Anyone run a Smoker craft 1866 Sportsman

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, h2ofowlr, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck

Anyone run a Smoker craft 1866 Sportsman

Postby somethinsmellsfishy » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:24 pm

I am just starting to look into a bigger boat and have seen the smoker craft specs and it looks pretty nice. I know there are those that run the Phowler,War Eagle, etc,etc, but I am looking to do more than just waterfowl out of this. Steelhead and salmon, etc. Anyone having any imput would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Fishy
somethinsmellsfishy
hunter

Re: Anyone run a Smoker craft 1866 Sportsman

Postby bknilvr00 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:28 pm

I have looked long and hard at the same boat. But after some digging I found that they are notorious for weak welds. Plus, the sides don't have as much height as I would personally like. But, if its fits your uses and the price is right go for it.

Sent from my space modulator.
bknilvr00
hunter

Postby somethinsmellsfishy » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:55 pm

bknilvr00 wrote:I have looked long and hard at the same boat. But after some digging I found that they are notorious for weak welds. Plus, the sides don't have as much height as I would personally like. But, if its fits your uses and the price is right go for it.

I'm all ears, tell me what you found out and what you decided to go with. I want some free board and plenty of room. I only want to buy this once so let me know what you run and why.

Fishy
somethinsmellsfishy
hunter

Postby Triggerman » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:14 pm

What do you run now?

What do you like/dislike about your current boat?

What's your budget?

What is it going to be the MAIN use of your new boat?
SHOW ME YOUR WWA MEMBERSHIP CARD, OR YOU'RE SWIMMING BACK TO THE BOAT LAUNCH!!!
Triggerman
hunter

Postby somethinsmellsfishy » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:42 pm

Triggerman wrote:What do you run now?

What's your budget?

I have a(2006) Lowe L1648Mt with a (98) 40 horse evinrude with a pump (28 @ pump), twelve gal aluminum fuel tank forward, Avery quick set blind w GPS,Fishfinder, bilge, LED bow lights.

Its not big enough for me (getting older fat guy),dekes,dog,buddy,gear and etc.

Lets just say I'd like to keep it under 30.

Main use will be duck,steelie,salmon in the rivers.

Any thoughts here would be appreciated as I know that others have gone here many,many times before.....

Fishy
somethinsmellsfishy
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:47 pm

bknilvr00 wrote:I have looked long and hard at the same boat. But after some digging I found that they are notorious for weak welds. Plus, the sides don't have as much height as I would personally like. But, if its fits your uses and the price is right go for it.

One of the guys I used to hunt with at my old location has one of these. He broke many of the welds in the front end and took it back to Steven's Marine or one of the locations and had it beefed up. It has been a good boat overall. He outfitted it with a 40 hp Merc, pop up blind and has worked out for his duck hunting and fishing needs. I would look around for a slightly used one in the same specs as you may get a great price. Look from Portland to Bellingham and possibly the potholes area. Could save you $5-$8k dollars.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby Tool-Man » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:51 pm

somethinsmellsfishy wrote:

What's your budget?

I have a(2006) Lowe L1648Mt with a (98) 40 horse evinrude with a pump (28 @ pump), twelve gal aluminum fuel tank forward, Avery quick set blind w GPS,Fishfinder, bilge, LED bow lights.

Any thoughts here would be appreciated as I know that others have gone here many,many times before.....

Fishy

Keep me in mind when you are ready to sell the 1648? :thumbsup:
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Join WWA to save the sport. Ask me about it. http://www.waduck.org
Tool-Man
hunter

Postby somethinsmellsfishy » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:29 am

Tool-Man wrote:
somethinsmellsfishy wrote:

What's your budget?

Fishy

Keep me in mind when you are ready to sell the 1648? :thumbsup:

Sure thing...

Fishy
somethinsmellsfishy
hunter

Postby somethinsmellsfishy » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:36 am

h2ofowlr wrote:

One of the guys I used to hunt with at my old location has one of these. He broke many of the welds in the front end and took it back to Steven's Marine or one of the locations and had it beefed up. It has been a good boat overall. He outfitted it with a 40 hp Merc, pop up blind and has worked out for his duck hunting and fishing needs. I would look around for a slightly used one in the same specs as you may get a great price. Look from Portland to Bellingham and possibly the potholes area. Could save you $5-$8k dollars.

So what I'm hearing is that there have been problems with the welds, even though they seem to be an okay boat.

One of the reasons why I asked online here is so I can hear what others have experienced, I have severeral boats and have been around long enough to know that I want quality without getting raped for it. If it means the difference between a couple of thousand dollars to get something I will want to keep for the rest of my life, I am in.

I am not sold on these and will look at all boats that I think will fit the bill. I have looked at Alumaweld,Willy,Koffler,North River,Wooldridge,G3,Weldcraft, War Eagle,Gregor,Alumacraft,etc,etc.

Fishy
somethinsmellsfishy
hunter

Postby Tuxedocoot » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:58 am

Pro Staff = Your someone's "B" for their profit, Sucker fish
Tuxedocoot
hunter

Postby Squirts dad » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:27 pm

I have a couple Hewescrafts, one riveted 1985 and one welded 1994. The riveted one has had a hard life and has always leaked some. The welded one has been pounded hard at the lake and off the coast halibut fishing and still doesn't leak. I would buy the same boat again and if I ever sell it my fishing pal would buy it.
Squirts dad
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:43 pm

Having been around boats all my life I will say this once. No riveted boats. Ever! They always leaks. It may be immediate, and it may be down the road but it will happen. If you plan to run in big water spend all the money you can afford to and get a heavier and much tougher hull. If you just plan to stay in smaller rivers and such look at lighter walled boats that are welded. I would reccomend taking a serious look at Kalamath and Gregor boats. I know a few guys who run them and have beat on them for years with no ill effects on the boats.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby somethinsmellsfishy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:21 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:Having been around boats all my life I will say this once. No riveted boats. Ever! They always leaks. It may be immediate, and it may be down the road but it will happen. If you plan to run in big water spend all the money you can afford to and get a heavier and much tougher hull. If you just plan to stay in smaller rivers and such look at lighter walled boats that are welded. I would reccomend taking a serious look at Kalamath and Gregor boats. I know a few guys who run them and have beat on them for years with no ill effects on the boats.

Thanks, I have been looking hard and appreciate all of the advice and experience listed here. Deciding which way to go is a problem, some do this well and are worth this much, while others do this well and are overpriced! I am sure you guys know the drill........

To be continued.

Fishy
somethinsmellsfishy
hunter

Postby B_Squared » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:34 pm

I think riveted boats have their place. They are light and, if 14' and under, can be tossed up on a truck rack. Same thing with 2-stroke motors. They are lighter by far than the 4-strokes. If you are trailering the boat, I would go welded. My 16' Crestliner has been a pretty good boat over the past 6 years. I will admit it hasn't seen enough use. I plan to change that :smile:
B_Squared
hunter

Postby somethinsmellsfishy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:05 am

B_Squared wrote:I think riveted boats have their place. They are light and, if 14' and under, can be tossed up on a truck rack. Same thing with 2-stroke motors. They are lighter by far than the 4-strokes. If you are trailering the boat, I would go welded. My 16' Crestliner has been a pretty good boat over the past 6 years. I will admit it hasn't seen enough use. I plan to change that :smile:

The boats I am looking at are way to big to use without a trailer. I have looked at the Super V's, Wooldridge's, Willy's, etc,etc. Were I younger and still had the Steelie bug like I did when I was younger I would buy a Super v cause I would be out fishing every chance I got, but it seems that I will duck hunt when its nasty out but have become more of a comfort creature when it comes to fishing..

So far it has been an interesting process and has really opened my eyes as to how these different manufacturers work. Some stick with their tried and true while others continue to innovate.

The search continues.....

Fishy
somethinsmellsfishy
hunter

Postby somethinsmellsfishy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:14 am

Anyone here own a River Wile sled?

They seem on the cutting edge and have some pretty interesting options.

Fishy
somethinsmellsfishy
hunter

Postby steelheadslayer » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:00 pm

I looked at the Sportsman Series and thought the layout and room were perfect for a combo fish/hunt boat. Then I heard about the welds, not an issue I wanted to deal with. After talking to many dealers and others who own different boats I decided on a 20' Super Vee. Granted, it's hard to hide for hunting at times but sure is nice to ride in in crappy weather. I've heard good things about River Wild and the pricepoint is not bad either. The reason I went with the Super Vee was availability. RB boats is what I wanted but he was out 10 months. I just couldn't wait that long. I went to Three Rivers in Woodinville and that is where I would suggest anybody buying a new boat go through if they have the make and model you want. Their finish work is hands down better than anybodies.
"Opinions are like elbows, everyone seems to have a couple of em."-Phil Roberston
steelheadslayer
hunter

Postby somethinsmellsfishy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:01 pm

steelheadslayer wrote:I looked at the Sportsman Series and thought the layout and room were perfect for a combo fish/hunt boat. Then I heard about the welds, not an issue I wanted to deal with. After talking to many dealers and others who own different boats I decided on a 20' Super Vee. Granted, it's hard to hide for hunting at times but sure is nice to ride in in crappy weather. I've heard good things about River Wild and the pricepoint is not bad either. The reason I went with the Super Vee was availability. RB boats is what I wanted but he was out 10 months. I just couldn't wait that long. I to Three Rivers in Woodinville and that is where I would suggest anybody buying a new boat go through if they have the make and model you want. Their finish work is hands down better than anybodies.

I have gone to Three Rivers everytime I was in the market for a boat, this is the first time I have been treated professionally. On both of my previous purchases I was not treated well so I went to other dealers on both purchases and was treated very well.
I will give kudos to Rhienhold @ three rivers for taking the time and giving me the information,specs and options pricing that I asked for this time without all of the "used car" salesman games. If I buy an alumaweld I will definetely speak with Rhienhold again.

My 2 $

Fishy
somethinsmellsfishy
hunter

Postby mtndewtime » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:24 pm

I have had my smoker craft 1860 with no problems. Owned it 4 years now no leaks. Have a Yamaha 4 stroke 30 hp pump. Get up and down rivers no problem. Gets tough with 3 guys, dogs and dekes though. Not much freeboard either. Tough on potholes when wind picks up. But for the money it has been worth it. Paint job sucks but I'm told painted aluminum never lasts. Also had an Avery blind on it with the caveman bamboo grass, too much weight for 30hp pump.

Perks are tons of room. Just go bigger for motor than 30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mtndewtime
hunter

Postby mtndewtime » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:24 pm

Cabela's bamboo grass

mtndewtime
hunter

Postby mtndewtime » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:27 pm

Another thing.... Folks at Wooldridge are first class, honest people. If you can afford it, I'd go meet with Grant or Glenn and have them build you want you want. Bought my SS Pilothouse from them and had mods and work done from time to time. Always easy to deal with.

mtndewtime
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting