Neoprene Waders

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, h2ofowlr, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck

Neoprene Waders

Postby chester870 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:05 pm

How long do your Neoprenes last? I typically hunt once or twice per week and have gone through 2 Cabelas and 1 Macks Prairie Wings waders just this season! Think I need to go back to the ol trusty Hodgmans next year.
chester870
hunter

Re: Neoprene Waders

Postby AnonymousDuck » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:40 pm

The pair I have now (Cabala's), have lasted me about 4 years, but I'm switching to breathable's next season.
Nothing Runs Like a Lab...
SD/SHR, DixieBrit's Waterdog "Dream" Come True.
Member: Combat Veterans Waterfowl Association.

XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Postby chester870 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:13 pm

AnonymousDuck wrote:The pair I have now (Cabala's), have lasted me about 4 years, but I'm switching to breathable's next season.

Think I will too. Have heard good things about them. I tend to bust through ice with my neo's and hope the breathables can hold up the abuse.
chester870
hunter

Postby hammerinhonkers » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:32 pm

Get some breathables. They make some that are reinforced on the knees and shins. These waders are so much nicer than neoprene, I wish I would've switched years ago. Get this glue called "marine goop". You can buy it at any hardware store, its a flexible glue and is great for patching holes. I put a dime sized hole in the rubber boot and it patched it up great with a square of neoprene glued over the hole. Very strong stuff
Brown=Down
hammerinhonkers
hunter

Postby chester870 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:51 pm

hammerinhonkers wrote:Get some breathables. They make some that are reinforced on the knees and shins. These waders are so much nicer than neoprene, I wish I would've switched years ago. Get this glue called "marine goop". You can buy it at any hardware store, its a flexible glue and is great for patching holes. I put a dime sized hole in the rubber boot and it patched it up great with a square of neoprene glued over the hole. Very strong stuff

Marine Goop. Excellent stuff. Works as well as Aqua Seal and much cheaper.
chester870
hunter

Postby ohtajj » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:56 pm

I have a pair of waterfowl wading system neoprene that are on their 5th season. I don't get out as much as a lot of guys, but they've held up really well. I'm trying to convince myself to switch to breathable, but I sure like the extra warmth when its down in the single digits over here on the east side.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk
ohtajj
hunter

Postby somethinsmellsfishy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:53 pm

I started wearing breathable s 3 years ago and wish I had made the switch a long time ago. I wear high tech layers underneath and watch the weather before going, when its colder I gear up. I hunted during that cold spell and never got cold once.
I do not bust through ice but there are waders made to take the strain of doing the tough work, just do your research.

I have two different type of Cabela's breathable s and half a dozen neoprene s that I never wear anymore.

I too was skeptical and did lots of research before buying.

Happy hunting.....

Fishy
somethinsmellsfishy
hunter

Postby star882 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:31 pm

I like the breathables for sure. I have hunted with them for a few years now and havent had any issues with them yet.
star882
hunter

Postby billsarima » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:49 pm

I like my Lacrosse brush tuffs when it's cold and sitting in a blind but I'll be purchasing a pair of breathables for next year's puddle jumping.
Don't say a word about my dog being fat other wise you can fetch your own duck!!!
billsarima
hunter

Postby BM0711 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:00 pm

5 years on my waterfowl wading system neoprene as well!! Tough tough waders! I bought a pair of breathables this year and am fighting leaks after about 20 hunts all of which where walk-ins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BM0711
hunter

Postby chester870 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:58 am

somethinsmellsfishy wrote:I started wearing breathable s 3 years ago and wish I had made the switch a long time ago. I wear high tech layers underneath and watch the weather before going, when its colder I gear up. I hunted during that cold spell and never got cold once.
I do not bust through ice but there are waders made to take the strain of doing the tough work, just do your research.

I have two different type of Cabela's breathable s and half a dozen neoprene s that I never wear anymore.

I too was skeptical and did lots of research before buying.

Happy hunting.....

Fishy

Excellent info here. Thanks Fishy.
chester870
hunter

Postby Tool-Man » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:13 pm

I was a fairly hard core breathable guy until I lost a bunch of weight... Now I'm a neoprene guy or I freeze my nuts off... I just need to be a little careful setting up and picking up decoys or I'll sweat and end up cold.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Join WWA to save the sport. Ask me about it. http://www.waduck.org
Tool-Man
hunter

Postby chester870 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:36 pm

Tool-Man wrote:I was a fairly hard core breathable guy until I lost a bunch of weight... Now I'm a neoprene guy or I freeze my nuts off... I just need to be a little careful setting up and picking up decoys or I'll sweat and end up cold.

they do keep you warm. I'm hearing the key to breathables is layering. Just doesn't seem like the quality is there anymore with the neoprenes.
chester870
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:34 pm

I go through a set every year usually. This year I am on my third set as I had ripped a large hole in my breathable waders and cracked a boot on my 3.5mm that I couldn't keep sealed. I don't like cold wet feet. Wader life will depend on the way you hunt. If you just hunt out of boat you could get years out of them. If your hunting beaver ponds, you might have them shredded on just a few outings or your first use. If your doing a lot of walking with them and have black berries, barbed wire and other sharp sticks they wear out quick.

Most holes can be glued or fixed. Once the boot cracks, it will keep giving you issues especially if it where it flexes frequently. I have tried all sorts of patch options.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby chester870 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:11 pm

h2ofowlr wrote:I go through a set every year usually. This year I am on my third set as I had ripped a large hole in my breathable waders and cracked a boot on my 3.5mm that I couldn't keep sealed. I don't like cold wet feet. Wader life will depend on the way you hunt. If you just hunt out of boat you could get years out of them. If your hunting beaver ponds, you might have them shredded on just a few outings or your first use. If your doing a lot of walking with them and have black berries, barbed wire and other sharp sticks they wear out quick.

Most holes can be glued or fixed. Once the boot cracks, it will keep giving you issues especially if it where it flexes frequently. I have tried all sorts of patch options.

H20, so which do you prefer, Neoprene or Breathable?

99% of my hunting consists of setting decoys in waist/chest high water and sitting in a blind for a few hours. Which would be best for this type of hunting?
chester870
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:33 pm

My waders last for 8 years routinely.
They look ugly by the time I'm done.
Some advice...
Waders are not armor even if the word armor is in the name printed on them.
Learn to "slip quietly" through the water. Quit charging like a bull.
Be one with the water and go with the flow, nice and slow.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:45 pm

chester870 wrote:
h2ofowlr wrote:I go through a set every year usually. This year I am on my third set as I had ripped a large hole in my breathable waders and cracked a boot on my 3.5mm that I couldn't keep sealed. I don't like cold wet feet. Wader life will depend on the way you hunt. If you just hunt out of boat you could get years out of them. If your hunting beaver ponds, you might have them shredded on just a few outings or your first use. If your doing a lot of walking with them and have black berries, barbed wire and other sharp sticks they wear out quick.

H20, so which do you prefer, Neoprene or Breathable?

99% of my hunting consists of setting decoys in waist/chest high water and sitting in a blind for a few hours. Which would be best for this type of hunting?

I prefer the breathable hands down. Easy to move and comfortable. If your standing in water the entire time go neoprene or you will get the chills. I have both, but typically wear breathable all season for the most part.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby joepalouse » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:57 pm

I picked up a pair of breathables with a torn neoprene foot and went to a rafting store. They told me the best fix for torn neoprene - and what they use on rental river rafts - is Aquaseal. It is not cheap but it looks to be a good repair. Seeing this thread made me think I'll try them this weekend instead of waiting for the warm weather.
joepalouse
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting