The "Karma Circle" is Complete!

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

The "Karma Circle" is Complete!

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:33 pm

So, first let me just prewarn you that this story is gonna be alittle on the long side, but worth every reading moment, I assure you, given a chance ... Karma will come your way, and here is my story.

My true father John passed away when I was 22, and I had that as a void for several years. 6+yrs ago my Father-In-Law Kevin came into my life. BIG MAN, ... made me look small. LOVED hunting and family. Would do whatever he could to help you out, anytime. Last year, Kevin, my daughter and I made the trip over to the Portland Sportsman's Show, and even though Kevin had a very hard time with his feet at the time, we made the day trip over and back. For 4hrs+ we did nothing but talk about hunting, family, and good times. Man that trip brings back some very good memories ... Even though my Dad wasn't a "bird" guy, he loved hearing my stories of hunting. It wasn't all about the kill for him, rather a love of the outdoors that we had a bound with.

So, on the way back home, I was but wasn't surprised when he reached around the truck seat and handed me a box, ... a brand new pair of Bushnell Waterproof h2o 8x42 binocs that he worked out a deal for through a guy he knew ... for the record, my Dad knew everybody. I thanked him and was very excited to use them in my new boat, and for the upcoming waterfowl season.

April 14th that excitement took a backseat as my Father In Law Kevin, ... passed away suddenly of a blood clot. He left behind 3 very heart broken daughters, ... but also a son in law that lost his Dad for the second time, ... and a very close friend. Love and miss ya Dad.

Fast forward to the week before Thanksgiving along the Yakima River. I'm sitting with my cousin and his friend, as I'm taking them on a diver hunt, along with my dog/boy Gauge. A huge Drake Goldeneye swings into the spread, cousin pops him, but the bird dives ... Gauge is on him, but in a swift current, the chase is on. As Gauge keeps getting to the bird, it would dive into the current, and head farther, and farther, and farther downstream. In less than 5min, my dog is over 300yrds, and out of his collar range ... and I suddenly realize, I could lose my dog, I can only see a speck in the binocs now, and a fear has come over me, along with PANIC! I start to run down the shore, yelling ... Nothing, ... run more ... Nothing. Then, as an oylmpic sprinter, I run back to the blind, ... grab my car keys ... and sprint 300yrds up to the truck ... jump in ... and drive 1.2 """"MILES"""" down river only to see my boy swimming back to shore ... holding a drake goldeneye. PROUD PAPA, PROUD PAPA ... WAY TO GO BOY!!!!

I tell you that story because that's the last time I saw those binocs. Somewhere between running the shoreline down, ... and back up ... then up to the truck, ... running down the hill to met my dog and grab the duck, ... somewhere the binocs fell off my lanyard. Talk about a high and low moment. Those were PRICELESS and here I lost them in less than one season! Came home and cried like a baby over them, felt like I let dad down, not taking care of his gear.

Off I head to Big5 for another pair, after Thanksgiving sale, ... cheap, waterproof and nowhere near as nice as the ones I just left on the Yakima. Everytime I look through these new ones, it kinda reminds me of how nice those Bushnells were.

Don't know if you all know, but a week AFTER Thanksgiving while scouting, I found a brand new Berreta A4 Camo'd shotty worth about $1,500. After several thread and hints, I found the owner, we met up ... I returned it to its rightful owner Sean. He explained how he was very grateful, explained how he left it on the shore, and how he'd never forget the jesture of me returning his shotty. This gent's, is where the Good Karma circle started.

Fast forward to the last day of the 13-14 season. 3 of us in the same blind where I lost the binocs. Bittersweet really. End of Season, time flies by way to quickly. We are doing ok, but around the 8th-9th-10th bird, a Drake Buffy comes along ... Lung shot, he glides down the shore 85-100yrds and crumples. Cody has his dog Dutch, their outta the blind & off down river. A couple feet from where the buffy landed, in the sand, he bents down and picks up ... that's right ... a pair of Bushnell Waterproof h2o 8x42 binocs. He comes back to the blind and just hands them to me ... I'm shocked, truly SHOCKED ... start crying like a baby, don't care if they even work or not ... I gott'em back! Call Mama on the phone, crying, just to tell her I gott'em. THANK GAWD I HAVE THEM BACK!

So today, after work I come home and put the Noc's in the dishwasher, THATS RIGHT (Waterproof, right?) the dishwasher for 3 or 4 cycles. I then grab about 30-40 Q-tips, a WAD of cottonballs, a bottle of windex, a can of WD40 and an old toothbrush. I soak the lens with windex, toothbrush the crap outta everything, and slowly but surely, they come back to life ... Probably ruined on the inside right ? .... """"NOPE""""" ... These things are just perfect. After spending about 60 days on the bottom of the Yakima, no leaks ... a couple scraps, but no leaks ... PERFECT!

First, I wanna thank Cody, or on DHC a.k.a. "Columbia Basin Local" and my partner in crime for the season. Great guy, and even better friend. For our second season, first full as a team, we did pretty freakin good and only gonna get better! Next, odd to say, but thanks to Sean for losing that shotty and throwing "Good Karma" my way when I did the right thing. Last but not least ... Thanks Dad ... First for giving these Noc's to me, but maybe for even letting that Drake land in eye sight along the river, and for making the Army Corp of Engineers for dropping the Yakima on the last day so 30-45yrds of shoreline were exposed. Lowest level I have ever seen it .... WICKED low!

Last, ... For the record ... I will NEVER buy another pair of Binoc's if they aren't Bushnells ... Man those guys have me sold!

So, without further ado ...

Last edited by BigBlondeBirdDog on Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
: Waterfowl Junkie & Host of "Pacific Flyway Radio"

Ragged Outdoors Pro Staff Drinking Team
Killians Irish Red Pro Staff Drinking Team
Famous Dave's BBQ Rib Tip Platter Phat Boy Team
BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Re: The "Karma Circle" is Complete!

Postby 12ganooby » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:57 pm

Thanks for the great read.
Your fathers are smiling from above. God bless you and the next knocks I buy will l be Bushnell.
fall on your knees in the muck guy
12ganooby
hunter

Postby Columbia Basin Local » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:24 pm

Damn brother, those cleaned up real well! Didn't think they would ever work, probably would have bet on it. Very glad they did and somehow fate and karma came together finding those. It was meant to be. Great season BTW :beer:
"We're calling, because the birds won't respond to texts."- Jim Ronquest, RNT-V
Columbia Basin, home of the sagebrush duck blind!

Cody
Columbia Basin Local
hunter

Postby Knighttime25 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:21 pm

Thanks for the write-up BBBD, brought a tear to my eye knowing exactly how precious the more simple things in life can be that we sometimes take for granted. Somebody was watching over you smiling down from above :thumbsup:
Wack em' and Stack em' boys
Knighttime25
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:19 am

Very cool, those things don't look like they were ever even dirty now. Glad you got them back!
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:35 am

: Probably should have taken a "Before & After" photo ... But as CBL could vouch ... They were an absolute mess. Where ever there was a ridge, there was either sand or mud, algea or all. The bend in the center for adjusting was packed with all three and more. The lens covers were packed.

The Bushnell logo was white when I gott'em of course, not now, but that's cosmetic. Still alittle grindy when you adjust, only because theres sand in places I can't get to. Probably could send to a professional cleaner, but don't need to I guess now.

BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby drakehntr » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:43 am

Just an awesome story
2013/14
27 canada goose
17 mallard
5 teal
2 Gadwall
3 hooded merg
1 Goldeneye
2 spoonie
21 bluebill
8 widgeon
6 pintail
5 bufflehead
1 Redhead
1 Ruddy
drakehntr
hunter

Postby goosegunner12 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:02 pm

Couldn't of happened to a better guy! Glad you gott'em back Murph.
goosegunner12
hunter

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:37 pm

Thanks brother

BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby AnonymousDuck » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:48 pm

Really great story, thank you for sharing it.
Nothing Runs Like a Lab...
SD/SHR, DixieBrit's Waterdog "Dream" Come True.
Member: Combat Veterans Waterfowl Association.

XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Postby somethinsmellsfishy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:01 am

I remember your story about the shotgun and thought it was great for you to get that gun back into its owner's hands. ( I have an A400 extreme and would be panicked if I had left it somewhere)

Touching story about two men that have impacted your life and how something offered as a gift has turned into cherished memories and a future family heirloom with a story!

Fishy
somethinsmellsfishy
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:17 am

Good story. I have located a few items over the years that we have left behind or other crews, but nothing with a story like yours. Glad they still worked for you.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:36 am

Well, as the story continues ... I have bought and installed a pair of Bushnell Binoc strap, and just to REALLY make sure this doesn't happen again ... I removed the metal rings that hold onto the Binocs ... and installed two much larger, much STRONGER rings.

Then, with the "removed" rings, I secured it again to a different part of the straps ... There are 4 points of contact/security on these bad boys now.

Last but not least, ... Oddly enough, ... someone from "North American Waterfowler" contacted me about if they could write an article, ... and I also put it on Bushnells Facebook page, ... and they have asked for my address.

I'm just bouncing off the walls that I have them back, ... and haven't even put them away yet. It just makes me feel good looking at them for the past week or so. Can't believe there back.

BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting