Introduction

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

Introduction

Postby Leatherneck » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:20 am

I've been reading some posts on here so thought I should make an account and join. I started duck hunting last year, kind of by accident. I fish a lot and last year I had a fishing buddy who would bring a shotgun while we floated rivers. We would jump shoot ducks while we were fishing and after a few trips doing that I was hooked. Well now when winter comes around, my buddies are more interested in steelhead fishing while I am more excited to go duck hunting. I've floated the river a few times this year jump shooting but you push a lot of birds downriver doing that until they flush into adjacent land, usually into private farm field. I have a north river jet sled so thinking about heading east and trying out on the Columbia river. I've duck hunted out that way a few times while pheasant hunting and did ok. I look forward to reading some posts and contributing to the forum and hope to meet some new hunting buddies.

On the fishing forum I'm a member on it is customary to tell a story on your introduction so here it goes. Last year I went out in the second to last day of the season by myself. It was horrible weather and the place I was at everybody left by 8 am. So I was sitting out there in the rain in this row boat I borrowed from my friend with some decoys I borrowed and figured I'd stick it out. Shortly after everybody left ducks starting flying all over the place out fields around the pond. I started calling and one single mallard came trying to land in my decoys and that's how I shot my first mallard. I was ecstatic that it worked, it was awesome to see a bird land in decoys and respond to calling. I rowed the boat out and grabbed the duck and just went back and packed my stuff and went home, I didn't even care if I shot another I was happy I just got the one.
Leatherneck
hunter

Re: Introduction

Postby Tool-Man » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:30 am

:welcome: :welcome:

I like your style! I love a good cast and blast myself!

:welcome:
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Join WWA to save the sport. Ask me about it. http://www.waduck.org
Tool-Man
hunter

Postby washingtonmuley » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:22 pm

washingtonmuley
State Moderator

Postby brokerbyduck » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:47 pm

Welcome aboard and thanks for the story!
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby Lost Fish » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:39 am

Good story!!!

But sad to see you get into the sport as it will brainwash you. Even when you are out fishing you will find yourself looking for birds and missing fish strikes!

Good luck for the season and Join WWA
Reb
Fish, Hunt, Coffee, and Beer! What more does a guy need!!!
NW WWA Best Parking Space
Retired Marine, Now living off the Goverment (Wife's) Tit!!!
Lost Fish
hunter

Postby billsarima » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:37 pm

Don't say a word about my dog being fat other wise you can fetch your own duck!!!
billsarima
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:58 pm

Welcome!
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby johnsonthehunter » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:51 pm

Welcome! But i must admit, i am pretty jealous of how you got started! I have been hoping to go steelheading/duck hunting but havent got around to it. Happy hunting and fishing!
All/Ways Outdoors
johnsonthehunter
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting