Gimmick shot shells

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, h2ofowlr, brokerbyduck

Re: Gimmick shot shells

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:24 pm

I'm a fan of finding what knocks the piss outta the ducks ... I'm an Estate guy #1's, 3 inch ... I dont buy into the marketing
: Waterfowl Junkie & Host of "Pacific Flyway Radio"

Ragged Outdoors Pro Staff Drinking Team
Killians Irish Red Pro Staff Drinking Team
Famous Dave's BBQ Rib Tip Platter Phat Boy Team
BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Gimmick shot shells

Postby BM0711 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:51 pm

Fiochii 3" #1 w/ 1 1/5 oz of shot. With a good choke and shooting birds at the right range the cheap stuff knocks down birds as good as anything else! 11.99 at Big R

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by BM0711 on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BM0711
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:09 pm

I tried the Blind Side and it is a gimic. Didn't pattern well and I wasn't impressed. We have had good luck with the Black Cloud and I have shot about 5 cases of it. Closer range it would really tear up the birds. Lot of blood shot. I have had good luck Winchester #2's for ducks as well.
I just finished off my first case of Hevi-Metal #2's for this season so far and have really done well on the birds with it. Most of the birds that have hit the ground have been DOA. One of the spots I shoot, due to blind location most shots are 30-45 yard shots and most of the birds have been DOA as well. If you want to spend just a little more, I would look at the Hevi-Metal vs. the black cloud, blind side, Remington Hypersonic stuff. A good all around shell.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby aaronoto » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:16 pm

I drank the kool aid and tried some Hevi Metals. I've seen a noticeable difference between the Hevi Metal and the Kents that I used to shoot. Or maybe my aim is just better because the shells are pricier :biggrin:
aaronoto
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:22 pm

aaronoto wrote:I drank the kool aid and tried some Hevi Metals. I've seen a noticeable difference between the Hevi Metal and the Kents that I used to shoot. Or maybe my aim is just better because the shells are pricier :biggrin:

You gotta love density of metals! I like the Hevi-Metal, just don't like the price tag. That is why I purchased over 10 cases prior to the opener. It saved me about $70 per case.
Cut Um!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby brokerbyduck » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:35 am

I bought a case of 3" #3's and BB's in hevi metal for my 12 gauge. I've found the BB's kill ducks and geese stone dead but am not impressed with the performance on ducks for the 3's. To many birds hitting the water with their heads up causing a lot of extra work for the dog. I hunt big water and the shots aren't always at "in your face" ranges but I expected better results. I might try #2's or #1's in hevi metal but no more 3's on big ducks for me.
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby Erie » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:42 am

brokerbyduck wrote:I bought a case of 3" #3's and BB's in hevi metal for my 12 gauge. I've found the BB's kill ducks and geese stone dead but am not impressed with the performance on ducks for the 3's. To many birds hitting the water with their heads up causing a lot of extra work for the dog. I hunt big water and the shots aren't always at "in your face" ranges but I expected better results. I might try #2's or #1's in hevi metal but no more 3's on big ducks for me.

Aim better
WWA member
NRA lifetime member
DU member
Erie
hunter

Postby Erie » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:44 am

h2ofowlr wrote:
aaronoto wrote:I drank the kool aid and tried some Hevi Metals. I've seen a noticeable difference between the Hevi Metal and the Kents that I used to shoot. Or maybe my aim is just better because the shells are pricier :biggrin:

You gotta love density of metals! I like the Hevi-Metal, just don't like the price tag. That is why I purchased over 10 cases prior to the opener. It saved me about $70 per case.

$70 off per case? Enviro metal doesn't do a bulk discount unless your actually selling it. Are you Prostaff? I don't believe you were able to get that discount.
WWA member
NRA lifetime member
DU member
Erie
hunter

Postby bknilvr00 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:51 am

Erie wrote:
h2ofowlr wrote:

$70 off per case? Enviro metal doesn't do a bulk discount unless your actually selling it. Are you Prostaff? I don't believe you were able to get that discount.

And the plot thickens...

Sent from my space modulator.
bknilvr00
hunter

Postby Tool-Man » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:16 am

Fiocci #2 in 3" is my goto. I'll shoot federal blue box #2, 3" in a pinch but it is so dirty.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Join WWA to save the sport. Ask me about it. http://www.waduck.org
Tool-Man
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:22 am

Erie wrote:
h2ofowlr wrote:

A non-believer that's okay. No reason to steer you wrong, but when your able to get a great deal and $70 off what Cabelas and other's are selling it for it's worth your while to buy it. Prostaff might be a good way to save a few bucks. :thumbsup:
Attachments
Hevi Metal.JPG
Cut Um!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby Erie » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:46 am

I don't doubt that you bought 10 cases but it's highly unlikely you got them for less than $190.00 a case for 3" or $210.00 case for 3.5".
WWA member
NRA lifetime member
DU member
Erie
hunter

Postby ohtajj » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:50 pm

I tried just about everything I could get my hands on with my old 870 and my new sx3. In both guns Blindside patterned like crap, black cloud was pretty decent, as was hevimetal #2's and #4s but #3's and BB had some holes. Hypersonic had some big holes in the pattern from 40yds and out and kicked like a donkey.
Surprisingly 3" federal blue box and Kent Fasteel #2 11/4oz were the two best out of both guns with my patternmaster.
I think you just gotta shoot whatever load patterns well out of your gun/choke gimmick shells or not. I am personally glad its some of the cheaper stuff that patterns well out of my gun.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2
ohtajj
hunter

Postby skagitduckwacker » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:59 pm

ohtajj wrote:I tried just about everything I could get my hands on with my old 870 and my new sx3. In both guns Blindside patterned like crap, black cloud was pretty decent, as was hevimetal #2's and #4s but #3's and BB had some holes. Hypersonic had some big holes in the pattern from 40yds and out and kicked like a donkey.
Surprisingly 3" federal blue box and Kent Fasteel #2 11/4oz were the two best out of both guns with my patternmaster.
I think you just gotta shoot whatever load patterns well out of your gun/choke gimmick shells or not. I am personally glad its some of the cheaper stuff that patterns well out of my gun.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2

Same for me. I patterned all the new "wad control" ammo and the old reliables with factory, Trulock, and Patternmaster chokes. Kent 2s with the Patternmaster showed best pattern on paper and seem to give me the cleanest kills consistently in the field. I have burned up the expensive stuff I bought for patterning and am happy to pay $14/box for the rest of the season.
Duck dogs go to heaven too.
skagitduckwacker
hunter

Postby SnoGeez » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:04 pm

I went budgetary this year and shot a case of Winchester xpert #1, I'll be going back to the hevi-metal #2, maybe try a case of BB. I had a couple xperts that didn't fully eject, something that's never happened with my gun. It is more money, but my confidence in the quality of the shell makes it worth it. Apparently, I just need to convince H2O to let me into his bulk buy next year. :hi:

I shot a few boxes of blackcloud. I found them dirty and they mangled birds big time, I like to eat what I kill and hate debris in my face.

Tealer can keep his hypersonic, they kicked my butt.

A guy in our group has shot blindside the past couple years, maybe it's his shooting ability, gun, choke, or all three, but they seem to serve him well. I've seen a couple birds that seemed "out there" that he's crushed.

To each his own I suppose!
SnoGeez
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:57 am

My favorite shells are what my buddies bring. :lol3: I've been shooting Blue Steel Rio's 3" No. 2's on seaducks and they seem to shoot about as good as Winchester Supreme. The price is right too. :thumbsup:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby jaegerfisherman » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:25 pm

I've shot estate 1's and 2's and they seem like they work good. The stuff from wal mart is a joke. Winchester. Kent works good. I'm tempted to just try a box of the blind side but all it is a gimmick to me. Just allows all the dummies out there to shoot farther and wound more birds without having a dog. I wouldn't mind having a shot shell limit. Like 15 shells per day. I know some spots are like this. Would make people shoot closer,wound less birds and overall a better experience. If u can't get a limit with 15 shells then something is wrong. That's a avg. of 2 shells per bird.
jaegerfisherman
hunter

Postby bknilvr00 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:38 pm

jaegerfisherman wrote:I've shot estate 1's and 2's and they seem like they work good. The stuff from wal mart is a joke. Winchester. Kent works good. I'm tempted to just try a box of the blind side but all it is a gimmick to me. Just allows all the dummies out there to shoot farther and wound more birds without having a dog. I wouldn't mind having a shot shell limit. Like 15 shells per day. I know some spots are like this. Would make people shoot closer,wound less birds and overall a better experience. If u can't get a limit with 15 shells then something is wrong. That's a avg. of 2 shells per bird.

I don't know of you have actually hunted the 15 shell limit areas, but it doesn't change anything. It's even better when you can watch guys rip open another box or four.

Sent from my space modulator.
bknilvr00
hunter

Postby jaegerfisherman » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:24 pm

Yea, I've heard that too. That guys just open up another box. That's where enforcement comes in but there is a lack of enforcement
jaegerfisherman
hunter

Postby duckdogger07 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:51 pm

A 15 shell limit screw that! I can kill 25 coot 7 regular ducks 4 geese and 2 pheasant where i hunt. 15 shell limit my balls!!!
May your birds fly low and your aim be true!

Waiting for October....
duckdogger07
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting