where are all the ducks?

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, h2ofowlr, brokerbyduck

where are all the ducks?

Postby robertii4422 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:48 am

I have been out at least 2 day a week for the last month and it seams all the birds are getting fewer and fewer was out yesterday for almost the whole day and saw four birds. down here in SW Washington, Vancouver area. I have yet to see any pintail, no new ducks of any kind :huh:
robertii4422
hunter

Re: where are all the ducks?

Postby whtelk » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:24 am

I live in the mid Willamette valley in Oregon. We had a huge push of new birds during the snow and ice we had. Seems those may have moved South so send any you have down. I will have all of next week off from work so I will try to bump some back to you.
whtelk
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:26 am

I did my after hunt scouting drive yesterday and covered about 140 miles. Lots of birds in the salt and various fields from Standwood to Birch Bay. Unfortunately most were just sitting. Huge rafts in the salt will need some more weather to get them bouncing around. They do fly inland at closing time and head back out to the salt for the most part when they get bumped by the O'dark 30 crowd. If this storm front hits, Friday may be a good sick day. :thumbsup:
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:43 am

The freezing weather concentrated the birds. Once it thawed out they spread back out to all the various protected shallow water areas they love so much. We have been steadily killing birds and will be shooting over larger and larger groups every weekend until season ends.

Time to get out and scout. You may have a drive an hour or two to find big groups of birds. If you are hunting the usual haunts around Vancouver, you are wasting your time in this weather pattern.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Snowgoose1 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:59 am

Tons of birds Everett to the Bellingham. They sit on the bay come in during the evening to feed with the clear sky and moon out. We need good weather to get a little sheet water going and with some wind they can't stay on the bay too long. Save your days off for that situation and all will be good. If you find birds working a field go in early set up and hope for the come backs, thats how to do it with this weather. Remember if there is no wind the sound doesn't change much in temp summer to winter so they hang out in the salt when it's cold inland.
Snowgoose1
hunter

Postby pdh » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:30 pm

Drove through Othello @ 9:00 am last weekend did not see 1 duck or goose :crying:
hunter
pdh
hunter

Postby bluebiller » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:06 pm

:huh: I don't get it? :mad:
Figured it would be great today with the snow run followed by rain at Cherry Valley. Saw a total of 11 (2-6-3) ducks in the 1st 2 hours, then called it quits. About 5 other hunting parties were there. All looked just about as insane as me.
Drive there was a little treacherous, but manageable. Novelty road was closed down, heard on the radio going home. Also mentioned was the fact that if you didn't have to go to work (or shopping) today, advice was to stay home! Ha! Ha .......
bluebiller

"decoyless, pass, jump, and sneak hunting ..... falling to earth and getting your face dirty"
bluebiller
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:11 pm

Hunting with buddies tomorrow. The sled is being picked up and a test run / hunt will happen Sunday, and another monday. I am expecting easy limits all three days. Once I know the boat is good to go, I have a few folks I promised to take hunting that will get calls.

Scout, Scout, and Scout are the answers to killing birds. There are plenty of them around. You just have to find them.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby washingtonmuley » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:10 pm

Lots of birds on the portion of the river I hunted. We had 4 person limits all three days.
washingtonmuley
State Moderator

Postby star882 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:23 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:Hunting with buddies tomorrow. The sled is being picked up and a test run / hunt will happen Sunday, and another monday. I am expecting easy limits all three days. Once I know the boat is good to go, I have a few folks I promised to take hunting that will get calls.

Scout, Scout, and Scout are the answers to killing birds. There are plenty of them around. You just have to find them.

Glad to hear you got the boat up and going again. I hope all goes well with everything.
star882
hunter

Postby COYOTE JLR » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:52 pm

I've barely seen anything my last two hunts. Almost nothing flying at all, which has been very disappointing. Hopefully we'll get some more pushing this way soon, but, so far, this season has been a bad one for number of ducks seen. The only bright spot in all of this is that I've seen far more mallards than I did last year, but that's balanced out by an almost total lack of wigeon and pintail.
COYOTE JLR
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:37 pm

COYOTE JLR wrote:I've barely seen anything my last two hunts. Almost nothing flying at all, which has been very disappointing. Hopefully we'll get some more pushing this way soon, but, so far, this season has been a bad one for number of ducks seen. The only bright spot in all of this is that I've seen far more mallards than I did last year, but that's balanced out by an almost total lack of wigeon and pintail.

You may want to venture a little bit further in the area you live if you haven't been seeing much. They are there! Or change the location you have been hunting, until they show up. If you find a marsh, there are no guarantees that the birds will come to you. I go to them or hunt high traffic areas and try to entice them with my set up. If your hunting a bad area, your hunting on luck. When your hunting an area where there are lots of birds and they are not committing, you need to change something up, move, better concealment or get away from everyone else if possible. :thumbsup:
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby Tealer » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:53 pm

It's been excellent. All over the state. I get a pile of texts everyday.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby COYOTE JLR » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:43 am

h2ofowlr wrote:
COYOTE JLR wrote:I've barely seen anything my last two hunts. Almost nothing flying at all, which has been very disappointing. Hopefully we'll get some more pushing this way soon, but, so far, this season has been a bad one for number of ducks seen. The only bright spot in all of this is that I've seen far more mallards than I did last year, but that's balanced out by an almost total lack of wigeon and pintail.

You may want to venture a little bit further in the area you live if you haven't been seeing much. They are there! Or change the location you have been hunting, until they show up. If you find a marsh, there are no guarantees that the birds will come to you. I go to them or hunt high traffic areas and try to entice them with my set up. If your hunting a bad area, your hunting on luck. When your hunting an area where there are lots of birds and they are not committing, you need to change something up, move, better concealment or get away from everyone else if possible. :thumbsup:

Thank you for the advice. I've been moving around hitting different spots. The spots that we've been hitting have almost all been private land that, historically at least, have been exactly where the ducks want to be. We had one good hunt the week before last where we almost limited on mallards, but after the first hour of light, even on that hunt, everything had disappeared and stopped flying almost entirely.

The hunt yesterday was within easy viewing of the river, which is the major flyway for my area, and in total I saw maybe 40 or 45 ducks in a 5 hour period. 3 dozen of those that I saw were a result of some long slogging down into wooded ponds and sloughs. We tried setting up where the ducks had been for a while, but there was nothing flying to see. Three weeks ago or so, I saw a decent push of birds come through, but they seem to have mostly moved off without much more coming in to take their place. :help:

It's just been odd. There are ducks around, but not a whole lot, and they've all been really hunkered down. A boat I think would help me considerably, but for the time being I've got to do everything on foot. I've got a buddy who is going to take me to one of his spots on the coast today, hopefully that will be a bit more productive.
COYOTE JLR
hunter

Postby Major Jack » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:01 pm

Ducks and geese - Zero this morning in Yakima Valley. Ponds frozen up with very few birds on the river.
Major Jack
Newb

Return to Washington Duck Hunting