Contacting LEO's from the blind

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

Contacting LEO's from the blind

Postby crispy8034 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:33 pm

Hi all, I'm curious what the best way to get in touch with WDFW LEO's is while out in the blind, particularly on the weekend? The website http://wdfw.wa.gov/enforcement/reporting_violations.html has contact information but appears to only be useful M-F.

edit: Removed the rant
Last edited by crispy8034 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If trees could scream would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time and for no good reason.
crispy8034
hunter

Re: Contacting LEO's from the blind

Postby somethinsmellsfishy » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:49 pm

crispy8034 wrote:Hi all, I'm curious what the best way to get in touch with WDFW LEO's is while out in the blind, particularly on the weekend? The website http://wdfw.wa.gov/enforcement/reporting_violations.html has contact information but appears to only be useful M-F.

A little background story as to why I'm asking:

While out at a quality hunt site this morning three younger guys showed up and decided to set up 150 yards away from us. There are two blinds on this site, and it's pretty clear that QH locations are restricted to hunting from established blinds. We walked up to them and politely asked them to move, which was responded to with what equates to a firm "no" and a smug statement that the "rules say you only have to be 150 yards away" and that "he's been here before." Not worth the fight, we decided to just deal with it and packed up shortly afterwards.

Due to his response, I really wanted to watch this kid explain to a game warden that either he can't read or he just decided to ignore the sign he parked next to on his way in. I'd rather not call anyone in if I don't have to, but when push comes to shove it would be nice to know the proper channels as I don't think this is something that would be appropriate for a 911 call.

I'll end my cry-fest. If you know anyone who hunts in Skagit at a quality hunt site with a red Isuzu, let them know I say hi and that next time I'll just skip the walk and go straight to the phone. If I can figure out who to call! :hi:

First off, not calling does nothing more than reinforce the illegal, obnoxious and unsportsmanlike behavior! Following the rules even if we do not agree with them is part of being a good sportsman.

Second, coming on here and calling him out is not classy and only tends to aggravate the internet tough guy routine that these obviously classless, unsportsmanlike clods tend to act on.

Just my 2 cts!

Fishy
somethinsmellsfishy
hunter

Postby crispy8034 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:53 pm

somethinsmellsfishy wrote:
First off, not calling does nothing more than reinforce the illegal, obnoxious and unsportsmanlike behavior! Following the rules even if we do not agree with them is part of being a good sportsman.

Second, coming on here and calling him out is not classy and only tends to aggravate the internet tough guy routine that these obviously classless, unsportsmanlike clods tend to act on.

Agreed, rant removed. It was an aggravating morning for sure.

As for calling immediately, I'd prefer to give someone the benefit of the doubt personally, but I don't disagree.
If trees could scream would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time and for no good reason.
crispy8034
hunter

Postby Triggerman » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:27 pm

Call 911, and explain you are calling to report a wildlife violation. They will transfer your call to ths State Patrol. The SP will gather the facts, and send the info to the wildlife officer in your area.

They will ask for your cell phone number, in case the wildlife officer needs additional details.

Don't be shy about calling. These unethical hunters will only stop when penalized.

I've called twice in the last 5 years. On both cases, the wildlife officer called me back within 10 minutes.
SHOW ME YOUR WWA MEMBERSHIP CARD, OR YOU'RE SWIMMING BACK TO THE BOAT LAUNCH!!!
Triggerman
hunter

Postby jgoetz » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:24 pm

Spoke with the Game Warden up here this morning at one of the QH sites. The game warden up here is a pretty stand up fellow. Helps that I play by the rules and always have all my ducks in a row as it were. But he gets info from hunters on what is happening around the area. The QH field we were in this morning is about half a mile from a bunch of other ones. He was wondering if there was early shooters and who seemed to be close to there shell limit. In return he often passes along some pretty useful scouting information as he is a duck hunter himself.

Long story short, (at least up north here) the game wardens are innately in tune with what is going on at the QH fields and take a very proactive approach to ensuring the rules are followed. Give him a call and he would come right out would be my guess.
Talk crap, get hit!
jgoetz
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting