Duck Hunting Forum banner

Mature Pintail?

5K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  AnonymousDuck 
#1 ·
How can you tell if a pintail is mature? I killed my first one with a sprig this weekend. It's not very long, but I read they can vary in length regardless of age. Can anyone tell me if this is a mature bird or not? Thinking about putting it on the wall, as this is my favorite bird and first one I have killed that looked nice.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
It does have a slight hue of purple when the light hits it right. I thought I read somewhere about the colors near the tail feathers. I would like to mount both, but I think the funds only only for one. Any recommendations for taxidermists? I read a lot of people recommend Leon, just curious if there is anyone on the west side?

#11 ·
Send one in and throw the other in the freezer for now. Both look real nice in the pic but if it were me, I'd send the pintail in first. He's a looker.

There are a lot of good taxidermists out there and I'm sure you could find one on the west side if location is important to you. Personally, I have several ducks and geese at Leon's right now. I'm pickier than most when it comes to mounts and I prefer to send my trophies to guys who have been in the business a long time and are very skilled. You are going to be looking at that bird for a long time, make sure you choose someone who will give you the quality you will be happy with today and in the future.

#14 ·
greatwhite said:
Unfortunately, I didn't think to take any more pictures. I will probably end up giving Leon a call, it seems that a lot of people recommend him. I am going to see about shipping a bird to him, otherwise it would be close to a 9-10 hour round trip.
Depending on how many people take birds to him... we could throw together taxi train... Ive got 4 birds I need mounted, but im probably 2-3 hours away traffic permitting... Id be willing to take some birds and do a hand off to the next guy to get them there... any body interested?

#15 ·
I have had two birds done by Leon now and couldn't be happier with his quality of work :thumbsup: I always just overnighted them Fed-Ex from Mount Vernon to Tri-Cities and cost about $40 or so, and then made the trip down to pick them up. Shipping them one way is cheaper than I can drive and they will get there the next morning. Plus if you ship this time of year you don't have to worry about them thawing any. Here's Leon's quality of work:

#16 ·
I'm most likely going to have to make a trip from tri cities to the Lynden area in the next couple of weeks. Those birds can ride back with me if you want to avoid the shipping charges.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.