i got a spot open ill send a PM since it looks like you live by me. That way you can see how the boat handles to help with your decision.

Thatd be awesome!

bknilvr00
hunter

Postby Tool-Man » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:27 pm

I'm real interested to learn more about the 14sc. That sounds like a great boat for me.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Join WWA to save the sport. Ask me about it. http://www.waduck.org
Tool-Man
hunter

Postby Tealer » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:50 am

Tool-Man wrote:I'm real interested to learn more about the 14sc. That sounds like a great boat for me.

You know who to talk to.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:11 pm

So, camo'd her up, threw another cargo net on the front for support to hold bags and gear, and then zip tied "loosely" the camo netting to the netting. Can throw 2 good sized bags of deeks under the bow netting and saves room on the floor.

: Waterfowl Junkie & Host of "Pacific Flyway Radio"

Ragged Outdoors Pro Staff Drinking Team
Killians Irish Red Pro Staff Drinking Team
Famous Dave's BBQ Rib Tip Platter Phat Boy Team
BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby washingtonmuley » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:57 pm

BigBlondeBirdDog wrote:So, camo'd her up, threw another cargo net on the front for support to hold bags and gear, and then zip tied "loosely" the camo netting to the netting. Can throw 2 good sized bags of deeks under the bow netting and saves room on the floor.

She looks good.
washingtonmuley
State Moderator

Postby AnonymousDuck » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:23 pm

BigBlondeBirdDog wrote:So, camo'd her up, threw another cargo net on the front for support to hold bags and gear, and then zip tied "loosely" the camo netting to the netting. Can throw 2 good sized bags of deeks under the bow netting and saves room on the floor.

Been wondering about this and since I noticed you have both fog and regular lights, do you think the fog lights help a lot with the fog or are they a modest help?
Nothing Runs Like a Lab...
SD/SHR, DixieBrit's Waterdog "Dream" Come True.
Member: Combat Veterans Waterfowl Association.

XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:02 pm

: Honestly, havent run her on a foggy day yet, so I cant really answer your question on the white versus yellow. I will tell ya, running all 6 or even the 3 lights up the neighborhood!

BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby billsarima » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:22 pm

Nice boat!! Looks like that boats going to work out great!!!!!! :thumbsup:
Don't say a word about my dog being fat other wise you can fetch your own duck!!!
billsarima
hunter

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:10 am

Have you killed ducks out of it? If so, divers or eaters?
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:23 am

Yes, Yes ... and Yes.

BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby goosegunner12 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:05 pm

I've never rode in a boat with a light set up like BBD's so i have no idea how that would be. I actually prefer to run the boat with no lights on, I can see a lot better with no light vs trying to use a hand held spot light.
goosegunner12
hunter

Postby somethinsmellsfishy » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:04 pm

I have some LED lights on mine and like that they shine bright enough for me to see whats up ahead, though I do not run in the dark much, with me its a safety thing......

Fishy
somethinsmellsfishy
hunter

Postby Tealer » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:19 pm

somethinsmellsfishy wrote:I have some LED lights on mine and like that they shine bright enough for me to see whats up ahead, though I do not run in the dark much, with me its a safety thing......

Fishy

You get used to it. I run the Columbia in the dark 4 days a week.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:30 pm

: Maybe someday, I'll get used to it or be able to run in the dark .... But in the meantime ... I'll be having a light party

BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:36 am

I run the same stretch of river you do and the lights are great but don't help with the underwater obstacles out there. You can go from safe to ripping your outboard off the boat real quick around here. I'll probably add some fog lights to my boat for next year but the number one safety device you can own is a good chart plotting gps/fish finder. It has kept me off the rocks the whole year and was by far a better purchase than the lights I have on my boat.
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby AnonymousDuck » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:35 pm

BigBlondeBirdDog wrote:: Honestly, havent run her on a foggy day yet, so I cant really answer your question on the white versus yellow. I will tell ya, running all 6 or even the 3 lights up the neighborhood!

If you get the chance to use them, sure would appreciate it if you let us know how they work thanks.
Nothing Runs Like a Lab...
SD/SHR, DixieBrit's Waterdog "Dream" Come True.
Member: Combat Veterans Waterfowl Association.

XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Postby somethinsmellsfishy » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:40 pm

Anybody here run a sled with type boat with a windshield that they use for duck hunting also? I thought I saw some pics of a guy that was building a blind for his boat that covers his windshield and has sides big enough to stand up in.

Sure the open boats are nice to hit the small spots with but I am thinking if this things going to cost me upwards of 30 k then I might as well own a boat that I can use for fishing on the Big C, plus use for plunking on the Snoho, Stilly and Skagit.

Lets hear your thoughts!!!!

Fishy
somethinsmellsfishy
hunter

Postby Tealer » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:16 pm

somethinsmellsfishy wrote:Anybody here run a sled with type boat with a windshield that they use for duck hunting also? I thought I saw some pics of a guy that was building a blind for his boat that covers his windshield and has sides big enough to stand up in.

Sure the open boats are nice to hit the small spots with but I am thinking if this things going to cost me upwards of 30 k then I might as well own a boat that I can use for fishing on the Big C, plus use for plunking on the Snoho, Stilly and Skagit.

Fishy

Look in to a Free Drifter, they make them in a 19'. We use big open boats down here and they can run shallow enough to run the lewis and the cow clear to the deadlines.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby bknilvr00 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:31 pm

Tealer wrote:
somethinsmellsfishy wrote:Anybody here run a sled with type boat with a windshield that they use for duck hunting also? I thought I saw some pics of a guy that was building a blind for his boat that covers his windshield and has sides big enough to stand up in.

Fishy

Look in to a Free Drifter, they make them in a 19'. We use big open boats down here and they can run shallow enough to run the lewis and the cow clear to the deadlines.

Tealer how much of a beating do you take in chop since its the shallower hull.
bknilvr00
hunter

Postby Tealer » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:22 pm

bknilvr00 wrote:
Tealer wrote:

Fishy

Tealer how much of a beating do you take in chop since its the shallower hull.

Depends, if your in a super hurry on a bad day you will lose your fillings. Most days you bounce a little. There is no all around boat for the NW.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Hntrspud » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:44 pm

So Tealer, what would you say would be closest? Is it the TDB? Or if you had a choice to make a boat custom, what would you do? I am trying to expand my oppurtunities and want as much info as possible.
Hntrspud
hunter

Postby Tealer » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:20 pm

Hntrspud wrote:So Tealer, what would you say would be closest? Is it the TDB? Or if you had a choice to make a boat custom, what would you do? I am trying to expand my oppurtunities and want as much info as possible.

My boat tastes are strange I have a big boat fetish, I'd run a 30' open flat bottom sled if they made one. Most guys wouldn't think of running that setup, but I only really use a boat as a barge to haul gear. I never really hunt of the boats.

I think that for there size the TDB is best bang for the buck. A 14SC will handle water that scares me in a 19' sled. I have been caught in crazy weather in a 17 classic and felt very safe, little wet but safe.

Finding one boat to do it all is very tough, I think impossible. I think for a duck hunter the TDB's are the best boat for birds .
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Hntrspud » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:57 am

Thank you. I appreciatte your input.
Hntrspud
hunter

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:31 pm

Tealer wrote:
Hntrspud wrote:So Tealer, what would you say would be closest? Is it the TDB? Or if you had a choice to make a boat custom, what would you do? I am trying to expand my oppurtunities and want as much info as possible.

My boat tastes are strange I have a big boat fetish, I'd run a 30' open flat bottom sled if they made one. Most guys wouldn't think of running that setup, but I only really use a boat as a barge to haul gear. I never really hunt of the boats.

I think that for there size the TDB is best bang for the buck. A 14SC will handle water that scares me in a 19' sled. I have been caught in crazy weather in a 17 classic and felt very safe, little wet but safe.

Finding one boat to do it all is very tough, I think impossible. I think for a duck hunter the TDB's are the best boat for birds .

I caught Tealer off guard this year for the opening weekend. Had Tealer & CBL in my boat, along with gear, ... Had Tealer pretty surprised on how stable she was, roomy and how she ran ... Made me feel kinda good about my project boat! Always good to get some input from a guy who's run boats, can tell ya how your doing, and maybe some suggestions on how to improve.

BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby bknilvr00 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:15 pm

Does anybody have any experience with riverwild boats? They do custom rigs and they look like a viable option for my next boat. Apparently the owner is hard to get a hold of so I'm just kinda twiddling my thumbs waiting for him to get back to me.

bknilvr00
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Washington Duck Hunting