Diver recipes?

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, h2ofowlr, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck

Diver recipes?

Postby Roper » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:28 am

I usually get puddle ducks, but this weekend we headed over to Pateros and picked up some divers. I have some scaup and ringnecks and I'm wondering what the best way to fix them might be.

Any hints for this old upland hunter who rarely takes ducks? Thanks...
"a backbone is better than a wishbone..."
Roper
hunter

Re: Diver recipes?

Postby Tool-Man » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:02 am

The ever popular chili is a "go to" for me. :thumbsup:
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Join WWA to save the sport. Ask me about it. http://www.waduck.org
Tool-Man
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:12 am

Take a duck and a board and put it in a roaster and cook it on 350 degrees for a couple hours. When the timer goes off, remove the duck and board from the oven carefully. Remove the lid and then throw the duck away and eat the board! :yes: Old running joke. I would look on the general forum as they might have a bunch of good recipes.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby crazyquacked » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:15 pm

Look up Hank Shaw.
crazyquacked
hunter

Postby Tool-Man » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:16 pm

In all honesty... Just cook it like any other duck meat... Just use a little more seasoning....
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Join WWA to save the sport. Ask me about it. http://www.waduck.org
Tool-Man
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:29 pm

Soak the breast in water for a few days. Change water daily. It helps get out the blood. Marinate in mccormicks tomato basil garlic mix. Tenderize them a bit with a mallet or run them through a tenderizer. Season flour with onion, garlic powder, Tony's, salt, pepper. run the breast through egg and milk wash and then flour. Heat your oil up and pan fry. Put some white gravy on top.

Or if you don't want to fry make poppers. After you marinate, tenderize. Cut into strips add a jalapeño slice, and some cream cheese. Wrap with bacon and grill. ( I precook my bacon a bit in the microwave).
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:28 pm

Cajun1085 wrote:Soak the breast in water for a few days. Change water daily. It helps get out the blood. Marinate in mccormicks tomato basil garlic mix. Tenderize them a bit with a mallet or run them through a tenderizer. Season flour with onion, garlic powder, Tony's, salt, pepper. run the breast through egg and milk wash and then flour. Heat your oil up and pan fry. Put some white gravy on top.

Or if you don't want to fry make poppers. After you marinate, tenderize. Cut into strips add a jalapeño slice, and some cream cheese. Wrap with bacon and grill. ( I precook my bacon a bit in the microwave).

Actually sounds very good. I am going to print this recipe and give it a go.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby Roper » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:47 am

crazyquacked wrote:Look up Hank Shaw.

Now that's what I'm talking about! Thanks!
"a backbone is better than a wishbone..."
Roper
hunter

Postby Duckwise » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:38 pm

For the most part Cook em like any other duck. But depends on the species. Canvasback, Redheads, Greater Scaup, I just fry them seasoned with salt and pepper, dang good. The only Divers that are really not that great in my opinion are Golden Eye I just use them for Pepperoni in very small doses. I rinse duck meat real well trimming any badly blood shot stuff then I soak mine in Salt water for a couple days to remove blood before eating. Got some Bluebill and Jacks soaking right now :thumbsup:
Duckwise
hunter

Postby Odrab » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:00 am

Soak the meat in a basic brine for a couple days then grill or cook over a fire in a cast iron pan.
Odrab
hunter

Postby steelheadslayer » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:21 am

I agree with soaking in water for a few days. Then slice either cross grain or with the grain and soak in buttermilk for 1-2 hours. Then take right from soak, coat in Louisiana fish fry that I get at Fred Meyer in the seafood section. Fry in hot oil to medium rare to medium and enjoy some of the best tasting duck you'll ever eat.
"Opinions are like elbows, everyone seems to have a couple of em."-Phil Roberston
steelheadslayer
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting