What a Christmas

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, h2ofowlr, brokerbyduck

What a Christmas

Postby #1NWoutdoorsman » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:31 pm

Just moved to Washington from Wisconsin. To be honest I was worried about the hunting and fishing in this area and let me tell you my first experience was a duzey. If this is any idication of what you ole boys get to experience out here every year than I am in for one heck of a treat. I'm moving out here to start a dog training business. It's real popular in the midwest but wasn't sure if you guys even had anyone out here doing that sort of stuff. My wife got a great job in Seattle and we have a small place outside of Ephrata so I got the luxury of just relaxing and doing some outdoorsman stuff. As it turns out, I wish i had my dog today, he could have came in handy.

I decided I was going to do a little ice fishing today on Evergreen Reservoir. I always bring my gun along just in case. Many of deer, Pheasant, ducks, coyotes and even 1 wolverine have been bagged by me on the way to do something else. Today was no different. Got to the launch about 1/2 hour before sunrise and I could hear the canadians. Got my gun and walked over the ridge and thousands of them near some open water just out past the little island down from the launch. Snuck out there and before sunrise I had me 4 canadian geese. Truth be told I Arkansas'd the first two. Tell me that aint awesome. I wasn't even planning on hunting.

I go ice fishing as I hear there are Musky and all I am catching are these tiny perch. So being from Wisconsin I do what we all do in the midwest and I whipped out the tip ups. Hooked a couple of those perch and set them up along the shoreline. What an idea that turned out to be. About noon, I look over and both tips up had gone off. By miracle I was able to land 2 muskies. Not monster muskies like I am used to but good eaters. One was probably 32" the other was around 29" I think.

Mid morning I got one nice eater walleye about 14". Around 2 PM the Geese started moving near me as I hear shots. Not easy shooting geese from ice but I was able to wound a couple. This is where the dog would have came in nicely. Geese were up above the shoreline and decided the ice was too weak on that shoreline so I said to hell with it.

Fished til about an hour before dark and on the way back up to the launch, I'll be damned the Canadians were back in that open water. It was a ways off but I emptied my gun and knocked down 3 more honkers. I found two of them, cussed myself again for not having the dog with me. Hot damn boys you have an Outdoorsman Mecca in these parts. 6 canadian geese, 2 muskies, 1 smallish walleye and a few 8" perch went home with me today. If anyone lives in the Ephrata area and want some geese meat let me know. I only need a few wings to help train the dogs.

I almost added to it as I saw a rooster on the way out and was going to get out and go for the Grand Slam but I wasn't sure on the regs. Hell I haven't even had time to read the regs as we just got here. But I know in places like South Dakota they get all fussy about their damn pheasants. So I wasn't looking to ruffle anyones feathers, no pun intended.

Looking forward to learning from all you guys out here. Is there any meetings where you guys discuss good Elk hunting spots. I have always wanted one of those up on my wall. Do they taste like whitetail? if so I just want the mount. Yuck on the bucks and ducks. Make good jerkey I guess.

I hope you guys all had as good of a Christmas as I had. Wife had to work but i can't say I was all that saddened. Just awesome. Have a happy new years guys and if you see me out there be sure to look me up. Also, if somebody can tell me how to post a pic I will be sure to put it up for everyone to enjoy.

Take care.
#1NWoutdoorsman
Newb

Re: What a Christmas

Postby billsarima » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:39 pm

:welcome:
Don't say a word about my dog being fat other wise you can fetch your own duck!!!
billsarima
hunter

Postby aaronoto » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:17 pm

:welcome:

You might want to start by reading the regs though. Bag limit on geese is only 4… Muskie limit is only 1 and it must be over 50"… And I hope you under-estimated your Walleye as they've gotta be over 16"… Washington has some real convoluted regs, you really need to study them.
Last edited by aaronoto on Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
aaronoto
hunter

Postby chester870 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:17 pm

6 Canadian Geese? Thought we had a 4 goose daily limit.
chester870
hunter

Postby chester870 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:20 pm

6 geese taken plus 3 down and not recovered? Not good my friend, not good. :fingerpt:
chester870
hunter

Postby mrwabobcat » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:20 pm

I think he is pulling our pee pees
mrwabobcat
hunter

Postby chester870 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:23 pm

mrwabobcat wrote:I think he is pulling our pee pees

Must be. Someone has way too much time on their hands. That story was 10 paragraphs long.
chester870
hunter

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:07 pm

: Never saw a self incrimination first post ... "Classic" :no:
: Waterfowl Junkie & Host of "Pacific Flyway Radio"

Ragged Outdoors Pro Staff Drinking Team
Killians Irish Red Pro Staff Drinking Team
Famous Dave's BBQ Rib Tip Platter Phat Boy Team
BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby eburgsnake » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:16 pm

Troll
waterfowlman wrote:A game hog.......... is a game hog........is a game hog.
Folies will soon be appearing in a park holding waterfowl near you.
eburgsnake
hunter

Postby hammerinhonkers » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:01 am

Great first post. Welcome.
Brown=Down
hammerinhonkers
hunter

Postby hammerinhonkers » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:03 am

One thing doesn't make sense though. How did you know they were Canadians? Did they say "eh" a lot ?
Brown=Down
hammerinhonkers
hunter

Postby somethinsmellsfishy » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:20 pm

BigBlondeBirdDog wrote:: Never saw a self incrimination first post ... "Classic" :no:

Yep, officer Stedanko will love this one!

:lol: :yes:

Fishy
somethinsmellsfishy
hunter

Postby jgoetz » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:26 pm

I am calling BS on this post. On a serious note: Most people from WI don't eat muskies. Too bony to bother cleaning out. Due to the large amount of opportunity and a great love for the sport must fishermen in WI catch and release muskie.

Also Seattle to Ephrata is one heck of a long commute! Try again Brad!
Talk crap, get hit!
jgoetz
hunter

Postby hammerinhonkers » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:04 pm

Give the guy a break, he's just being honest
Brown=Down
hammerinhonkers
hunter

Postby Erie » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:28 pm

Do you just get drunk and decide your going to make up 5 different screen names and post up these fairy tale stories? I'd seriously love to know, as would many psychologist, what your thought process is.......if there is one.
WWA member
NRA lifetime member
DU member
Erie
hunter

Postby somethinsmellsfishy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:50 pm

jgoetz wrote:I am calling BS on this post. On a serious note: Most people from WI don't eat muskies. Too bony to bother cleaning out. Due to the large amount of opportunity and a great love for the sport must fishermen in WI catch and release muskie.

Also Seattle to Ephrata is one heck of a long commute! Try again Brad!

Pickling usually takes care of those little bones, muskie,northerns and bass can all be done this way.

Fishy
somethinsmellsfishy
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:35 am

Happy Birthday Skagit. Do you normally troll while you are ice fishing? I'd like to see a video of you pulling that off.
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Return to Washington Duck Hunting