jon boat on the nisqually

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr, washingtonmuley

jon boat on the nisqually

Postby The Red Zone » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:19 pm

Hello everyone I was wanting to know would a 12ft jon be ok on the Nisqually? my dad told me since you'll be 17 this year you can go hunt with your friends or by yourself. I have 2.5 dozen decoys myself I'm 5,11 200 and my dog is 60-65lbs I plan on making a blind if I get one because I'll be using it on some sloughs in Chehalis and the Nisqually and I'll be taking the middle bench out. I got a 6hp evenruide, some blind material, and some navigational lights. if I can get some help that will be great.

Collin
The Red Zone
hunter

Re: jon boat on the nisqually

Postby Tool-Man » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:15 pm

I personally know 2 guys that have sunk Jon boats out there... One was 12' and the other was 14'. This is the first year I can remember that there hasn't been a report of someone sinking a boat out there.

You might be OK but I wouldn't do it. If you do, make sure you have ALL your safety gear. Radio, waterproof cell phone, vest etc.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Join WWA to save the sport. Ask me about it. http://www.waduck.org
Tool-Man
hunter

Postby The Red Zone » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:01 pm

thanks what about the sloughs in Chehalis? they got some public places I've been to and it's like as deep as pot holes?
The Red Zone
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:25 pm

Pick your days and weather. There a lot of days when it is plenty calm to hunt. Just be very careful. Do not! Do not. Get that tiny boat loaded down with another guy, dog, gear, and a heavy blind and go out in anything but very calm weather.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby The Red Zone » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:32 pm

thanks
The Red Zone
hunter

Postby drakehntr » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:02 pm

Up til a couple years ago I hunted nisqually with a 12 ft jon and 8 hp johnson. Definately pick your weather. I only hunted calm days and only hunted up mcallister to stay a bit more protected. Chehalis would be better suited for your setup. I own a 16 ft semi V now and still get nervous on poor weather days. Dont risk it if you arent sure. Good luck!
2013/14
27 canada goose
17 mallard
5 teal
2 Gadwall
3 hooded merg
1 Goldeneye
2 spoonie
21 bluebill
8 widgeon
6 pintail
5 bufflehead