wind and weather

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, brokerbyduck, washingtonmuley, h2ofowlr

wind and weather

Postby star882 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:42 pm

I want to go out in a local bay tomorrow up north and I am trying to find a good site to watch the wind and weather to see if I should even try it. I have an 18' deep V Alumaweld. What is to bad of weather? I have read older posts and have seen a lot of people say nothing over about 6mph on wind.
star882
hunter

Re: wind and weather

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:26 pm

an 18 foot open sled like you are describing can handle a lot more than 6mph winds. I would look at expected winds and pay attention to expected gusts along with wind direction, then toss in tide conditions. Wind blowing against a hard tide is a lot worse than wind blowing with a tide for wave conditions. Also account for river flow influence in your thoughts if your running in and out on one. They tend to concentrate the currents and can kick up waves where they enter the bay.

Another thing to think about is location of the ramp in relation to protected areas, length of run, and changing water conditions where you will be running. I will drive a long ways out of my way to get to a spot where I can run in more protected conditions in the boat. A road drive is a lot less bumpy than a rough boat ride. The birds tend to be grouped up in protected areas a lot of the time as well.
Last edited by ScaupHunter on Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Squirts dad » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:12 pm

This is the website I check weather on-
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/fin ... uery=97058

Just type a different location at the top.
Squirts dad
hunter

Postby somethinsmellsfishy » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:46 pm

somethinsmellsfishy
hunter

Postby star882 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:19 pm

Thanks everyone for the sites and info. I have a couple apps i usually use for tides and weather but they are pretty poor when i comes to wind speed.
star882
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting