All Around Columbia boat suggestions or specs

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, brokerbyduck, washingtonmuley, h2ofowlr

All Around Columbia boat suggestions or specs

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:56 pm

I am way out on the cash. I am an extreme novice to watercraft.

I am way up the Columbia.

I realize that everything is a give and take, and there are a million Pros and Cons, and a General does nothing very well. But is there a boat that can do it all up here? Duck hunt 2 guys anywhere on the Columbia from the Grand Coulee to the border, as both transport and a boat based blind. Get into some inlets with varying water levels, say 8" of water?

Then be converted to be able to take the wife and dog to do some lake fishing or Columbia fishing(not extreme weather)?

Seems there are lots of modified V flat bottom boats, with hunt decks, pods, surface drives, tunnel hulls, jets, or whatever. But I don't see many boats like that around here.

Any suggestions on what specs to begin looking for?

The GatorTrax Gen II boat below looks like the Cat's Ass to me. But as I said, I have NO experience. Am I way off? This would be for runs of 2-5 miles I'd guess. Looks like the blind can be disassembled after the season leaving one with a pretty serviceable fishing boat. Even if you took fishing for 'eye and 'bows on the Columbia out of the equation. Just launching for ducks and making a run 3-5 miles up or down the river, then fishing local lakes, is this a stupid direction to even begin?

http://www.gatortraxboats.com/p-228-gat ... en-ii.aspx
http://www.gatortraxboats.com/images/genII11.jpg
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Re: All Around Columbia boat suggestions or specs

Postby Chessyboy » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:23 pm

I have a Svendsen 15 ' looks like a jet sled. But has outboard motor. I built my hard side blind halves...very happy with it and I can buzz the blind off in minutes. They are made on the Alaskan coast. 7' wide nearly flat bottom. Great all around.
Chessyboy
hunter

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:42 pm

Think I read you hunt the P.O. Close to me? Obviously your craft works well there? I've not ventured over that way yet. Only been here a few years. I'll look it up. Thanks
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby Chessyboy » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:47 pm

Not sure where you are? I have mostly hunted the PO this year. Still planning to try at least once more this season. But yeah it does work well we've gotten it pretty shallow and hunt from the blind, cook food inside and have a great time BS' ing . 4 shooters is the limit. 2 is better. Plus dog dekes guns n ammo fuel etc.....
Chessyboy
hunter

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:31 am

Never saw anything close to 15' listed. They have a 20' that looks pretty nice. Think they call it a Jet Sled of some sort.
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:36 am

The short answer is no. There is no one boat does it all boat. Pull your shallow water rig with the deep water rig, hide the deep water boat and PADDLE into that 8" skinny water
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Chessyboy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:02 pm

I wonder if mine was custom built I bought it used from original owner. Maybe considered a skiff ?? Has a steering console sm windshield and bench seat storage. 90 HP four stroke is awesome. Gets on step nicely.
Chessyboy
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting