Deep Cycle Battery

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, h2ofowlr, brokerbyduck

Deep Cycle Battery

Postby SlayingFowlIzMyJOB » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:34 pm

Mounted the Minn Kota on the bow and after doing a bit of searching I couldn't find a decent review on a deep cycle battery. I was wondering if any of you fine gents that have these motors had any suggestions?
SlayingFowlIzMyJOB
hunter

Re: Deep Cycle Battery

Postby somethinsmellsfishy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:08 pm

For the last ten plus years I have been using the Walmart brand deep cycle batteries and have never had a problem with any of them. I don't know who makes them but I have bought some of the more expensive brands and have gotten no better use out of them.

I am sure you will hear lots of "Chevy VS Ford" quotes from those loyal fans but I have had good luck with those lowly Walmart batterys.

My 2 $

Fishy
somethinsmellsfishy
hunter

Postby SlayingFowlIzMyJOB » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:26 pm

somethinsmellsfishy wrote:For the last ten plus years I have been using the Walmart brand deep cycle batteries and have never had a problem with any of them. I don't know who makes them but I have bought some of the more expensive brands and have gotten no better use out of them.

I am sure you will hear lots of "Chevy VS Ford" quotes from those loyal fans but I have had good luck with those lowly Walmart batterys.

My 2 $

Fishy

Thanks...I figured that the Walmart brand would do but it never hurts to ask. Thanks again!!!
SlayingFowlIzMyJOB
hunter

Postby ShaqDiesel » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:57 pm

I too use the walmart batteries and the key to keeping a deep cycle battery in good shape is keeping it active and because its a deep cycle, it is designed to be drained so when your not using it for an extended period of time, drain that sucker and charge it back up to keep it fresh.
One Shot Wonder...
ShaqDiesel
hunter

Postby Berex » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:25 pm

I use two costco batteries on my 24volt mine kota had no issues been told by more than one person there rebranded interstates but a lot cheaper
Berex
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:42 pm

I went with the biggest one they had at the local Walmart. So far so good.
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby somethinsmellsfishy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:28 pm

brokerbyduck wrote:I went with the biggest one they had at the local Walmart. So far so good.

I have a group 27 in my duck boat and have been asked more than once why I have such a big battery to turn over a 40 horse motor. My thought has always been that out on the water you can't call a towtruck and I may need all of that cranking and capacity to get me back home.

Course when it comes to safety I kind of go overboard.

Fishy
somethinsmellsfishy
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:33 pm

somethinsmellsfishy wrote:
brokerbyduck wrote:I went with the biggest one they had at the local Walmart. So far so good.

I have a group 27 in my duck boat and have been asked more than once why I have such a big battery to turn over a 40 horse motor. My thought has always been that out on the water you can't call a towtruck and I may need all of that cranking and capacity to get me back home.

Fishy

I've heard it is really hard to push start an outboard on the water! LOL I'd rather have too much battery than not enough.
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby SlayingFowlIzMyJOB » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:35 pm

Thanks appreciate the info fellas!!
SlayingFowlIzMyJOB
hunter

Postby somethinsmellsfishy » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:17 am

brokerbyduck wrote:
somethinsmellsfishy wrote:

Fishy

I've heard it is really hard to push start an outboard on the water! LOL I'd rather have too much battery than not enough.

Haven't heard of anyone doing that yet! :lol: At my age and with all the shoulder surgerys I have had pull starting is out of the question too.

Fishy
somethinsmellsfishy
hunter

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:34 am

Send a PM to Shade ... He got me 2 "Ain't F'en Around" Deep Cycles for my boat brand new in a trade deal him and I worked out ... Freakin things are AWESOME!
: Waterfowl Junkie & Host of "Pacific Flyway Radio"

Ragged Outdoors Pro Staff Drinking Team
Killians Irish Red Pro Staff Drinking Team
Famous Dave's BBQ Rib Tip Platter Phat Boy Team
BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby Tuxedocoot » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:26 am

You need to use them. Deep charge loose power. You need to drain them and slow charge them. "DEEP" draw them low and charge slowly. Maintain. But need a hard draw once in a while to stay strong. Letting a deep cycle sitting for awhile is hard on them.
Buy AutoZone. 2 year later get a new one. Kill the first one, Before two years. One new Battery.
If your motor doesn't have a charging system. Use a battery tender.
Pro Staff = Your someone's "B" for their profit, Sucker fish
Tuxedocoot
hunter

Postby somethinsmellsfishy » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:31 pm

Auto zone did not have a two year warranty when I looked at them today,Not for a marine battery. I was pricing some and Walmart did have a two year warranty for about the same price as the Autozone battery,plus it had higher cold cranking amps!

My two cents.

Fishy
somethinsmellsfishy
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting