What's the coolest bird you harvested this season?

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

What's the coolest bird you harvested this season?

Postby h2ofowlr » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:13 am

I wanted to see what the coolest bird was you harvested this season. It could of been one you knocked off your trophy list, personal best list, a unique bird, hybrid, rare or the plane run of the mill common.

If it was the moment, place or time a specific bird was harvested, provide the write up on it. Some of the birds harvested may have some great stories. Or the one that you chased a half mile across the bay and 20 shots later kind of story.
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Re: What's the coolest bird you harvested this season?

Postby bknilvr00 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:01 am

My favorite bird as of right now is probably the common goldeneye. Got my wife out for her first hunt a few weeks back with the help of a fellow DHC'r. She got a beautiful hen Goldie and I shot my first full color drake. We are sending them in to birdman studious to get a double mount put together.

Sent from my space modulator.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1390311000734.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1390310975719.jpg
bknilvr00
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:40 am

I don't know what is cooler. Ruddy Shelducks or a double banded Harli.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby Lost Fish » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:28 pm

By far the coolest bird this year is this one.

My oldest boy's first bird!!! What a great year!
Attachments
Ian 1st Bird.jpg
Reb
Fish, Hunt, Coffee, and Beer! What more does a guy need!!!
NW WWA Best Parking Space
Retired Marine, Now living off the Goverment (Wife's) Tit!!!
Lost Fish
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:40 pm

I've shot pretty much everything this state has to offer but so far this year, my favorite duck is the drake wood duck I shot. I was floating a river in my marshrat and ended up with a quadrouple out of three shots on the woodies. Fun hunt and well worth the time and energy I put into it.
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby washingtonmuley » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:02 pm

My coolest were probably the longtails and Harlequin.
washingtonmuley
State Moderator

Postby ohtajj » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:36 pm

Only birds that I shot that were out of the ordinary this year is my first snow. Don't get many of them on the east side, but got one on the opener with my brother in law in Skagit.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk
ohtajj
hunter

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:51 pm

Not mine, but got to see my 64 yr. old Mom shoot her first 2 Canada's that I called in for her. I will never forget that day.
biscuitsandgravy
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:44 pm

One of my most memorable hunts this season was when I was out of the blind chasing down a bird that had glided way off in the distance. My oldest son was out behind the blind getting his bird. My younger son was sitting on the blind waiting for us. I heard a single goose and turned to see it locked up and heading for the decoys. I squatted down and was wondering if my youngest had seen it. He saw it and I watched him take aim and dump it. It was pretty cool as he was shooting 20 gauge 2-3/4" # 6 steel, 7/8 oz loads. As I was heading back to the blind I watched him pick this goose up and drag it back to the blind. It ended up being 12.4 lbs.
Attachments
image.jpg
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby drakehntr » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:49 pm

My Euro/American Widgeon hybrid. Pics are on this forum somewhere. Shot on Columbia River. Was a single on its second passover at 30 yds. I folded him and he fell down my buddy's back. First hybrid of any kind.
2014/15
3 grouse
3 dove
4 buffle
8 widgeon
1 Pintail
3 GWT
1 Mallard
1 Bluebill
1 Gadwall
1 Canvasback
1 Canada Goose
drakehntr
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:51 am

They were a Harli and Surf Scoter I killed while hunting with Bknilvr and Cougar 125 on a two day weekend run north. Puddlers were slow so we pulled off and ran to a spot Cougar 125 knows. We were on a variety of divers at the first spot we stopped. I could have killed a bull Harli standing by the truck at the first stop. The guys were great hosts, fun was had by all, and we managed to put Bella on her first saltwater sea ducks. Bknilvr was not all that fond of having a small boat on the big salt, despite it being dead with no wind and maybe a 1 foot very long swell. He handled it all well and we saw a ton of birds. He was a very generous host and put a ton of work into making it a great hunting weekend.

Harli Large - Rotated.jpg
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby washingtonmuley » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:03 pm

h2ofowlr wrote:One of my most memorable hunts this season was when I was out of the blind chasing down a bird that had glided way off in the distance. My oldest son was out behind the blind getting his bird. My younger son was sitting on the blind waiting for us. I heard a single goose and turned to see it locked up and heading for the decoys. I squatted down and was wondering if my youngest had seen it. He saw it and I watched him take aim and dump it. It was pretty cool as he was shooting 20 gauge 2-3/4" # 6 steel, 7/8 oz loads. As I was heading back to the blind I watched him pick this goose up and drag it back to the blind. It ended up being 12.4 lbs.

Awesome!!!
washingtonmuley
State Moderator

Postby WetlandWarrior » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:36 pm

Mine were plain run of the mill birds. What made it special is it was my sons an one of my best friends sons first season this year. We took them out on the youth hunt for the weekend and let them blast away.

The Boys
2013 Youth Hunt (4).jpg

My Son (Chase)
2013 Youth Hunt (5).jpg

Friends Son (Wyatt)
2013 Youth Hunt (6).jpg

He had a lot of firsts this year. First limit, first double, and first goose.
Chase Snow Goose.jpg

What a Great Season!!!
WetlandWarrior
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:24 pm

BigChunter wrote:
brokerbyduck wrote:I've shot pretty much everything this state has to offer but so far this year, my favorite duck is the drake wood duck I shot. I was floating a river in my marshrat and ended up with a quadrouple out of three shots on the woodies. Fun hunt and well worth the time and energy I put into it.

Uhhhh... Did I miss read this?

I guess you did, what's your point? :huh:
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby Tealer » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:51 pm

brokerbyduck wrote:
BigChunter wrote:
brokerbyduck wrote:I've shot pretty much everything this state has to offer but so far this year, my favorite duck is the drake wood duck I shot. I was floating a river in my marshrat and ended up with a quadrouple out of three shots on the woodies. Fun hunt and well worth the time and energy I put into it.

Has none.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby skagitduckwacker » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:34 am

My first Eurasian. Pics to follow when the taxi returns it to me.
Duck dogs go to heaven too.
skagitduckwacker
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:48 pm

BigChunter wrote:
Tealer wrote:
brokerbyduck wrote:
BigChunter wrote:

Has none.

When's turkey camp this year?

Probably some time during turkey season I would think. Will you be providing alcohol and lodging or just lodging this year?
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby bknilvr00 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:21 pm

UPDATE:

Well I thought my common goldeneye and my wifes common hen were the birds of the season, until today.... Went out for the last day of my season, and had a slow start due to the fog keeping the birds down. After the fog let up and got the boat relocated, managed to connect on my first Barrows Goldeneye. I knew it was a drake goldeneye on the wing, and I knew for certain it was a barrows when the shot connected and he tumbled. Im rather excited about it. Looks like I'll be footing the bill for a triple goldie mount this summer lol.

Will attach pictures when I resize them...
Attachments
IMAG1004 (800x451).jpg
IMAG1005 (800x451).jpg
bknilvr00
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:37 pm

bknilvr00 wrote:UPDATE:

Well I thought my common goldeneye and my wifes common hen were the birds of the season, until today.... Went out for the last day of my season, and had a slow start due to the fog keeping the birds down. After the fog let up and got the boat relocated, managed to connect on my first Barrows Goldeneye. I knew it was a drake goldeneye on the wing, and I knew for certain it was a barrows when the shot connected and he tumbled. Im rather excited about it. Looks like I'll be footing the bill for a triple goldie mount this summer lol.

I shot one today too but mine is much more green than yours.
Barrows.jpg

Barrows2.jpg
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby johnsonthehunter » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:23 pm

Definitely my banded snow goose! I didnt get in to too many rare birds this year other than him.
Attachments
snow goose band 2.jpg
All/Ways Outdoors
johnsonthehunter
hunter

Postby steelheadslayer » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:06 pm

First redhead I've ever seen in the area I hunt but it wasn't alone. Maybe they'll start showing up in greater numbers in the future.
"Opinions are like elbows, everyone seems to have a couple of em."-Phil Roberston
steelheadslayer
hunter

Postby star882 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:28 pm

I had a great year exploring new areas and learning alot of open water areas. I had never hunted sea duck before this year and managed to get some White Wing Scoters and Surf Scoters which look pretty cool but the coolest bird i got was my 1st Harli on the last day of the season this year. Next year i plan to gear up and get a Brant and Longtail
star882
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:12 am

So I have a dilemma. The 2nd day of the season I tripled on Ruddy Shelducks (have a witness). Late in the season I shot a double banded Harlequin, and the last day of the season I shot 2 drake Old Squaw (my 2nd and 3rd ever). I've shot some stud Goldeneye this year too.

The dilemma is I don't know what I should mount an in what order. Any help?
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby COYOTE JLR » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:43 am

Cougar125 wrote:So I have a dilemma. The 2nd day of the season I tripled on Ruddy Shelducks (have a witness). Late in the season I shot a double banded Harlequin, and the last day of the season I shot 2 drake Old Squaw (my 2nd and 3rd ever). I've shot some stud Goldeneye this year too.

The dilemma is I don't know what I should mount an in what order. Any help?

I'd mount them in the order that you've got them listed. Those Shelducks are something truly unique, with the Harlequin a close second. Congrats on the awesome season! Hopefully I'll have some luck like that next season. :bow:
COYOTE JLR
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:33 am

bknilvr00 wrote:UPDATE:

GPS that spot, I will bring the GE decoys and we will put a smack down on them next year.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Next

Return to Washington Duck Hunting