new to duck hunting need help

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

new to duck hunting need help

Postby jscott7548 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:54 am

Hey guys im new to duck hunting and had a few questions.
1. What kind of shot shell is everyon useing?
2. What tags and lincense do i need(have big game from deer season)
3. What are kind of gear do i need (plan to hunt tricites area)
jscott7548
Newb

Re: new to duck hunting need help

Postby Tool-Man » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:11 am

1.) hours of discussion have been wasted on this topic. Short answer is buy some 3" steel #2 until you form an opinion of your own.

2.) Not to be a **** but there is good information in here. Spend some time and read it. You will be glad you did. http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01535/wdfw01535.pdf

3.) Best bet on gear at this point is to buy lots of gas and a good pair of Binos. Get out and scout. Look for birds, look for places to hunt birds... heck, even look for other hunters. Once you know where you are going, the gear will be more obvious.

And :welcome:
Last edited by Tool-Man on Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Join WWA to save the sport. Ask me about it. http://www.waduck.org
Tool-Man
hunter

Postby somethinsmellsfishy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:32 pm

Tool-Man wrote:1.) hours of discussion have been wasted on this topic. Short answer is buy some 3" steel #2 until you form an opinion of your own.

2.) Not to be a **** but there is good information in here. Spend some time and read it. You will be glad you did. http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01535/wdfw01535.pdf

3.) Best bet on gear at this point is to but lots of gas and a good pair of Binos. Get out and scout. Look for birds, look for places to hunt birds... heck, even look for other hunters. Once you know where you are going, the gear will be more obvious.

And :welcome:

:welcome:

and some very good advice from Tool Man

Fishy
somethinsmellsfishy
hunter

Postby jscott7548 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:54 pm

Thanks guys. I took a look at my hunting license and its a big game with a small game discount. Do i just need

a duck stamp or do i need to buy a small game. I also plan to try and hunt gease too will a duck stamp cover that to?

Sorry for all the dumb questions im just now getting inro hunting
jscott7548
Newb

Postby Major Jack » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:53 pm

Go to sporting goods store that sells licenses. They will tell you what you need. Get the Migratory Water foul book put out by WDFW. Contains shooting times, bag limits etc. This will help you stay legal.

Go huntin and have fun.
Major Jack
Newb

Postby somethinsmellsfishy » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:24 pm

jscott7548 wrote:Thanks guys. I took a look at my hunting license and its a big game with a small game discount. Do i just need

a duck stamp or do i need to buy a small game. I also plan to try and hunt gease too will a duck stamp cover that to?

Sorry for all the dumb questions im just now getting inro hunting

Washington state will prosecute you if you do not adhere to its laws! While I do not agree with some of the rules, running afoul of them can get you into big trouble and ignorance is NOT an excuse. Everyone that picks up a rod,gun or utilizes any of our natural resources needs to know the rules and do everything they can to not get into trouble.
It is incumbent upon you to educate yourself about those rules and regs, people will help but you need to do the leg work and the bulk of the work.

Good luck!

Fishy
somethinsmellsfishy
hunter

Postby Tealer » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:48 pm

Damn that tool man guy is kind of a tool.

Keep reading you will find the answers you seek.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby WetlandWarrior » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:38 pm

Go scout your area strike up conversations with the hunters you do meet. Search this forum there is a lot of great info on here that should help...Research...Research...Research. Pick up a reg pamphlet for all the license information. Look at the WDFW web site as well it has some info too.
WetlandWarrior
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting