Get Shot @ Port Susan?

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

Get Shot @ Port Susan?

Postby Lost Fish » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:27 pm

Did anyone here about the Duck Hunter that Got shot with a rifle off of Warm Beach on the 1st of January?

Everett Herald
Published: Thursday, January 2, 2014, 12:01 a.m.
EMAIL ARTICLE | PRINT | JUMP TO COMMENTS
Gunshot injures duck hunter near Warm Beach
By Diana Hefley, Herald Writer
STANWOOD -- A duck hunter was rushed to a local hospital with a gunshot wound Wednesday after being hit by gunfire while he was on a boat off Warm Beach.

The 47-year-old man and his brother reported that they were several hundred yards offshore when they heard a loud explosion. A bullet pierced the boat's hull. It struck a duck decoy and then hit the victim in the leg, Snohomish County sheriff's spokeswoman Shari Ireton said.

Investigators suspect that the shooter used a high-powered rifle given the distance and direction the bullet traveled, she said. Detectives expect to know more once the bullet is recovered and examined.

The shooting happened about 5 p.m. There were no other reports of gunfire.

The victim's leg injury wasn't believed to be life-threatening. He was conscious and talking to paramedics before he was taken to a nearby hospital.

Detectives were expected to continue their investigation into the night. No suspects had been identified as of Wednesday evening. No other details about the incident were immediately available.

Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to call the sheriff's tip line at 425-388-3845.
Reb
Fish, Hunt, Coffee, and Beer! What more does a guy need!!!
NW WWA Best Parking Space
Retired Marine, Now living off the Goverment (Wife's) Tit!!!
Lost Fish
hunter

Re: Get Shot @ Port Susan?

Postby singleyj » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:07 pm

Stories like this are always sad to hear. I had someone shooting at my deeks in a field about a month ago had several rounds hit within 10yards of my laydown blind. Sounded like a 22 or 17. Prob. some kid not knowing they were decoys instead of real birds. We had to make a mad dash for the trucks.
singleyj
hunter

Postby jgoetz » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:55 pm

Doesn't legal shooting for duck hunting stop at 4:25?! Something smells fishy.
Talk crap, get hit!
jgoetz
hunter

Postby Tool-Man » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:21 pm

jgoetz wrote:Doesn't legal shooting for duck hunting stop at 4:25?! Something smells fishy.

The way I read the story, the hunters hunted until last legal shooting time. They were shot at after they had pulled deeks and were on their way back to the launch.

I just hope they catch the nut job that shoot at them.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Join WWA to save the sport. Ask me about it. http://www.waduck.org
Tool-Man
hunter

Postby SnoGeez » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:48 pm

I hope they get this nut job, hard enough with all the crazies out there already. A couple years ago I heard about a hunter killed in a snow goose spread in the Midwest. Some idiot was firing his 22 from the road and took the guy out as he layed in the spread. Others spoke about guys that had been caught glassing for collars and picking them off. Always made a point to get up and walk around the spread if a truck stopped, just stupid how people are.
SnoGeez
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:43 am

I got shot at last year on Penn Cove with a 22. I was a good quarter mile off shore at least and I still beat 911 to the location the shots came from.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby duckhntr42 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:00 am

i know where im not taking my boat! i live about 10 minutes from there. i REALLY hope the detectives catch this idiot!
duckhntr42
hunter

Postby star882 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:19 pm

This was crazy to hear since I have hunted this area and know it could have been me. They better catch this guy and lock him up
star882
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting