It's not a Eurasion but ...

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, h2ofowlr, brokerbyduck

It's not a Eurasion but ...

Postby Cougar125 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:17 pm

My command decided that today was going to be a snow day. Why? :huh: There is no snow, but the good idea fairy decided that since 8 people wanted to go skiing that the entire squadron would be off. :grooving:

I decided last night that I would spend my day hunting since I will have my daughter this weekend. This morning when my alarm clock went off, I decided screw it...I'm sleeping in. 0730 rolls around and I get up and load the truck. I hadn't shot my Harli yet this year, but have gotten a few people theirs, so I'd better get mine before the season ends or the next storm blows them out. The decision was made that I would sneakboat a hen Harli for two reasons. 1) They are dumb 2) I need one for the mount I want to do.

I get to the location I am going to launch my marsh rat from and I can see a dozen or so Harli's in my scope. AWESOME!! :clapping: This is great! I paddle out 150 yards or so then start working parallel to the beach. I did not notice what the birds did, but started my approach in. I get about 75 yards from the beach and I'm looking. No birds. :oops: They had flown down the beach a ways, apparently for a great reason. As I start adjusting myself to paddle back out I hear a very loud gasp behind me. I turn my head and a sea lion looks at me, jumps, and dives. TALK ABOUT A PUCKER FACTOR OF 10!! :help: Rather than paddling out to try another sneak in, I paddled to the beach. I waited a few minutes, watching the water to see if it would resurface, before paddling back out. I begin my paddle out and I hear the squeaks of Harlis. I look to the left and there are 4 birds flying directly at me about 5 feet off the water. As they approach I am expecting them to flare off well outside of range, but they didn't. They swung outside of me at about 20 yards and I shot the lead bird.

I begin my paddle over to retrieve the bird and it is a beautiful drake! I was a little disappointed because I shot the only drake in the group and really wanted a hen, but at this point it doesn't matter. He is barrel rolling in the water. As I paddle over to get him I notice a blue colored band around his near leg. I paddled faster as I feared losing a beautiful bird and potentially my first band to the sea lion that I know had just recently been there. I get to him and pick him up. YES!!! :clapping: HE IS BANDED!! :clapping: Since it is my first banded bird, I decided to take him home before pursuing other species within the radius I usually hunt in. The numbers and letters on the band were so faint I had to read the band at an angle. This beautiful bird will go on the wall and is also my first band. He was banded August 20, 2004 in Lake McDonald, Montana.

After discovering where this stud was banded, I headed to another spot I like to hunt to fill my Scoter limit for the day. After getting my long line set, I look over and I have 2 harbor seals looking at me. (The other day while hunting this location with another board member we had porpoises pop up right outside our longlines.) I smacked the water with my paddle and they moved away a few yards, but kept looking at me. I positioned myself where I wanted to be and began to wait. It took only a few minutes before the first Surf swung into the decoys. He was a drake so I shot him. I picked him up and reset. No sooner than I reset did I have another pair swing in. I shot my second drake. It took me longer to setup and tear down the line than it did for me to shoot my Scoters. At this point I decide I'm going to explore a little bit and see what else this area has to offer.

I found another beach access in the area and began glassing. I found a big raft of black birds so I busted out the big scope to check it out further. THERE WERE 400+ BRANT SITTING THERE!! Needless to say it was cool to look at them and whatnot, but today is not a Brant day and this county has no season on them. :sad:

After this discovery I watched the geese for a bit before heading to a spot I generally shoot Goldeneye and Bufflehead in to finish up my limit. I setup and waited. Birds were flying and decoying, but there were no drakes. I let the hens live today. About 3:00 pm my wife called me to go pick up her prescription because it was ready so I just called it a day.

Here is the obligatory photo (Internet scouters, please feel free to get the GPS coords to come shoot one. My dogs would love a snack):
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Re: It's not a Eurasion but ...

Postby h2ofowlr » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:59 pm

Congrats on a nice bird.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby Cougar125 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:49 pm

And I have learned, through FB, that the band on the other leg is a "Tarsus" band. What's that mean?
Cougar125
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:47 am

Did some research! The tarsal band reads BA. I found some data regarding the area which indicates the banding also. He was the only drake in his brood to be banded.

Does anybody know if/where I could order a replacement tarsal band (for the mount) since the one he has one is nearly falling off?

http://mtnhp.org/animal/reports/birds/GNP_Harlequin.pdf
Cougar125
hunter

Postby Tealer » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:05 am

Cougar125 wrote:Did some research! The tarsal band reads BA. I found some data regarding the area which indicates the banding also. He was the only drake in his brood to be banded.

Does anybody know if/where I could order a replacement tarsal band (for the mount) since the one he has one is nearly falling off?

http://mtnhp.org/animal/reports/birds/GNP_Harlequin.pdf

Google band makers, you can get replicas made by the same company that makes them for the USFWS.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Knighttime25 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:47 am

Wow! Congrats on the beautiful harly drake and your first band :thumbsup:
Wack em' and Stack em' boys
Knighttime25
hunter

Postby washingtonmuley » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:54 am

Congrats on the band. I would mount it with the band that is on it as it shows how old the bird is .
washingtonmuley
State Moderator

Postby star882 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:38 pm

Good work!! thats awsome you got a banded Harli!!
star882
hunter

Postby NickT » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:40 pm

BigChunter wrote:
Cougar125 wrote:And I have learned, through FB, that the band on the other leg is a "Tarsus" band. What's that mean?

It's used for iD'ing the bird from lOng range using a sporting scope or binos, only he has the certain number and color combination. and they log the information of when and where it was spotted.

The tarsus is essentially the scientific name for a birds leg, which is where the band is attached to the bird. All bands that are attached via pliers to the birds leg is considered a tarsus band.

Congrats on your banded bird. I'm still waiting for mine!
NickT
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:53 pm

Mount that sucker "as is" is my recommendation. Banded harlies are rare. nice job!
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby AnonymousDuck » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:29 pm

Amazinon and with a band! That would make up for this whole rotten season. Congrats man that's a great looking duck with a prize attached :thumbsup:
Nothing Runs Like a Lab...
SD/SHR, DixieBrit's Waterdog "Dream" Come True.
Member: Combat Veterans Waterfowl Association.

XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:14 pm

Very nice :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting