painful finger splits ..... all part of hunting season

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

painful finger splits ..... all part of hunting season

Postby bluebiller » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:08 pm

.....I've had fingers split on me most of my life during hunting seasons due to dryness or for whatever reasons. Tried all the notables from lotions to vaseline to vapor rub and so forth. Nothing ever works. Fingers continue to split. Talk about painful!
I remember a few years ago someone else brought up this subject and there were a few remedies. Anyone care to re-share that info? Thanks in advance.

Great hunt up at Skagit today. No ducks, but the snows were plentiful. At least 5000 ....... some blues and some whites. I'll be there once again tomorrow morning.
bluebiller

"decoyless, pass, jump, and sneak hunting ..... falling to earth and getting your face dirty"
bluebiller
hunter

Re: painful finger splits ..... all part of hunting season

Postby skagitduckwacker » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:15 pm

Have you tried Bag Balm?
Duck dogs go to heaven too.
skagitduckwacker
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:54 pm

Now that you've posted this I've gone and looked at my hands. Both pinkies at the top knuckle are split pretty good. :rolleyes:
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby JMTaylor » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:22 pm

Udderly Smooth. Between cold, blood, and salt 10-12 hours a day it was the only thing that saved my hands. Found at farm stores at least back in Iowa
JMTaylor
hunter

Postby skagitduckwacker » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:56 pm

JMTaylor wrote:Udderly Smooth. Between cold, blood, and salt 10-12 hours a day it was the only thing that saved my hands. Found at farm stores at least back in Iowa

I work in mortar and grout all day long and my hands get thrashed. I use Bag Balm every day or else. It's anti-septic too so it helps keep small cuts from festering up.
skagitduckwacker
hunter

Postby Meatss » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:57 pm

Corn Huskers Lotion.
Works great on hands that pull saltwater longlines all season.

Lord forgive me for I shoot hens.
Meatss
hunter

Postby Tuxedocoot » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:11 pm

Really Why? us from colder climates know it is dry in winter DOH. You weties get cold LOL
Pro Staff = Your someone's "B" for their profit, Sucker fish
Tuxedocoot
hunter

Postby caribou creek » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:38 pm

Glue them up with new skin, at least you won't piss your waders when you smack an open crack on the side of a decoy. :crying: :crying:
caribou creek
hunter

Postby La. Hunter » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:12 am

Sometimes I wish we had more cold weather down here so that i wouldn't have to fight the cotton mouths, alligators and Mosquitos, but then we get a couple of days with lows in the 20's and I realize I'd rather fight the nuisances of warm weather. I'll admit though that it was nice having a little ice at the edge of the water earlier this week, until I realized I'd never patched my waders from last year and was soaking wet from the knees down.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby AKPirate » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:29 am

La. Hunter wrote:Sometimes I wish we had more cold weather down here so that i wouldn't have to fight the cotton mouths, alligators and Mosquitos, but then we get a couple of days with lows in the 20's and I realize I'd rather fight the nuisances of warm weather. I'll admit though that it was nice having a little ice at the edge of the water earlier this week, until I realized I'd never patched my waders from last year and was soaking wet from the knees down.

Knees down and you can blame a leak, crotch down and it's oh sheet LA :yes:
AKPirate
hunter

Postby Tealer » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:36 am

La. Hunter wrote:Sometimes I wish we had more cold weather down here so that i wouldn't have to fight the cotton mouths, alligators and Mosquitos, but then we get a couple of days with lows in the 20's and I realize I'd rather fight the nuisances of warm weather. I'll admit though that it was nice having a little ice at the edge of the water earlier this week, until I realized I'd never patched my waders from last year and was soaking wet from the knees down.

When you live here you adjust to it. I still haven't needed the long underwear yet. When I get to your neck of the woods I can barely stand the heat and humidity. How do you duck hunt in 70* we sleep in for that weather?
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby AKPirate » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:10 am

Tealer wrote:

When you live here you adjust to it. I still haven't needed the long underwear yet. When I get to your neck of the woods I can barely stand the heat and humidity. How do you duck hunt in 70* we sleep in for that weather?

You just drink water Ranger, when the birds are flying, you'd be up.
AKPirate
hunter

Postby La. Hunter » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:51 am

Tealer wrote:

70's a little warm for me to duck hunt unless we have plenty of ducks down. I usually climb in a deer stand at those temps.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby Guzman » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:32 am

Super glue cracks when they form.

Also getting a manicure helps. They remove some of the old skin which can get brittle and crack.
Guzman
hunter

Postby jaegerfisherman » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:53 pm

ever tried hydrocortisone?
jaegerfisherman
hunter

Postby northern hunter » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:56 pm

You can try Bag Balm or lotion put it on real heavy and then put on a latex glove to keep it from evaporating and where it as long as you can each day or night. It will help.
northern hunter
hunter

Postby whistlingwings » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:47 pm

Guzman wrote:Also getting a manicure helps. They remove some of the old skin which can get brittle and crack.

A little help from Oregon comin at ya -- Guzman hit the nail on the head. I've got severe severe dry skin, cracking is caused by layers of dead skin getting brittle and not being able to flex and bend like normal.

File down dead skin and you'll never have a crack again. I have to do it 2/3 times a week, but no more cracks is worth it.
Nobody cares about your season totals. Especially if you pay to hunt private.
whistlingwings
hunter

Postby skagitduckwacker » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:11 pm

whistlingwings wrote:
Guzman wrote:Also getting a manicure helps. They remove some of the old skin which can get brittle and crack.

A little help from Oregon comin at ya -- Guzman hit the nail on the head. I've got severe severe dry skin, cracking is caused by layers of dead skin getting brittle and not being able to flex and bend like normal.

File down dead skin and you'll never have a crack again. I have to do it 2/3 times a week, but no more cracks is worth it.

I bet a belt sander and some 60 grit will knock the dead stuff faster than a file. :biggrin:
skagitduckwacker
hunter

Postby PNWGator » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:06 pm

I've tried the various lotions, bag balm etc. with little to no luck. A few years ago a fellow steelheader recommended O'Keefe's Working Hands cream. It works. Green tub and available at Lowes. It's good stuff.
Super gluing the cracks shut has provided some relief. Just be careful not to get it in an open wound.
PNWGator
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting