Bird Total

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, h2ofowlr, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck

Re: Bird Total

Postby johnsonthehunter » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:36 pm

Right around 50, already shot more geese than i have any other season and i like it!
All/Ways Outdoors
johnsonthehunter
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:02 pm

A fair amount, I don't keep score but I'm getting close to 100 I think. That's a lot to some and not much to others but I'm having a good time this year. :thumbsup:
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby Snowgoose1 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:23 pm

Quite a good season, 3 times, 7 green limits. Numerous Snows decoying and this is by far is my best Canada season yet. Won't list the number of birds because I hunt private and it is a nominal fee, but so worth it. I'm getting too old to walk far. I do really believe the big bird flocks are just later than usual.
Snowgoose1
hunter

Postby SnoGeez » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:00 pm

Snowgoose1 wrote:Numerous Snows decoying

Tell us more about this, 'tis music to my ears! I'm going to have to knock on some doors and get after them next year.
SnoGeez
hunter

Postby Snowgoose1 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:08 am

When hunting Snows we only use full body decoys now and usually when we get the spot it's with over 100 of them. We have upgraded all our decoys to very quality and it makes a difference in finishing birds. Not saying silo socks or rags don't work, but finishing birds with full bodies makes a difference. We find that when it's slow and only a few groups come in and if they finish well we get way more birds down out of each group. Yes it costs a lot more, but so worth the extra expence for a quality hunt.
Snowgoose1
hunter

Postby NW slayer » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:16 pm

Think we are at 104. Geese do not like our field this year but the ducks have been good til the last 3 weeks and it has slowed.

Sent from my C771 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
take em! hook up! the two best things to hear in life
NW slayer
hunter

Postby jaegerfisherman » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:44 pm

how do scoters taste?
jaegerfisherman
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:30 pm

52 ducks out of 9 hunts so far, and still going strong... As long as everything over here in Idaho doesn't freeze over yet!
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby East Side Hunter » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:38 pm

Just west of Idaho and have open flowing water. Bird numbers mean 0. How much sticks mean means something. Shooting geese.
Is 7 ducks to one goose weight of meat?
East Side Hunter
hunter

Postby tealdog » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:49 pm

Erie wrote:4 Stages of a hunter:

Stage 1:
I just hope to get one, doesn't matter what kind

Stage 2:
I want to shoot so many that we can fill the back of the truck to the top

Stage 3:
Im going to be selective, make sure the birds do it tight, pick out drakes, much more about quality NOT quantity. '

Stage 4:
Take the kids out, get people involved, conserve the resource leave a lasting impression on others to do it right.

Ask yourself what stage hunter are you?

I hunt in stage 3, I'm struggling with stage 4 as I end up hunting with those in stage 2. I like taking kids, but adults who don't get it are just created competition. I don't help adults anymore, just kids.
tealdog
hunter

Postby vandeman17 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:30 pm

tealdog wrote:

Stage 1:

Stage 2:

Stage 3:
Im going to be selective, make sure the birds do it tight, pick out drakes, much more about quality NOT quantity. '

Stage 4:
Take the kids out, get people involved, conserve the resource leave a lasting impression on others to do it right.

I hunt in stage 3, I'm struggling with stage 4 as I end up hunting with those in stage 2. I like taking kids, but adults who don't get it are just created competition. I don't help adults anymore, just kids.

I am in stage three but would add more to it. I enjoy watching the dog work and seeing her learn the ropes. Can't beat the anticipation and the excitement they have. :thumbsup:
"Coming right at us! A pair of singles!"
vandeman17
hunter

Postby Tool-Man » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:09 pm

Crow, pigeon and starling.... Stage 2 all day, every day. :beer:
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Join WWA to save the sport. Ask me about it. http://www.waduck.org
Tool-Man
hunter

Postby Tealer » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:28 pm

Tool-Man wrote:Crow, pigeon and starling.... Stage 2 all day, every day. :beer:

But is a classy 2
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby zier » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:24 pm

This last few weeks haven't put but 3 birds down though. Everything has disappeared in my areas.
Even with getting what I have I've seen maybe 1/20 the amount of normal on divers. Puddlers have been decent. No geese this year.
zier
hunter

Postby Hntrspud » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:43 pm

in the 50's. I have not shot a limit at all this year. Havent shot but one mallard, mostly teal, pinnies, widgeon and scaup. Hope we get some weather, id like to shoot a limit once this year.
Hntrspud
hunter

Postby AnonymousDuck » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:32 pm

My worse season ever, hammerd lots of buffs and one ringneck sick of buffs lol. I figured at lest if I shot enough I would have a little meat in the freezer. Just bad timing I guess. Glad to hear some of you are doing well at lest.
Nothing Runs Like a Lab...
SD/SHR, DixieBrit's Waterdog "Dream" Come True.
Member: Combat Veterans Waterfowl Association.

XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Postby zier » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:16 pm

77 now. With mallard and teal making up my last trip with 5 shot.
zier
hunter

Postby goosegunner12 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:48 am

Stage 1:

Stage 2:

Stage 3:

Stage 4:

I think once you exit stage 2 and enter 3 your hunting improves 10 fold. You learn more and apply that knowledge to your next hunts, then you can can enjoy the best of both worlds ,quality and quantity. As for the me the last 3 seasons have been stage 4. It's seems after the past couple seasons of stories being told by my son and a couple other buddies of his that hunt with us. 3/4 of his basketball team all went out and got there hunter safety done ( including dads). So this year has been full of first time youth and dad hunts for me. With fairly good success and lots of smiles.
goosegunner12
hunter

Postby zier » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:28 pm

84. Shot 5 shovelers, 1 widgeon and a bufflehead for my limit today. Should have been more patient and shot all puddlers but couldn't restrain myself like a have been this season. That bufflehead just had a shell with his name all over it. :lol3:
zier
hunter

Postby LongshotBill:) » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:17 am

AnonymousDuck wrote:My worse season ever, hammerd lots of buffs and one ringneck sick of buffs lol. I figured at lest if I shot enough I would have a little meat in the freezer. Just bad timing I guess. Glad to hear some of you are doing well at lest.

Me too! Wrong spot and can only hunt these beautiful weekends we have been having... Two hours from now may change it though! A good windy day!

Bird total= ducksicles for training. Not a good one in the bunch, the dog sure likes the stinkers though. :wink:
LongshotBill:)
hunter

Postby zier » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:27 pm

Would be getting more but the idiots I've been dealing with. Today every time it had birds even near my end the boat across the lake would run over and try to scare them to the other six people in his group. This happened about 15 times. Plucking birds at the launch is not cool either. That's what happens when I let them have my spot and try to be a nice guy. :mad:
Next time I will call in for harassment of wildlife with a motor vehicle.
zier
hunter

Postby rdjolympia » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:50 pm

Stage 1:

Stage 2:

Stage 3:

Stage 4:

Stage 2 for one week a year in Canada. Always trying to bowl a perfect game. Back home, stage four. Birds finally arrived and had the kid out yesterday and had a hunter out that was 81 years old today. Invited an old friend out who lost a lung to cancer and can drive a quad up to the blind to join us in the coming weeks.
rdjolympia
hunter

Postby zier » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:40 pm

I am aware of that. I will be keeping my eye open to get his info next time I see him. Screwed up and didn't get it today.
zier
hunter

Postby zier » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:05 pm

101 ducks, 3 geese, 1 snipe, about 15 coot.
zier
hunter

Previous

Return to Washington Duck Hunting