duck ID?

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

duck ID?

Postby drakehntr » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:30 pm

I finally got stumped. Hunting bluebills and puddlers in SW WA on Columbia. I have shot lots of bluebill hens and Ringneck hens to have a good idea of what they look like. I have never shot a Redhead before but thought the bottom bird might be a Redhead hen. Could be a Ringneck too, but they usually have ring on the bill. So do I have my first redhead? Overall a great day and mixed bag today...widgeon, mallard, pintail, and lots of Scaup!
2013/14
27 canada goose
17 mallard
5 teal
2 Gadwall
3 hooded merg
1 Goldeneye
2 spoonie
21 bluebill
8 widgeon
6 pintail
5 bufflehead
1 Redhead
1 Ruddy
drakehntr
hunter

Re: duck ID?

Postby Cougar125 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:47 pm

They both look like bluebill or ringneck.

If I had to guess, I would say the top is a XXY bluebill perhaps. The bottom is a hen. Ringneck or bluebill. Not sure from the pic.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:50 pm

110% without a doubt ... Hands down ... Ringneck Hen.

Congrats
: Waterfowl Junkie & Host of "Pacific Flyway Radio"

Ragged Outdoors Pro Staff Drinking Team
Killians Irish Red Pro Staff Drinking Team
Famous Dave's BBQ Rib Tip Platter Phat Boy Team
BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:43 pm

BigBlondeBirdDog wrote:110% without a doubt ... Hands down ... Ringneck Hen.

Congrats

What tipped you off to go 110% on the ringneck hen? Redhead and ringneck hens are pretty similar, what was the deciding factor for you?
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:18 pm

wing

BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby drakehntr » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:40 pm

Thanks on the id. This bird just seemed much bigger, had an almost cinnamon head, and didnt have the usual pronounced stripe on bill like other Ringneck hens I have killed. Just was hoping I got my first Redhead. I did see a Bull Canvasback today. Maybe I can kill him on the last day! Thanks again for the help!
2013/14
27 canada goose
17 mallard
5 teal
2 Gadwall
3 hooded merg
1 Goldeneye
2 spoonie
21 bluebill
8 widgeon
6 pintail
5 bufflehead
1 Redhead
1 Ruddy
drakehntr
hunter

Postby johnsonthehunter » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:27 pm

BigBlondeBirdDog wrote:110% without a doubt ... Hands down ... Ringneck Hen.

Congrats

I completely agree
All/Ways Outdoors
johnsonthehunter
hunter

Postby Tealer » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:08 pm

If it's a bit bigger it should be a redhead, ringers are smaller I thought?
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby drakehntr » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:33 am

That is what threw me. It was definately bigger.
2013/14
27 canada goose
17 mallard
5 teal
2 Gadwall
3 hooded merg
1 Goldeneye
2 spoonie
21 bluebill
8 widgeon
6 pintail
5 bufflehead
1 Redhead
1 Ruddy
drakehntr
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:19 pm

It threw you because you are looking at a redhead hen. :thumbsup:
I asked BBBD what made him so certain it was a ringer cause I think it's pretty clearly a redhead. The two are very similar and without both of them in hand to compare it's tough to judge.

Best thing to do is point your gun at the drakes in the future and you'll easily tell the difference. :biggrin:

Did she come in alone?
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:48 pm

That top bird looks like a young of the year drake to me. They don't fully plume out until their second year. Or so I believe. Perhaps a biologist can weigh in on that one. We shoot a lot of young of the year drakes that look like that, though they normally have more white with vermiculation spotted across the back than that bird does.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:53 pm

brokerbyduck wrote:It threw you because you are looking at a redhead hen. :thumbsup:
I asked BBBD what made him so certain it was a ringer cause I think it's pretty clearly a redhead. The two are very similar and without both of them in hand to compare it's tough to judge.

Best thing to do is point your gun at the drakes in the future and you'll easily tell the difference. :biggrin:

Did she come in alone?

Completely agree, ... If its not in hand, its a hard one to call ... UNLESS you shoot them a lot. I harvested 30+ this year, now while that may not be a lot to some ... Last season ringneck total was almost 60.

Now, take away the blood splat on the side of the head ... and follow that line of white showing ... and look at this head.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=Sj0zUoMz4A0bUM&tbnid=bBIwqOePJWCfVM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov%2Finfocenter%2Fi1500id.html&ei=JvDmUpmiMYzkoATqoIFw&bvm=bv.59930103,d.cGU&psig=AFQjCNEurLbsKBLA6YLa-4HCcwuuVIkYrw&ust=1390952788035188

BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby dbmickle » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:07 pm

The duck is a redhead.. Look up the size comparisons on bluebills and ringnecks. They are identical. The bottom duck is clearly larger.. And not by a small margin. The head and bill also don't look like a hen ringneck.

I don't shoot 30, or 60 ringers in a year... But the measurements alone point to redhead
dbmickle
hunter

Postby drakehntr » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:26 pm

She came in alone. I would have loved to shoot a drake but the last two days of season we mostly had singles coming in to the decoys. She flew in just like all the bluebills. Ringnecks in the past have come by at mach 10 then banked right in. She came in low to water with wings set committed to the spread. So I believe this to be a Redhead due to size (thats why I pictured her next to hen scaup) and flying behavior. I really appreciate the help on this guys!
2013/14
27 canada goose
17 mallard
5 teal
2 Gadwall
3 hooded merg
1 Goldeneye
2 spoonie
21 bluebill
8 widgeon
6 pintail
5 bufflehead
1 Redhead
1 Ruddy
drakehntr
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:15 pm

drakehntr wrote:She came in alone. I would have loved to shoot a drake but the last two days of season we mostly had singles coming in to the decoys. She flew in just like all the bluebills. Ringnecks in the past have come by at mach 10 then banked right in. She came in low to water with wings set committed to the spread. So I believe this to be a Redhead due to size (thats why I pictured her next to hen scaup) and flying behavior. I really appreciate the help on this guys!

I'm just messing with you about the drake thing although they are much easier to id. :biggrin:
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby brokerbyduck » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:17 pm

BigBlondeBirdDog wrote:
brokerbyduck wrote:It threw you because you are looking at a redhead hen. :thumbsup:

Did she come in alone?

Completely agree, ... If its not in hand, its a hard one to call ... UNLESS you shoot them a lot. I harvested 30+ this year, now while that may not be a lot to some ... Last season ringneck total was almost 60.

Now, take away the blood splat on the side of the head ... and follow that line of white showing ... and look at this head.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=Sj0zUoMz4A0bUM&tbnid=bBIwqOePJWCfVM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov%2Finfocenter%2Fi1500id.html&ei=JvDmUpmiMYzkoATqoIFw&bvm=bv.59930103,d.cGU&psig=AFQjCNEurLbsKBLA6YLa-4HCcwuuVIkYrw&ust=1390952788035188

We'll have to agree to disagree cause that bird in that picture is a hen redhead. :beer:
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:02 am

Well, without the "bird in the hand", I agree to disagree. No worries though.

BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting