Sea ducks

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

Sea ducks

Postby East Side Hunter » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:46 pm

I see a lot of sea ducks post. I have heard they don't taste very good? The 509 ducks and geese are good tasting. As long as they are not black and white. Except geese.
East Side Hunter
hunter

Re: Sea ducks

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:00 pm

Marinate in orange juice overnight. Marinate in Worcesteshire and steak seasoning for 12 to 24 hours. Cook medium rare.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby East Side Hunter » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:07 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:Marinate in orange juice overnight. Marinate in Worcesteshire and steak seasoning for 12 to 24 hours. Cook medium rare.

So you are saying, You need to mask the sea duck taste. Doesn't look like I missed anything all my life. So is the harli just for the wall. Do you eat them?
Last edited by East Side Hunter on Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
East Side Hunter
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:15 pm

I am saying that all ducks are gamey. This particular recipe makes them taste like steak. The Orange juice tenderizes the meat nicely. The Worcesteshire and steak seasoning are no different on duck than on steak, or a marinade for chicken. Everyone tells me how Scaup taste terrible. Put them in a pile of puddler breasts and cook them up for some friends. Once they are done eating ask them if they could taste anything different. No one will be able to tell you which was which. It helps if you don't over cook them which many people do, then complain about the taste.

A few experienced guys on here might pick out the sea ducks from the rest. Most of them are just blathering and repeating crap they have heard from other people.

One thing I learned about DHC and the Washington forum in particular is that there are a ton of young guys who think they know everything, who really don't know crap about anything. :lol3:

Now mind there are a lot of great folks on here and a lot of knowledge as well. You have to pick and choose what to believe and who's word to take on things for yourself.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby East Side Hunter » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:19 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:I am saying that all ducks are gamey. This particular recipe makes them taste like steak. The Orange juice tenderizes the meat nicely. The Worcesteshire and steak seasoning are no different on duck than on steak, or a marinade for chicken. Everyone tells me how Scaup taste terrible. Put them in a pile of puddler breasts and cook them up for some friends. Once they are done eating ask them if they could taste anything different. No one will be able to tell you which was which. It helps if you don't over cook them which many people do, then complain about the taste.

A few experienced guys on here might pick out the sea ducks from the rest. Most of them are just blathering and repeating crap they have heard from other people.

One thing I learned about DHC and the Washington forum in particular is that there are a ton of young guys who think they know everything, who really don't know crap about anything. :lol3:

Now mind there are a lot of great folks on here and a lot of knowledge as well. You have to pick and choose what to believe and who's word to take on things for yourself.

Good post. Great post. But seems a lot of military know it all's here. So I guess the old time Wa. hunters are the people to listen to ?
East Side Hunter
hunter

Postby washingtonmuley » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:31 pm

Good post. Great post. But seems a lot of military know it all's here. So I guess the old time Wa. hunters are the people to listen to ?[/quote]
:huh:
With that comment then I would say that you are the same old poster under a different name. You scammed into any veteran's hunts lately?
washingtonmuley
State Moderator

Postby East Side Hunter » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:32 pm

hunted with a guy 82 this weekend. He said the circles have killed upland. But good for geese.
East Side Hunter
hunter

Postby East Side Hunter » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:15 pm

washingtonmuley wrote:Good post. Great post. But seems a lot of military know it all's here. So I guess the old time Wa. hunters are the people to listen to ?

:huh:
With that comment then I would say that you are the same old poster under a different name. You scammed into any veteran's hunts lately?[/quote]

So i'm that guy. funny, No. But I guess I should just lurk and looks other places. It is Funny a new person gets crap for being someone there not. I have been here since last May watching. Every new person gets blamed being him. Do I have to join a club to be here?

Washintonmuley. Never been military or or scammed one. Only a hunter looking to open up some prospects. I moved here for the fun of it. I heard good hunting here. I don't work or have to. Just hunt.
East Side Hunter
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:35 pm

East Side Hunter wrote:
ScaupHunter wrote:I am saying that all ducks are gamey. This particular recipe makes them taste like steak. The Orange juice tenderizes the meat nicely. The Worcesteshire and steak seasoning are no different on duck than on steak, or a marinade for chicken. Everyone tells me how Scaup taste terrible. Put them in a pile of puddler breasts and cook them up for some friends. Once they are done eating ask them if they could taste anything different. No one will be able to tell you which was which. It helps if you don't over cook them which many people do, then complain about the taste.

Good post. Great post. But seems a lot of military know it all's here. So I guess the old time Wa. hunters are the people to listen to ?

Not necessarily. As a former military man, and an all around know it all you might not want to listen to me......... :beer: Then again I got to know a few things with over 35 years of hunting a lot of different game under my belt. Some of the young guys are great and know their way around a blind and a shotgun. Others toss a lot of words with nothing to support it. Very typical for younger guys.

I for one welcome everyone to DHC and look forward to hunting with a bunch of young and olds guys from DHC every year. The hunter that put me up for the weekend was new to the sport last year. He came out, learned a lot about hunting, and killed a ton of birds. He then promptly took everything he learned, found his own spots, and is killing a ton of birds by applying what he learned with me to his area. Another guy who is a "military know it all" that he hunts with regularly is the guy who put us on the sea ducks. We drove up to his first spot and a bull Harli in shotgun range when we stepped out of the rig. There were Scoters all over the place as well. His next spot held Old Squaw.

Like I said you have to take everything with a grain of salt at first and watch and learn who to listen to and what to believe.

If you have never experienced hunting trophy sea ducks on the salt you definitely need to try it. Yesterday's sea duck hunt was one of the best hunts I have ever been on. Being on the salt is always special no matter when or why. Gettting to hunt a couple new species of ducks made it better. Hunting with an old hunting buddy and making a new one made it and awesome day.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby East Side Hunter » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:21 pm

Never been on salt up this way. But the geese on and around Tri Cities is a good deal 1 goose = 7 ducks and by the looks 10 sea ducks. Plus there are some that say they are bad and some say mask them. I think potholes and Tri Cities is good enough. After all I spent 2 months last year shooting king eiders on the Chain
East Side Hunter
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:31 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:Not necessarily. As a former military man, and an all around know it all you might not want to listen to me......... :beer:
SNIP
Another guy who is a "military know it all" that he hunts with regularly is the guy who put us on the sea ducks.
SNIP

Scaup, you might know it all, but you sure as hell can't remember it all the time. ;)

I didn't realize I was a know it all. I must've forgotten that part. :beer:
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby duckhntr42 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:03 am

when i was stationed in maine i shot a ton of seaducks. eiders, all three scoters, and oldsquaw. all tasted the same to me. like crap without an overnight soak in buttermilk, pretty good after the buttermilk and some seasonings. always surprised me how dumb seaducks can be compared to the puddlers.
duckhntr42
hunter

Postby somethinsmellsfishy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:49 pm

BigChunter wrote:

Classic! I may have found my next sig line...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clapping: :beer:

Fishy
somethinsmellsfishy
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting