smokercraft alaskan

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

smokercraft alaskan

Postby The Red Zone » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:49 pm

does anybody use a smokercraft alaskan and how do they do over at potholes I have a family friend that's thinking about getting one and he wants to know how they handle shallow water? Any help will be great
The Red Zone
hunter

Re: smokercraft alaskan

Postby steelheadslayer » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:58 pm

I had a 15 footer for 21 years. I mainly hunted the Lower Columbia but did make a few trips over to Potholes. What I liked about it was that it was light and floated in relatively very little water. Myself or if needed, a partner, could get it in the water somehow as the tide went out. What I didn't like was the tippyness when dogs and partners got on one side of the boat and the lack of room for hauling a lot of decoys. It was very easy to hide especially after I painted it olive drab green. It served me well for all those years.

I now have a 20' Alumaweld that is a lot more stable and I can haul a crapload of decoys. I don't plan on painting it and hiding it is not an easy thing.
"Opinions are like elbows, everyone seems to have a couple of em."-Phil Roberston
steelheadslayer
hunter

Postby duckhntr42 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:56 am

i've been using a 2002 12' alaskan for a couple years now. i love that little boat. i use it for ducks and fishing all the time. i wish it was a little bigger of course but its smaller size has really payed off duck hunting. i can just pull it behind me and tuck it up in the weeds if i need to or hunt right out of it. i salmon fish the lower snohomish river out of it too with no problems. i have a 9.9 motor and an electric minn kota. the 15' model seems to me like the perfect size for fishing and hunting. wish my boat had the split rear bench seat.
duckhntr42
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:04 am

I had a 15' Pro-Alaskan and loved it. Thought I needed something bigger, so I went bigger, but missed the smaller boat as it was easy to drag if needed. Handled well in rougher water and didn't draft to much water. We used it on the Columbia frequently and would hunt from shore vs. boat and we would drag the boat up onto dry ground. I did pull the middle seating out of it to hold more decoys. I had a 30hp on it and it worked like a champ. If the price is right, it would be a good rig, unfortunately there is always something else that comes up. At one time I had 5 boats and have sold most of them over the past 6 years.
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby B_Squared » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:16 pm

I think the size is right for a Vee on the potholes. I've had my Crestliner 16 1/2 ft in there a number of times. I have launched in the back end and from the state park. Low enough draft I can get to the areas I want to and big enough I can make it back if the wind picks up. Usually not a problem if you launch in the back end but something to keep in mind if you launch from the state park.
B_Squared
hunter

Postby Snowgoose1 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:04 pm

It will work fine for the potholes. Just go until you get near bottom and walk, the sand is firm in most places. If you have a small kicker you can tilt the motor a little and get into what ever the boat sits in. We don't hunt out of the boat over there. Set the decoys go park the boat and hunt out of an already built blind. Should be awesome for over there.
Snowgoose1
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting