Duck Hunting Forum banner

duck ID?

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  BigBlondeBirdDog 
#1 ·

I finally got stumped. Hunting bluebills and puddlers in SW WA on Columbia. I have shot lots of bluebill hens and Ringneck hens to have a good idea of what they look like. I have never shot a Redhead before but thought the bottom bird might be a Redhead hen. Could be a Ringneck too, but they usually have ring on the bill. So do I have my first redhead? Overall a great day and mixed bag today...widgeon, mallard, pintail, and lots of Scaup!

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks on the id. This bird just seemed much bigger, had an almost cinnamon head, and didnt have the usual pronounced stripe on bill like other Ringneck hens I have killed. Just was hoping I got my first Redhead. I did see a Bull Canvasback today. Maybe I can kill him on the last day! Thanks again for the help!

#10 ·
It threw you because you are looking at a redhead hen. :thumbsup:
I asked BBBD what made him so certain it was a ringer cause I think it's pretty clearly a redhead. The two are very similar and without both of them in hand to compare it's tough to judge.

Best thing to do is point your gun at the drakes in the future and you'll easily tell the difference. :biggrin:

Did she come in alone?

#11 ·
That top bird looks like a young of the year drake to me. They don't fully plume out until their second year. Or so I believe. Perhaps a biologist can weigh in on that one. We shoot a lot of young of the year drakes that look like that, though they normally have more white with vermiculation spotted across the back than that bird does.

#12 ·
brokerbyduck said:
I asked BBBD what made him so certain it was a ringer cause I think it's pretty clearly a redhead. The two are very similar and without both of them in hand to compare it's tough to judge.

Best thing to do is point your gun at the drakes in the future and you'll easily tell the difference. :biggrin:

Did she come in alone?
Completely agree, ... If its not in hand, its a hard one to call ... UNLESS you shoot them a lot. I harvested 30+ this year, now while that may not be a lot to some ... Last season ringneck total was almost 60.

Now, take away the blood splat on the side of the head ... and follow that line of white showing ... and look at this head.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...bsKBLA6YLa-4HCcwuuVIkYrw&ust=1390952788035188

#13 ·
The duck is a redhead.. Look up the size comparisons on bluebills and ringnecks. They are identical. The bottom duck is clearly larger.. And not by a small margin. The head and bill also don't look like a hen ringneck.

I don't shoot 30, or 60 ringers in a year... But the measurements alone point to redhead

#14 ·
She came in alone. I would have loved to shoot a drake but the last two days of season we mostly had singles coming in to the decoys. She flew in just like all the bluebills. Ringnecks in the past have come by at mach 10 then banked right in. She came in low to water with wings set committed to the spread. So I believe this to be a Redhead due to size (thats why I pictured her next to hen scaup) and flying behavior. I really appreciate the help on this guys!

#15 ·
drakehntr said:
She came in alone. I would have loved to shoot a drake but the last two days of season we mostly had singles coming in to the decoys. She flew in just like all the bluebills. Ringnecks in the past have come by at mach 10 then banked right in. She came in low to water with wings set committed to the spread. So I believe this to be a Redhead due to size (thats why I pictured her next to hen scaup) and flying behavior. I really appreciate the help on this guys!
I'm just messing with you about the drake thing although they are much easier to id. :biggrin:

#16 ·
BigBlondeBirdDog said:
brokerbyduck said:

Did she come in alone?
Completely agree, ... If its not in hand, its a hard one to call ... UNLESS you shoot them a lot. I harvested 30+ this year, now while that may not be a lot to some ... Last season ringneck total was almost 60.

Now, take away the blood splat on the side of the head ... and follow that line of white showing ... and look at this head.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...bsKBLA6YLa-4HCcwuuVIkYrw&ust=1390952788035188
We'll have to agree to disagree cause that bird in that picture is a hen redhead. :beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.