Ridgefield NWR

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

Ridgefield NWR

Postby lunatic » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:57 pm

Never been to Ridfield NWR to hunt and this up coming season I want to give it a try.

I am going to do myq home work over the summer, but I just want to get some ideas on what to expect on road and trails to the blinds conditions during the season. Is it muddy or gravel?

Thanks
"Semper Fi"
lunatic
hunter

Re: Ridgefield NWR

Postby h2ofowlr » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:54 am

Head down and check it out. The season is not over and they will be hunting this weekend. You could pick up all the info. Depending on trails, they could be muddy by this time of year. They should be good in Oct. though. Plan on shooting some boot lips, unless you hold back.
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:18 am

I still need to slip out there and pop a Boot Lip Drake in full plumage and a hen for my collection. The drakes are beautiful birds.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby lunatic » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:59 am

I've been out of the duck hunting loop for a while now. In the past, I hunted Fort Lewis. Ridgefield is about 1.5 hours from Olympia or a little less. Good idea on going down there to check it out.

Boot lips, I'll shoot'm.

I got to get back into wing shooting, been five years or more since I fired a shotgun.
"Semper Fi"
lunatic
hunter

Postby goosegunner12 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:55 pm

Ridgefield is easy to get around for the most part. The trails are fairly short and dry . But very few of the blinds can you take a cart all the way to the blind. Most of the trails giveaway to the flooded water line which some can still leave a pretty good haul left to get to the blind, that's where it can get crappy.
goosegunner12
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:27 pm

Bring a cart with a sled sitting in it. When you hit water, float the sled the rest of the way. Makes for easier hauling.
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Return to Washington Duck Hunting