What a day!

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, h2ofowlr, brokerbyduck

What a day!

Postby ohtajj » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:55 pm

Okay here's the summary. My dad and I were going to hit a new spot I had all scouted out this morning. Got to the launch at 4am and the temperature read 11 degrees, break some ice and put the boat in, all is well. Get to the spot and there's just too much ice so we go with plan B which put us up against shooting light. I hurry and throw out my deeks and hop in the blind, look over the spread and I don't like the placement of a couple so I go out to move them, step in a hole and go up to my chin! At this point we almost packed it in, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. Shooting light comes and we are in the blind with the heater going, icicles hanging off my eye lashes and every layer of clothing I have is turning to ice.
Not a ton of birds flying so we finally threw in the towel after I shot this little guy. Image

Was it really worth it?? You bet it was, every miserable second!

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2
ohtajj
hunter
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:47 am


Re: What a day!

Postby brokerbyduck » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:21 pm

You get your "hardcore waterfowler" badge for that story! :biggrin:
If you've never had to swim in your waders, your time is coming. Seems to happen to us all every now and then.
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
User avatar
brokerbyduck
State Moderator
 
Posts: 831
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:29 pm
Location: Behind the gun in Richland

Re: What a day!

Postby B_Squared » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:21 am

I think my Dad, God rest his soul, was an Olympic wader swimmer! Never been so lucky myself, but I saw him flailing in waders a couple of times. I tried to learn by watching. My day is coming but the longer I can delay it, the better!
B_Squared
hunter
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:08 pm
Location: Washington

Re: What a day!

Postby Cougar125 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:21 am

brokerbyduck wrote:You get your "hardcore waterfowler" badge for that story! :biggrin:
If you've never had to swim in your waders, your time is coming. Seems to happen to us all every now and then.

I know I stepped in a few holes last year in tidal lands and got wet more than once. LoL. Glad the OP still had a great day!
There are no ducks in the desert!
User avatar
Cougar125
hunter
 
Posts: 1206
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:18 pm
Location: Deployment again!

Re: What a day!

Postby ohtajj » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:45 am

B_Squared wrote:I think my Dad, God rest his soul, was an Olympic wader swimmer! Never been so lucky myself, but I saw him flailing in waders a couple of times. I tried to learn by watching. My day is coming but the longer I can delay it, the better!


I would suggest not doing it for the first time when the thermometer is closing in on single digits :o
Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2
ohtajj
hunter
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:47 am

Re: What a day!

Postby ohtajj » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:47 am

Cougar125 wrote:
brokerbyduck wrote:You get your "hardcore waterfowler" badge for that story! :biggrin:
If you've never had to swim in your waders, your time is coming. Seems to happen to us all every now and then.

I know I stepped in a few holes last year in tidal lands and got wet more than once. LoL. Glad the OP still had a great day!


I'm not sure I would say it was a great day, but made a lot of memories with my dad and it was really a lot of fun. A few more ducks or some dry clothes probably would have made it a great day8-)

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2
ohtajj
hunter
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:47 am


Return to Washington Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], idahohunter26, Jim Atlas, Leatherneck and 11 guests