Bella's Harli Delight

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr, washingtonmuley

Bella's Harli Delight

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:01 am

Harli Small - Rotated.jpg

I ran north and spent the weekend pre Brant season scouting with Bknilvr and Cougar 125. The weekend included a serious lack of sleep, a lot of birds seen and worked, a lot of groups that were decoying well busted out by skybusters, and a ton of fun had by everyone. Saturday was a good day. It was mainly a widgeon show with a sprinkling of pinners and teal working the decoys. Sunday morning was a puddler bust with a run to the coast for sea ducks in the mid morning. One of the best parts was seeing Pacific Brant on the beach right where we were hunting. We saw a pair a couple of times and a single on Sunday morning. Bella and I put the stalk on the single and I had him in easy shooting range. I watched it for a bit then headed back to the blind to hunt some more.

We were on the water for less than 2 hours at the coast and had a great time working a mix of harlies, all three scoter species, and a ton of buffies. We even saw a few groups of Old Squaw working one end of the area we covered. Plans are afoot for some layout boat hunting over those Old Squaw and Scoter come the end of January.

The guys were great, we had a fun time chatting and catching up on life in the blind and at Bknilvr's place. His wife is really nice and fun to chat with. I met Cougar125 for the first time for our Sunday hunt. We ran into into Lostfish at the ramp on Saturday and chatted with him for a while as well. Bella made her first two sea duck retrieves on Sunday. We had to make her jump out of the boat. Murphy ( Bknilver's pup ) on the other hand we had to short leash to keep him in the boat. If a gun went off he was launching no matter what!

Murphy is a great dog and has insane drive. Friday night Bella made Murphy her Beotch. She played with him until he was flat wore out. To make sure he knew who was the boss she dry humped him a few times just to show him who was in charge. Kiki the Doberman on the other hand was having none of it and made sure Bella knew who was who in the house. By the end of the weekend the dogs were all getting along and peace was restored. Bknilver and I worked some bartering to make a good deal for both of us. I traded my J Weight mold for really nice 3 lb longline weights he had made up. I had been looking at how to make some lighter weights for quiet backwater areas, and slower current areas I hunt. Mitch needed the J Weight mold to cast up a bunch for his decoy spread.

I am looking forward to my trip north at the end of season. Hopefully we get some calm weather so we can get in a few layout hunts on the salt.
Last edited by ScaupHunter on Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Re: Bella's Harli Delight

Postby h2ofowlr » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:27 pm

Congrats! Sounds like you had a good visit with a fun hunt.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby bknilvr00 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:25 pm

You forgot to mention that you were there for a spot to be declared dead. Which was frustrating. I felt bad because I had been talking it up for ever trying to get you up here to experience it, then when it finally works out every Tom, ****, and duck sniping Larry hunt the same spot. Luckily cougar came through with the sea ducks. And I played chauffeur. After you left my pup was sleeping with one eye open. He wasn't entirely convinced that crazy chocolate was really gone.... I'm glad it was worth it for you. It's just getting the score evened up for getting me on some stellar hunts last year.

Sent from my space modulator.
bknilvr00
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:39 pm

I really appreciate the invite and the hunts. We had a blast ( pun intended ) on Saturday watching 5 wankers skyblast out of your blind. I meant it when I said you should run out there one afternoon and toss the drift wood and other natural materials in the channel on an outgoing tide. Let the guys build their own blind instead of enjoying the delux one you guys built. That is part of why hunting public land can be tough. Once folks find out where you are killing birds they have the right to beat you to the spot. That doesn't mean you have to allow them to use what you built. Just run out and remove it one afternoon when no one is there.

We shot our share of widgeon and had fun working the dogs Saturday. We managed to pull Sunday out of the skunk zone with one Widgeon and some sea ducks. Our mistake was not sleeping in Sunday morning and just running out to the coast. I really enjoyed the trip.

I totally believe that Murphy is still sleeping with one eye open. A chocolate female is the dog version of a crazy redhead. :lol3: You might want to put him on an increased exercise regimen before we come back up to kill some more ducks in a few weeks. That way he will stand a chance of holding up under the relentless lets play Bella barrage.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:23 pm

I learned that lesson long ago. If you build it, they will come. Then it's a rat race to get to your blind and when your not their, someone else will hunt it. Then it become the main go to spot if it's a nice one and the spot get's shot out. Spend the time to create a blind you can take with you like final approach type blinds or 30' of burlap with post in it, grass it out with zip ties and place it in the morning an pull it when done. Rolls up nicely. You can use other materials or camo as well.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby bknilvr00 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:44 pm

h2ofowlr wrote:I learned that lesson long ago. If you build it, they will come. Then it's a rat race to get to your blind and when your not their, someone else will hunt it. Then it become the main go to spot if it's a nice one and the spot get's shot out. Spend the time to create a blind you can take with you like final approach type blinds or 30' of burlap with post in it, grass it out with zip ties and place it in the morning an pull it when done. Rolls up nicely. You can use other materials or camo as well.

You pretty well hit the nail on the head. With Christmas right around the bend a layout blind is going on my Christmas list.
bknilvr00
hunter

Postby wetside » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:21 pm

nice birds, but a lot of background in that pic.
Just sayin....
wetside
hunter

Postby East Side Hunter » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:55 pm

wetside wrote:nice birds, but a lot of background in that pic.
Just sayin....

So you shot them two. Are you going to do the proper thing and eat them. Or trophy hunting?
East Side Hunter
hunter

Postby bknilvr00 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:05 pm

East Side Hunter wrote:
Just sayin....

So you shot them two. Are you going to do the proper thing and eat them. Or trophy hunting?

I've seen all your posts tday. What is your deal? Your not gna last very long acting like your s**t don't stink.
bknilvr00
hunter

Postby Tealer » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:50 pm

bknilvr00 wrote:
East Side Hunter wrote:
Just sayin....

I've seen all your posts tday. What is your deal? Your not gna last very long acting like your s**t don't stink.

Same guy that keeps getting banned.

Nice work Scaup.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby bknilvr00 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:23 pm

Tealer wrote:
bknilvr00 wrote:
East Side Hunter wrote:
Just sayin....

Same guy that keeps getting banned.

Nice work Scaup.

Aha, that explains it.

bknilvr00
hunter

Postby Lost Fish » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:29 pm

Was good to meet you guys at the ramp! Would have been nice if you all would have made it out at the regular time so that you could have pushed the busters out. If it make you feel any better they were there on Sunday too doing the same thing. Had reports from a few others that got to enjoy their company!

Hope to see you in January
Reb
Fish, Hunt, Coffee, and Beer! What more does a guy need!!!
NW WWA Best Parking Space
Retired Marine, Now living off the Goverment (Wife's) Tit!!!
Lost Fish
hunter

Postby AnonymousDuck » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:36 pm

Very Nice, congratz! :thumbsup:
Nothing Runs Like a Lab...
SD/SHR, DixieBrit's Waterdog "Dream" Come True.
Member: Combat Veterans Waterfowl Association.

XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Postby AnonymousDuck » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:38 pm

East Side Hunter wrote:
Just sayin....

Is it political incorrect now to take certain birds for trophy mounts? WOW!
Nothing Runs Like a Lab...
SD/SHR, DixieBrit's Waterdog "Dream" Come True.
Member: Combat Veterans Waterfowl Association.

XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Postby COYOTE JLR » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:35 pm

AnonymousDuck wrote:
East Side Hunter wrote:
Just sayin....

Is it political incorrect now to take certain birds for trophy mounts? WOW!

Yeah, it's a shame that some animal might be entirely wasted by being sent to a taxidermist and supporting his livelihood. :sarcmark:

On topic though, those are some beautiful birds and a beautiful dog. Congrats on the hunt.
COYOTE JLR
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:49 pm

Glad I could come through on the sea ducks for you. Living here sure can help. When you come back up I'll try and get a day off midweek so we can get out and shoot some more in the layouts...and Scaup...I can't wait to see the dekes we talked about.

Mitch, we need to get out there mid week sometime and reclaim your materials. Next year we can do layouts if I'm here...in fact...that may not be a bad idea either for other hunts this year.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:24 pm

Nice job fellas, sounds and looks like you had a good time!
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby Cougar125 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:36 pm

brokerbyduck wrote:Nice job fellas, sounds and looks like you had a good time!

The only thing that could have made it better would have been if we had Flight of the Valkyries playing.
Cougar125
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:52 pm

BigChunter wrote:
Cougar125 wrote: Next year we can do layouts if I'm here...

where the hell you goin?

Deployment.

Sent from my flux capacitor.
Cougar125
hunter

Postby Lost Fish » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:23 am

Cougar125 wrote:Mitch, we need to get out there mid week sometime and reclaim your materials. Next year we can do layouts if I'm here...in fact...that may not be a bad idea either for other hunts this year.

Hey now you are talking crazy! I know you guys use that one on the weekends but I enjoy it on the weekdays. Besides I added a floor mat to it. :lol3: So if you pull it could I get that back... Had to walk all over the beach to pick up my crappy shot bird to find that one! :beer:
Reb
Fish, Hunt, Coffee, and Beer! What more does a guy need!!!
NW WWA Best Parking Space
Retired Marine, Now living off the Goverment (Wife's) Tit!!!
Lost Fish
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:25 am

Cougar125 wrote:
brokerbyduck wrote:Nice job fellas, sounds and looks like you had a good time!

The only thing that could have made it better would have been if we had Flight of the Valkyries playing.

There is an idea. Huey's with blaring music and full auto machine gun duck hunting. I love the smell of Napalm in the morning! :thumbsup:

That would be the single most epic duck hunt ever! :lol3:
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:27 am

East Side Hunter wrote:
Just sayin....

Total trophy hunt for mounts. I love it when the woman brings her liberal friends over and they see the dead animals around the house. It makes it better when I explain I didn't eat them at all. The looks of horror on their faces are priceless. :beer:
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby WetlandWarrior » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:30 pm

I lost a Harli and a Barrows to a freezer break down 2 years ago really bummed me out.

I didn't eat these.

IMG00059.jpg
WetlandWarrior
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:57 pm

WetlandWarrior wrote:I lost a Harli and a Barrows to a freezer break down 2 years ago really bummed me out.

I didn't eat these.

IMG00059.jpg

:lol: Nice, that one is sporting a long tail! Forgive me but Old Squaws are probably my favorite duck.
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Return to Washington Duck Hunting