Big Rivers, Small Boats & Motors

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

Big Rivers, Small Boats & Motors

Postby JSHARP » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:48 am

I live near the Columbia and would like to start hunting it more. I currently have a 13' Ocean Kayak "Ambush". This is a very stable boat, with 44" width and is rated to handle up to 800 lbs. I understand the river can get real nasty and I am not looking to go out or cross the entire river during rough weather. However, there are small islands and channels on both the OR and WA sides that I believe can be reached safely in small boat.

I am looking for some folks with experiences on larger "moving" bodies of water, this could include tidal areas as well, Ilwaco, Astoria, Willapa, etc.

Lastly, the the boat is set up for transom mounted motor as well. I was looking at Minn Kotas and outbards 2.5hp-10hp, but dont want to be left wanting more if I choose the 30 lbs. Minn Kota over a 10 hp. I also need to consider the pros and cons of each set up. wieght vs. power, etc.

Thanks for reading!
JSHARP
Newb

Re: Big Rivers, Small Boats & Motors

Postby brokerbyduck » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:36 pm

I'm coming down on the side of NO with that setup. I don't have experience with the lower Columbia but I don't think you've got the right boat for the job unless you are staying swimming distance from the bank. The wind picks up quick on this river where I'm at and I wouldn't take either of my sneak boats very far out into the river without a tender boat nearby.

Stuff happens, especially when you add decoys, guns and bad weather into the mix.
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Re: Big Rivers, Small Boats & Motors

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:06 pm

Pick your days and tides very carefully if you want to kayak the Columbia. I have seen my share of days when I wouldn't hunt it in my 18 foot sled. I have also seen my share of dead flat mill pond days. If you do kayak it make sure you have fire starting supplies and stuff to keep you alive over night in bad weather conditions. I would strongly reccomend a dry suit.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting